Needing your opinion on which .308/7.62 rifle

This is a discussion on Needing your opinion on which .308/7.62 rifle within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm looking for for A Rifle in 7.62/.308 semi that would be good for the annual deer hunt or two, and still be counted on ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Needing your opinion on which .308/7.62 rifle

Needing your opinion on which .308/7.62 rifle

I'm looking for for A Rifle in 7.62/.308 semi that would be good for the annual deer hunt or two, and still be counted on to deal with the Zombie hoards when the you know what hits the fan. I have a nice bushy 5.56 but would like a dual purpose any opinions?
    It is not wrong to be Right
    An apeaser is a man who hopes that the crocidle eats him last

2. Remove Ads

You could always go for a AR-15 chambers for 308. I plan to pick one up eventually.

Springfield M1A. I would look into the Scout model or the Standard for what you want it for.
    "Planning to draw and chamber a round after TSHTF is like planning to fasten your seatbelt after you see the other guy run a stopsign..."

Professional hand engraver.
    To see full picture of knife in Avatar click here

If you want a more traditional rifle than go with your Remington's or Savage. Most .308 semis will be found in ARs, and the CETME HK clones...both of which I have seen shot, and both handle plenty fine. The AR and CETME clones both have a lot of great accessories as well.

AR in .308

I just got my first AR in .308 from DPMS. It is a great gun, but I'm not certain it would be my first choice for hunting. Aside from the fact that I feel a little silly with a 'black rifle' around fellow hunters who are carrying walnut-stocked traditionals, I'd pay just as much for a 5-rd magazine as you would for a 20...(what gives?).

I leave my AR in 5.56 for plinking at the range or for varmit. I think you'll be very happy with the added oomph of the larger caliber. Also, you may want to look into an AR that shoots the relatively new Grendel 6.5. The ballistics of this round are pretty AMAZING. Also, Remington is making the 6.8, so ammunition will soon be EVERYWHERE and less expensive than either 6.5 or .308

I think you'd be better off with something traditional if all you want is to hunt. Why pay $1200+ for an AR when you can get a great Enfield in .303 or .308 with a beautiful stock on it for $250?
    A man in the hands of his enemies is flesh, and shudderingly vulnerable. - author unknown

I have a Springfield M1A Bush (18") and a DPMS .308 16". Both are fine rifles and fun to shoot. Both are very accurate. For the zombies, either will work although reloads (for me) are faster with the DPMS.

For chasing Bambi, I'd get a bolt gun.

Dave

My M1A has given good service for years. It receives a modicum of high-power match use and occasional range time so hasn't been subjected to rigorous shooting.

I'm prejudiced but feel any collection of firearms of any size should have a good scoped .30 bolt rifle. Mine's in .30-06 but .308 qualifies as well. Magnum .30's? Who needs 'em?

Senior Moderator
    I have a FAL I use for deer hunting. I have a DSA scope mount on it with a 5 round Mag. I've got 20 round mags for the zombies, plus FAL mags are cheap
    You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.

― Robert A. Heinlein,

If you want Semi then a M1A for a bolt hard to beat remington or ruger

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    if you're looking for a semi-auto, check out this thread. I chose a PTR-91, and I love it. If you're open to bolt-guns, I don't have very much info though.

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ad.php?t=31336
    "A well-educated electorate, being necessary to the continuance of a free state, the right of the people to keep and read books shall not be infringed."
    Is this hard to understand? Then why does it get unintelligible to some people when 5 little words are changed?

Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    I have a FAL I use for deer hunting. I have a DSA scope mount on it with a 5 round Mag. I've got 20 round mags for the zombies, plus FAL mags are cheap
    I'm guessing your FAL is also a DS Arms, Inc.? I slobbered over their OSW58 at Shot Show...walked around all gundrooly for hours!

I had another thought about selecting a hunting rifle. I suppose it is different if you're hunting for meat or hunting for trophy. An Alexander Arms Beowulf .50 might not be the best thing to shoot a deer with unless you're hunting for trophy ONLY. Hard to guess how much meat might be ruined with something like that.
    A man in the hands of his enemies is flesh, and shudderingly vulnerable. - author unknown

Distinguished Member Array Gunnutty's Avatar
    Don't overlook the Saiga 308. It is an AK variant and for the price a great buy.
    Hi cap mags are a little steep but more more are hitting the market every day. I enjoy shooting mine.
    We will be much better off when we learn to deal with things as they really are, instead of how we wish them to be!

Here's your choices:

M1a (M14) - great choice, solid rifle.
    FAL - great choice, go with a good brand, there are some of questionable quality around.
    H&K91/Cetme/G3 clone - PTR91 is the one to go with for this type. This was my choice, and I'm quite happy with it.
    AR10 - Yet another good choice, at the high end on cost.
    Saiga - The inexpensive one of the bunch, but overall a reliable rifle. Usually not up to the others in accuracy.

I've shot all of these, and wouldn't feel poorly equipped with any of them in my hands. It really comes down to personal preference, but those 5 are about the only options when it comes to a 7.62 nato semi-auto combat style rifle (am I missing one??). Find someone who has one of these, and shoot it!
    Liberty is an inherently offensive lifestyle. Living in a free society guarantees that each one of us will see our most cherished principles and beliefs questioned and in some cases mocked. It's worth it.

This big game season Im using a Saiga .308, w/h a Bushnell 3200 3-9x Ellite. It shoots under 2" grp wh Federal Hi-shock. For around $350, its an outstanding deal.

I hear in Dec more Hi-cap mags, will be avalible.

Good old Rem. 742, Ive had mine since the 80,s
    "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
    - Sir Winston Churchill

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links