Lever Gun question

Lever Gun question

This is a discussion on Lever Gun question within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I just picked up agot a NIB Winchester 94 Trapper .357 Magnum for a measley $300. hehehehehe It was an estate sale. I know it ...

Thread: Lever Gun question

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality

Lever Gun question

I just picked up agot a NIB Winchester 94 Trapper .357 Magnum for a measley $300. hehehehehe It was an estate sale.
    I know it will run .357, will it run .38 special. I'm wondering since .357 is slighty longer than .38 Spl. I'm just wondering since .357 headspaces off the rim and so does .38, but the length and the feeding issue is what I'm worried about
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

You've got yourself a rifle that is high on the list of fun! It also represents a thoughtful choice for self defense. I don't have one but several friends who have .357 chambered Winchesters shoot lots of .38 Special with no problems. As a field companion for an afternoon's shooting hike over large acreage your new rifle or a similar Marling Model 1894 couldn't be beat. Especially if you handload for it.

Assistant Administrator
    I reckon all you need be careful of is building up too much of a carbon ring from shooting a lot of 38 spl ... which could prejudice chambering of the 1/10" longer mag round.

Keep chamber clean after use and you are good to go Fun, fun, fun!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    Yes, oh but yes, it will run .38 Special, all day long. Keep it clean and you won't be able to do anything except have fun with it shooting .38's.

I had one of those once and let it get away. I have regretted it ever since.

I supposed I just gave you the wrong answer. What I should have said was "Heck no, it'll never shoot .38's. Since that is what you want to do with it, I'll take it off your hands and I won't even make you pay me to take it....."
    "...bad decisions that turn out well often make heroes."

Gary D. Mitchell, A Sniper's Journey: The Truth About the Man and the Rifle, P. 103, NAL Caliber books, 2006, 1st Ed.

I'm probably nit-picking but P95 makes a good point. I don't shoot .38 Special ammunition in my .357 Magnum guns out of long habit. It's too easy to obtain .357 ammunition and cases. I just began preparing a large batch of .357 cases for handloading with a mild charge of Unique this past weekend. Such a load would be my choice if I had the rifle. Super cheap to assemble, accurate, and pleasant to fire.

Senior Moderator
    Sounds like a great gun, I want a .357 levergun (I want a lot of guns but this is on the short list).
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    Sounds like a great gun, I want a .357 levergun (I want a lot of guns but this is on the short list).
    Darryl, I've seen your short list and it's NOT! I would like to find a .357 or .44 levergun for a good price as well.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    (I want a lot of guns but this is on the short list).

I find myself saying this all too often.
    Lex et Libertas — Semper Vigilo, Fortis, Paratus, et Fidelis!

"Not only do the people who put their lives on the line to protect the rest of us deserve better, we all deserve better than to have our own security undermined by those who undermine law enforcement." -Thomas Sowell

You can get a Marlin in .357 mag or .44Mag for around $300 if you look (I got my .44Mag for $334 at Big 5). But a Winchester NIB will cost a bit more now from a store since Winchester has stopped making them, at least for now.
    My Winchester .44Mag is still in the box and never been fired, it will stay that way unless they start making more,That is why I bought a Marlin to shoot.

I have the same gun, I bought it about 10 years ago for $185 @ Big 5 sporting goods. Yes shoots .38's no problem you can even load one extra (10 total) and that worked for SASS competition.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    I went and shot it a few times using some .357 reloads. I noticed that it had some feeding issues on the first cartridge but it seemed to kind of smooth out as I shot it more and more. I was thinking well a .357 is a straight wall cartridge unlike a 30-30 which is tapered all the way down. Is this pretty normal. When I say feeding issues I mean I would cycle the lever and the first cartridge would hang up and I would back of the lever and then it would cycle right in.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by dr_cmg View Post
    Darryl, I've seen your short list and it's NOT! I would like to find a .357 or .44 levergun for a good price as well.
    It's only at 30 or so guns now George, of course it has a tendency to grow.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

It's a fun gun. Good find.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Senior Member Array blueyedevil's Avatar
    Just as a safety note, make sure you're not shooting round-nose 38's or 357's in that tubular magazine.

Links