M4. .308 or .223???

This is a discussion on M4. .308 or .223??? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I am looking at getting a DPMS A4 in either a .308 or a .223. I really like the look of the guns and don't ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: M4. .308 or .223???

M4. .308 or .223???

I am looking at getting a DPMS A4 in either a .308 or a .223. I really like the look of the guns and don't really know which caliper I should go with.

Any suggestions?

2. Remove Ads

I would go with .223, .308 is expensive to go shooting with. You can get twice as much ammo with a .223.
    ‘‘To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them.’’

— George Mason

For shooting economy and fun go with the .223.

I do take the .308 more seriously than I do the .223 though.

The M4 isn't a target rifle, so I assume it's going to be a self defense weapon. It's awful hard to hide from a .30 cal. round. Given the correct (AP) ammo, it's almost impossible. It'll shoot through trees. The cost per round isn't that much more.
    NRA Benefactor member
    Michigan Antique Arms Collectors life member
    Ohio Gun Collectors member

Opinions expressed here are based upon Michigan state law ONLY. Other state laws may differ. Know and observe your local laws.

I am not sure where you are buying rounds at but .308 is about twice the price of .223. Plus if you are using this gun for defense in a residential area, I am not sure you want to use a bullet that will penetrate your house, your neighbors house and maybe his neighbors house as well.

Quote Originally Posted by ttpete View Post
    The M4 isn't a target rifle, so I assume it's going to be a self defense weapon. It's awful hard to hide from a .30 cal. round. Given the correct (AP) ammo, it's almost impossible. It'll shoot through trees. The cost per round isn't that much more.
    ‘‘To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them.’’

— George Mason

The cost per round is significantly more. If you are on a Combat team or are anticipating using this gun for combat more frequently than range shooting then I would get the .308. But if you plan on shooting this thing once a month or more at the range of your choice you will be better off with the 223.

Also, some pistol ranges allow you to shoot the 223 in their range with a frangible bullet. Not so with the 308.
    Lex et Libertas — Semper Vigilo, Fortis, Paratus, et Fidelis!

"Not only do the people who put their lives on the line to protect the rest of us deserve better, we all deserve better than to have our own security undermined by those who undermine law enforcement." -Thomas Sowell

Quote Originally Posted by rathos View Post
    I am not sure where you are buying rounds at but .308 is about twice the price of .223. Plus if you are using this gun for defense in a residential area, I am not sure you want to use a bullet that will penetrate your house, your neighbors house and maybe his neighbors house as well.
    I don't buy loaded ammo, I reload. Cost difference is much less, especially using clean pulled military bullets. And the idea is to be able to penetrate cars and trucks. A shotgun works better for a house gun. I have two Remingtons, an 870, and a 760 in 30-06. They operate exactly the same, which is handy if one is half awake. Which one I would grab would depend on circumstances at the time.
    NRA Benefactor member
    Michigan Antique Arms Collectors life member
    Ohio Gun Collectors member

Opinions expressed here are based upon Michigan state law ONLY. Other state laws may differ. Know and observe your local laws.

Senior Moderator
    I prefer the .308 and I prefer the FAL

When I want a rifle I want it to penetrate hard cover, If I'm worried about overpenetration then I'll choose a shotgun or pistol caliber carbine (I picked the M1 carbine).
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Quote Originally Posted by DopdBrd View Post
    I am looking at getting a DPMS A4 in either a .308 or a .223. I really like the look of the guns and don't really know which caliper I should go with.

Any suggestions?
    Having purchased my second DPMS rifle about two months ago and decided to go with the .308 this time, I'd like to chime in and say GO FOR THE .308!!

Lately, you can get ammo from the ammoman for slightly more as the .223 these days (ALL the stuff is going you know where, so it is all pricey). I got 1000 rounds of Federal for about $420.

I love the .223, but I shoot it much less now that I have the .308. Very comfortable and there is just something about the 'whoomph' of that larger cartridge that I love!

I think that the DSA FAL is pretty awesome...check out their OSW 58!!!
    A man in the hands of his enemies is flesh, and shudderingly vulnerable. - author unknown

I am basing my buying decision on this.....

Pros - Ammo a little cheaper but not much (I also reload, even the cheap wolf crap that I don't reload is only a little more) GREAT target/fun rifle, friend has one and it is a blast to shoot. Mags are about 1/4 the cost of the .308
    Cons - Not as powerful as the .308, cannot hunt deer with it, does not have the penetrating power of a .308

Pros- Stopping power, If I wanted to hunt deer I could,
    Cons - Price, Mag price, Mag capacity.

I have a .30-06 I hunt deer with and actually haven't been hunting deer in a few years. I am leaning more and more to the .223 just because it would be more of a target rifle and for the price of the .308 I could get the .223 with a lot of options on it.

More input guys....

I have both and both are fun to shoot. The platforms are the same other than size.

The .223 is easier to manuver and a bit cheaper to shoot. Mags are cheaper but not too much.

The .308 will fit your needs if you are considering it as a deer rifle. I gave $28 each for DPMS 20 rd mags. I don't worry about mag capacity. I can reload pretty quickly.

I gave $819 for my DPMS 308 slightly used. It has a Rock River 2 stage trigger and two mags. I am happy with mine.

Dave

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    The .223 shines in the m4gerys , and the .308 sacrifices quite a bit when you lopp off a barrel to 14 or 16 " . Where i hung on .30 cal and wanted a true carbine i would likely go with 7.62x39 over .308 . in .308 I see no use of anything under 18" with 20 being a favorite , and actually for full velocity 22 is optimal but a bit long with a flash suppressor . I also like and have a fal and would not trade it for the stoner patent myself .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Quote Originally Posted by Airedale View Post
    I have both and both are fun to shoot. The platforms are the same other than size.

The .223 is easier to manuver and a bit cheaper to shoot. Mags are cheaper but not too much.

The .308 will fit your needs if you are considering it as a deer rifle. I gave $28 each for DPMS 20 rd mags. I don't worry about mag capacity. I can reload pretty quickly.

I gave $819 for my DPMS 308 slightly used. It has a Rock River 2 stage trigger and two mags. I am happy with mine.

Dave

Man I wish I could find a DPMS used for around that price. I would buy it right now!!

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    hmm somehow i triple tapped , mod please clean up my mess lol
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Quote Originally Posted by DopdBrd View Post
    I am basing my buying decision on this.....

Pros - Ammo a little cheaper but not much (I also reload, even the cheap wolf crap that I don't reload is only a little more) GREAT target/fun rifle, friend has one and it is a blast to shoot. Mags are about 1/4 the cost of the .308
    Cons - Not as powerful as the .308, cannot hunt deer with it, does not have the penetrating power of a .308

Pros- Stopping power, If I wanted to hunt deer I could,
    Cons - Price, Mag price, Mag capacity.

I have a .30-06 I hunt deer with and actually haven't been hunting deer in a few years. I am leaning more and more to the .223 just because it would be more of a target rifle and for the price of the .308 I could get the .223 with a lot of options on it.

More input guys....
    Sounds like you've made up your mind. I didn't mean to steer you away from the .223! Target / varmit is what I love mine for! Just wondering if you've looked at 6.8 or Grendel 6.5?
    A man in the hands of his enemies is flesh, and shudderingly vulnerable. - author unknown

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links