Beretta CX4 Storm

This is a discussion on Beretta CX4 Storm within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I've been looking at these for awhile now...but haven't come across anyone who actually owns one or has shot one. Its a very comfortable rifle ...

Thread: Beretta CX4 Storm

Beretta CX4 Storm

I've been looking at these for awhile now...but haven't come across anyone who actually owns one or has shot one.

Its a very comfortable rifle to hold, probably the most comfortable weapon I have ever had in my hands....I just haven't had a chance to shoot it.

How are they on the range? Are they reliable and comfortable to shoot? I'm thinking about the 9mm model since 9mm rounds are cheaper then .40 or .45.

Thoughts, opinions, reviews please.

Thanks
    "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Smith & Wesson M&P9c

2. Remove Ads

I put about 200 rds through a 9mm one yesterday...personally, I didn't like it very much. I think this is because I'm comparing it to an M16 (the rifle with which I have the most experience), and the trigger pull on the CX4 is so danged HEAVY! Reliable yes, comfortable yes. I just need to find a way to get the trigger lightened. If you're in Central Ohio, I'm happy to take you shooting and give you some trigger time with it.

Great gun, except for the trigger. I've put about 1500 rounds through mine without a single hiccup.
    Very light, easy to pack around. Great for critters.

VIP Member
    Here are a couple of threads about the CX4.

My CX4

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ad.php?t=34324
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Go to the Beretta Forum, then to the Long Gun section. There's a guy who does trigger jobs on the Storm AND details on how to do your own if you're inclined. I've done considerable reading about the CX4 Storm and the trigger seems to be the only issue. Folks who buy/shoot them sure do like 'em! Most agree that the 9mm is cheaper to shoot & has more magazine capacity. Apparently ammo costs become an issue because you burn-through a LOT of it with a CX4 Storm.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    I talked my roomate into buying one not too long ago, and he loves it. The trigger is kinda long and kinda heavy, but not overly so, and it's not hard to get used to.

The gun is light, but not as light as you'd expect, and well-balanced. It's easy to shoulder and easy to move with. The rear sight holes are super-tiny, but they work well enough, and the gun is dead-on accurate all the way out to 100yds.

If you do find one, try to get the ones that take 92 series mags. the PX4 mags are pricey.
    "A well-educated electorate, being necessary to the continuance of a free state, the right of the people to keep and read books shall not be infringed."
    Is this hard to understand? Then why does it get unintelligible to some people when 5 little words are changed?

Assistant Administrator
    I bought one used a few years ago and like it a lot ... tho as has been mentioned the trigger is crummy! You can tho adapt to that.

Despite the gun's rather space-age look it is when held IMO an ergonomic delight. Easy to shoot and mine with red dot is excellent to 50 yards. Certainly way to easy a platform to burn up, in my case - loads of 9mm!!

Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I have had one for several months,92 type 9mm, because the mags are interchangeable with my 92FS ( but NOT my px4, which I got later on) . My CX4, has been in a word, outstanding. Have put over 1000 rds w/o a single hiccup, no ftf ,no fte, no stove pipes, no jams of any kind, nothing..nada..zip..zilch! Perhaps I just got a really well made gun or just lucky but it has been one awesome weapon. I rented one prior to buying mine and shot about 250 rds thru the rental w/o any problems also..No issues with the trigger I think its fine. I highly recommend it..Accurate at 100 yds, reliable, cheap ammo and readily available, "cool" looking, great for HD too!

Senior Moderator
    DrSal,

I was in the same boat in that I had a 92 CX4 and a 92FS. Then I got a PX4, and learned I could convert my 92 CX4 to PX4 mags with a mag well insert and mag release.

They are pretty easy to switch back and forth so what ever handgun you're carrying, 92 or PX4, you can adapt the CX4 to it so you can share mags.

I have had some problems with the PX4 mag set-up. I had a couple double feeds a couple of times. Haven't resolved the problem yet, but haven't been pursuing it a whole lot yet just due to priorities.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

I've got the CX4, 9mm, 92 mags and it is, IMHO, the best pistol caliber carbine on the market. The trigger does take some getting used to but it's by no means the worst trigger I've ever pulled. It's an absolute pleasure to shoot so take lots of ammo.
    Welcome to Tennessee, the patron state of shootin' stuff.--SHOOTER

Distinguished Member Array USPnTX's Avatar
    I couldn't resist and bought one about a month ago. 600 rounds and counting and not a single issue. I definitely agree about the trigger though - I've got to do something about that. However, its very accurate, a blast to shoot and is very well balanced. I bought mine in .40 so it would match my EDC and yes it gets pretty pricey because you will go through the ammo!! I would also suggest that you make sure you get the top rail. I think low powered optics of some kind are perfect for this carbine. I added an Eotech to mine.
    "Do not fear those who disagree with you; fear those that do and are too cowardly to admit it" - Napoleon

Senior Moderator
    Boy I hate to say this out loud, but, my 9mm Storm beats up my shoulder. I know, how much recoil can a 9mm have, but to me, it's more than my AR carbine.

Course, I shot about 500 rounds through it in one morning (training class) and I had some raw skin and discoloration on my shoulder; not brusing, but still irritated. I think some of it was because of the wide rubber butt pad, but I think recoil played a significant role to.

I'm not especially recoil sensitive, I ran about 500 rounds through an 18" barreled 870 12 ga. and didn't have any problems. Well, actually, about the same.

I love the CX4 though. I think it has more potential for use in SD scenarios than it is given credit for. I bought some really nice 20 round mags that almost flush fit the grip. Really nice!

A pic with the Mecgar 20 round mag in the CX4 and the older style 20 round mag in the 92:

I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

dr_cmg included two links to informative posts. One of them is mine, on how to set the thing up. Well, tbh I may end up with something else in the end. Was informed about two days ago that the price tag now jumped another hundred bucks to $800. If price is not an issue to you, alternatives might be. Any idea on what you can do with $800?? How about getting a pretty nice AR setup.. Seriously, does Beretta think they can put themselves in the same price line as ARs?? Where do they get off..

Anyways, check out the Kel-Tec 2000 sub rifle. It's also 9mm, has STOCK OPTIONS!!, and is pretty sweet from what I've heard. Granted their pistols are horrid, the rifle is supposed to be a nice piece of work.

Edit: Btw, I forgot to mention, that Kel-Tec runs you about $250-300 bucks, about 500 dollars cheaper than the storm.

Love mine, it became my new "truck gun" replacing my Colt 6520 in the trunk of my car. (for when a shooting range pops up, not for protection)

I went with the .45acp, same as all my hand guns. Stone the trigger and your good to go.

Shooterer
    Stand up for what's right..... Even if you stand alone.

Tangle,
    Thank you for the info!

Links