S&W MP-15 questions

This is a discussion on S&W MP-15 questions within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Is anybody here using the MP-15 platform? If so, do you have a lower that was manufactured by Stag Arms or was it made by ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: S&W MP-15 questions

Senior Member Array Knuckledrager's Avatar

S&W MP-15 questions

Is anybody here using the MP-15 platform? If so, do you have a lower that was manufactured by Stag Arms or was it made by in house by S&W. Additionally, have you tried to seat the new Magpull P mags?

One of the newbies at work purchased a MP-15T. He went to qualify yesterday and we learned that his weapon will no way/no how seat a p mag. The MP-15 will, however, seat all brands of mil spec metal bodied mags. The same p mags seat in all of our M4a1 carbines without issue. Upon visual inspection, the p mags have a series of ridges on the front of the mag. These appear to make contact with the front of the magazine well on the carbine and prevent the magazine from seating deep enough to engage the magazine catch. This suggests to me that the lower receiver of the MP-15 that we are dealing with is not cut correctly or is not mil-spec. Stag arms is supposed to be making a mil spec lower. Maybe they are not or maybe S&W is not. Don't yet know who made this lower. I'm looking for any similar experiences before I call the good folks at S&W. Thanks in advance!

2. Remove Ads

I have an MP15 (not 15T) and just got 10 magpul -p mags, actually just back from the range this afternoon and put about 200 rds w/o any problems. I believe I have an SW lower..they work fine on my mp15...

I'm not a fan P-Mags and I'm not really a fan of any AR type platform that is relatively new to the market place. If S&W had something incredible to offer over and above LMT, Colt, Rock River, Bushmaster, LWRC, Stag et al then I'd consider purchasing one, but at this point you've possibly explained another reason to let someone else test drive the S&W. However, the problem is with the mag not the lower reciever.

P-Mags when fully loaded, which they shouldn't be loaded anymore than 28 rounds, have a tendency to actually stretch/expand with the loaded rounds when loaded to a full 30 round capacity. I have one P-Mag and it does not seat in the mag well when loaded. Unloaded it seats just fine. Not much good to me unloaded.

Ditch the P-Mags and stick with USGI mags with green followers. Replace the baseplates with the Mag Pul Ranger plates and drive on.
    Perhaps your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others.

Quote Originally Posted by Skygod View Post
    I'm not a fan P-Mags and I'm not really a fan of any AR type platform that is relatively new to the market place. If S&W had something incredible to offer over and above LMT, Colt, Rock River, Bushmaster, LWRC, Stag et al then I'd consider purchasing one, but at this point you've possibly explained another reason to let someone else test drive the S&W. However, the problem is with the mag not the lower reciever.

P-Mags when fully loaded, which they shouldn't be loaded anymore than 28 rounds, have a tendency to actually stretch/expand with the loaded rounds when loaded to a full 30 round capacity. I have one P-Mag and it does not seat in the mag well when loaded. Unloaded it seats just fine. Not much good to me unloaded.

Ditch the P-Mags and stick with USGI mags with green followers. Replace the baseplates with the Mag Pul Ranger plates and drive on.
    you left out CMMG..

Skygod,

I'm pretty much a Colt, LMT, Noveske guy and I only use metal mil psec mags. However, the newbies like all of the new stuff. I think it is a price/availability issue. The p mags in question were only loaded with 20 rnds so I don't think that the stretch factor was an issue. Thanks for the reply!

Quote Originally Posted by Knuckledrager View Post
    Skygod,

I'm pretty much a Colt, LMT, Noveske guy and I only use metal mil psec mags. However, the newbies like all of the new stuff. I think it is a price/availability issue. The p mags in question were only loaded with 20 rnds so I don't think that the stretch factor was an issue. Thanks for the reply!
    Same here with LMT and Colt. Although I inherited an Les Baer "Thunder Ranch" from a dear close friend that passed about a year and a half ago. I did the ususual modifications. Mil Spec extension with plate and castle nut, carbine buffer and spring. Vltor EMOD stock. Swapped out the grip for the Mag Pul MIAD. Had muzzle threaded to accept a 4 port Vortex hider. Now it's possibly the best AR15 in my safe.

If the P-Mag where only loaded with 20 rounds then I can't help ya with the problem. I can only relate my own experience with the one P-Mag that I own. That was explained in the above post. I have severl polymer type mags for H&K pistols that actually expand at the top of the mag if loaded to full capacity and will not release from the pistol when the slide is locked back. You can feel the top of the mag running snug with the inside of the mag well unlike the mags that come with the H&K USP from the factory. The mags that rub the mag well are also from the factory but are high capacity mags that require the addition of the Jet Funnel Kit. Same kind of polymer as the P-Mag and similar experience with the AR and the pistol.

www.bravocompanyusa.com has ten USGI mags with the green followers for $99. Add in the Mag Pul Ranger base plates and your good to go.

Just got some new M&P AR's in and the PMAG's that I have in stock fit just fine and drop free.

For those that believe that PMAG's are junk or a poor choice, you are mistaken. PMAG's represent the next generation of mag design and we will most likely find Polymer mags being used by the Military in the near future.

C4
    G&R Tactical, LLC
    www.GRTactical.com

Grant,

Has anyone had the p mags afield for any period of time? I'm not against using them I would just like to have some data on them before I make a bulk purchase. The metal mags have a proven history with my job and with a little care they have been trouble free. If you have any resources for info on them I would love to hear it. Thanks in advance!

Jason
    "The liberty of the individual is no gift of civilization. It was greatest before there was any civilization." Sigmund Freud

Quote Originally Posted by Knuckledrager View Post
    Grant,

Has anyone had the p mags afield for any period of time? I'm not against using them I would just like to have some data on them before I make a bulk purchase. The metal mags have a proven history with my job and with a little care they have been trouble free. If you have any resources for info on them I would love to hear it. Thanks in advance!

Jason

Jason,

Yes, I have been running PMAG's since day one and have put them through several carbine schools. I also have several contract shooters buddies operating in IZ that have been very pleased with the PMAG.

Alum mags have a history of being one of the cheapest mags ever created and is the weakest link in the entire AR platform. So I do not consider them good at all and am very pleased that Magpul has come out with the PMAG.

C4
    G&R Tactical, LLC
    www.GRTactical.com

Colt and Bushmaster mags are my choice.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

I'd go onse step better and purchase H&K AR mags. But, there expensive as like anything with an H&K stamp.

I just loaded my P-Mag with 30 rounds of M885 and it does not seat in the mag well without having to palm it fairly aggressivly. At the moment it's been slammed into an LMT Defender lower.

Maybe I've just got one P-Mag that is not worth it's money.

"Wave of the future" Maybe, but I'm not running into many shooters that are ditching their USGI mags for a total replacement with Mag Puls P-Mags.

I remember hearing that carbon fiber recievers where the "wave of the future" also. I don't know anybody that owns one, yet.

I've got 15 P-Mags that I bought after the 1st re-call, and I've never had a problem with them. 5 of mine have been loaded now since I bought them with a full 30 rounds.

I've used them in a couple classes and a few matches.

From what I've read and my experience with them so far they were designed slightly longer to accommodate 30 rounds and still seat easily in a rifle.

I guess I'm one of those guys that's slowly replacing my aluminum mags with P-Mags.

Chuck
    homo homini lupus est

Quote Originally Posted by Supertac45 View Post
    Colt and Bushmaster mags are my choice.
    You do know that neither of these companies make their own mags right???

C4
    G&R Tactical, LLC
    www.GRTactical.com

Quote Originally Posted by Skygod View Post
    I'd go onse step better and purchase H&K AR mags. But, there expensive as like anything with an H&K stamp.

I just loaded my P-Mag with 30 rounds of M885 and it does not seat in the mag well without having to palm it fairly aggressivly. At the moment it's been slammed into an LMT Defender lower.

Maybe I've just got one P-Mag that is not worth it's money.

"Wave of the future" Maybe, but I'm not running into many shooters that are ditching their USGI mags for a total replacement with Mag Puls P-Mags.

I remember hearing that carbon fiber recievers where the "wave of the future" also. I don't know anybody that owns one, yet.
    The HK mags might be the biggest waste of money there is. Troops in the field have reported TONS of issues with these mags. The main problem with them is that the spring is under powered and doesn't push the rounds up fast enough. This creates bolt over ride.

The issue with your setup could be the PMAG or it could be the position of your mag catch. You need a wider sampling of PMAG's and a different lower.

Just the opposite is happening with me. The majority of the mags found at carbine schools are PMAG's. I almost never sell standard USGI mags. Everyone is buying PMAG's.

I know of know serious shooter or professional firearms instructor (Vickers, Rogers, Hackathorn, etc) ever say that Carbon Fiber Receivers are the wave of the future.

C4
    G&R Tactical, LLC
    www.GRTactical.com

I too have heard all of the negative about the HK mags. A friend had some pre-release demo mags from them (in '03?) They seemed like a good thing and worked fine on the flat range. One team in my area swears by them. I guess its a matter of the tighter tolerances and weak springs getting bunged up by day to day field crud.
    "The liberty of the individual is no gift of civilization. It was greatest before there was any civilization." Sigmund Freud

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links