Combat Optics on a BattleRifle?

This is a discussion on Combat Optics on a BattleRifle? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I've been looking for a few years now, and have yet to be able to determine what was worthwhile for me to put on my ...

I've been looking for a few years now, and have yet to be able to determine what was worthwhile for me to put on my FAL. I've had a 3-12x40 for years and it's served me well, but the optics are not as bright as I want them to be and I'm not as fast with target acquisition as I would like. Probable looking for fixed power optics from 2-4x but I still can't justify the cost of paying for an ACOG. ACOGs are nice, but seem to be better on AR15/AR10 variants than FALs and M1As.

Anything new come out in the last few years that I don't know about?

Senior Member Array Knuckledrager's Avatar
    Do you want something for the long shot or will you be using this as more of a close in weapon. Given that we're talking about an FAL, I'm thinking that you are looking for the long shot. Check out the Leupold and Nightforce offerings. I'm sure that there is a mount to make them work with the FAL. The down side is that cost about what the ACOG does.
    "The liberty of the individual is no gift of civilization. It was greatest before there was any civilization." Sigmund Freud

Any decent combat optic is going to take some dollars from your wallet that you don't expect. ACOG/Triji are going to cost you $1300+ The S&B Short Dot costs roughly the same, but it's one hell of an combat optic for any battle rifle. The Elcan SPECTER is another optic that is getting more attention, however I have not eye balled through it to give you a reasonable thumbs up or down.

M3A's are about the same cost. I've fired behind the glass with all the above mentioned optics and came to the conclusion that an Aimpoint CompM3 2MOA with the Aimpoint 3x magnifier met my needs more than the above mentioned opics. Reason: I want a 1x red dot for increased target acquisition speed at close ranges and I want some magnification for open field shots 100 meters out.

Pitfall #1: With both the red dot and the magnifier running simultaneusly it's difficult to take shots under 100 meters, especially 25 meters looking through a magnified optic solution. I use LaRue Tactical mounts for both pieces and there is no such thing as a "Quick Detach" with LaRue's mounts. Their rock solid on your rail if you adjust according to Mark LaRue own words. "It should be hard to put on and even harder to get off. Those reasons should be obvious for repeat zero when the optic is taken off and back on the rail.

Solution to pitfall #1: After much nagging and nudging Mark LaRue developed the "Pivot Mount" for this very reason. With the LaRue Pivot mount you simply reach up and grap the magnifier and pull rearward and it pivots out of the way of the Aimpoint red dot optic. It literally pivots down to the right side of the rifle resting just shy of the shell deflector. PERFECT !!!!!

This combo of mounts and optics cost well over $1,400 once I purchased the Pivot mount as a replacement for the magnifier mount.

It's a great solution and gives the shooter both advantages of longer open field shots and quickly getting into shape for close in shots. Personally I like this solution, but any good solution to your battle rifle optic conundrum is going to cost you a pretty penny. If you want any thing of decent quality.

Just my .02
    Perhaps your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others.

I have a standard STG58 and looking for a 100-600yd/meter optic.

VIP Member
    The Leupold CQ/T 0-3x is something to consider. Still pricey, but not quite $1300. I've seen a couple of them in use in theatre, and they were good optics. The ACOGs are still top pics for fixed magnification, IMO, but if Uncle Sugar wasn't giving them to me I'd be hard pressed to drop the $$ for them. I've not used the Aimpoint w/ 3x mag add-on, but I've heard very good things about them. Elcan also makes some VERY good (and VERY expensive) optics...

For a 600 yard shot, however, you probably want a little more than 3x. For under 200 bucks, you can get a Leupold 2-7x that might suit your needs quite well. I put these on all of my spotters rifles (M14s) because I had to buy them myself, and needed a good quality optic that could keep pace with the 10x glass on the M24s and M107s without breaking the (my) bank. With good mounts, these will stand you in good stead for almost any close-to-medium range applications, and they proved to be durable enough to handle a year of tromping up and down some seriously rocky mountains in Afghanistan... So they'd probably be OK on your HD/truck gun!
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

EO TECH HD/Truck

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DOGOFWAR01 View Post
    EO TECH HD/Truck
    I have EO Techs on my sub guns and often on my M4. It's a phenomenal optic. I wouldn't want to take a 600m shot with one, though...
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

I put my EOTECH on my FAL a few years ago and found it to limit my ability to accurately shoot past 100yds, especially in low light. I had to reduce power on the optic because the red blur made it hard to see anything smaller than 8 MOA past 100yds.

VIP Member
    I'm with you, Jaime. I love the EOTech, and have qual'ed with it out to 300m many times. I actually can hit better, faster at 300m with the EOTech then I can with the iron sights of an M4 (though we're talking 90% hits with irons, 95% hits with the EOTech)...but beyond that I think the dot will simply obscure too much of the target. Not to mention that magnifying optics are great for target observation/identification at those ranges, which is more important (in many cases) then actually hitting the target.

Are you any closer in your search?

Senior Moderator
    I only have a compact Leapers 3x scope on my FAL
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

I only have a compact Leapers 3x scope on my FAL

I just looked it up on yahoo and found some for about $20-40

Austin

On my Springfield M1A Scout Squad I have mounted the Aimpoint 7000 2X Red Dot Scope.
    My Ruger Mini-14 Ranch Rifle and Bushmaster M4 Carbine each have the Aimpoint 5000 2X Red Dot Scope.
    The dots are sized at 2MOA at 100yd. The two power allows both eyes open super fast acquisition of target and the 2x magnification really helps. At my 59 years iron sights don't work for me anymore. I can quickly hit anything of important size at up to 300 yards with any of these three rifles. Up to 500 yards with a little more time.
    "There is no such thing as too much ammo. Unless you're swimming!"

Links