Christmas surprise from the wife.

This is a discussion on Christmas surprise from the wife. within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; My wife and I were asking each other about Christmas gifts the other night. She asked what I wanted so I half-heartedly said an AR ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

My wife and I were asking each other about Christmas gifts the other night. She asked what I wanted so I half-heartedly said an AR receiver so I could do a custom build - expecting to get "the look" ... she said yes!!! :where'sthatfaintingsmiley?: Since I get a discount with my C&R she's going to give me a prepaid MC/Visa and I can pick what I want!

Since I've got the S&W MP-15 on layaway I figure I've got the carbine covered, so I'm leaning toward a free float 20" HBAR with optics for my build. Seriously thinking about a DMPS lower but Sabre Defence is a local company and I'm all for supporting local business ... tough decision! Also thinking Troy BUIS, maybe even a Kreiger barrel. This'll take a long time to gather all the parts I want but I think it'll be loads of fun. As much as I'd like a .308 the prices aren't in my budget so I'm trying to decide between 5.56 and 6.8. How are 6.8 ammo prices and availability/variety these days?
    Thanks all,
    Jack

Cool! I'll ask before someone else does - "Does she have a sister?"

Heh heh, two of 'em. One's married, the other one's flakey!
    Jack

JT
    Quote Originally Posted by maclean3 View Post
    As much as I'd like a .308 the prices aren't in my budget so I'm trying to decide between 5.56 and 6.8. How are 6.8 ammo prices and availability/variety these days?
    6.8 will cost you more than .308 as far as ammo goes. I haven't seen 6.8 for less than $15 for 20 rounds. There may be some deals out there I'm not aware of since I haven't been in the market for it, but as a general rule $15+ is the norm.
    Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Oh, I wasn't talking so much about ammo cost as I was the rifle prices (sorry about that). In .308, ideally I'd like an M1A from Springfield or Fulton but an AR-10 is another option. Either way it's big bucks for the rifle and/or mags.

After doing a bit more reading on alternate AR calibers, it looks like 6.5 Grendel might be closer to what I'd like in a medium/long range target rifle than the 6.8 SPC. Ammo cost seems similar between the two (at Midway) and either could be had with a just an additional upper on my existing lower ... if I decide to go that route.

From what I understand, 6.8 SPC approximates 270 ballistics and 6.5 Grendel gets close to .308 performance - with less recoil. Does that sound about right?
    Ohhhhhh, decisions.
    Jack

Wink

I like flakey!

Quote Originally Posted by jframe38 View Post
    I like flakey!
    NRA, USPSA SS & Lim-10
    Blessed are they who, faced with danger, think only of the front sight. J. Cooper

you are one lucky guy! :)
    I am sworn to protect the Constitution of the U.S.A. from all threats both foreign and domestic.

me 2

my wife as well is got me a AR 15 S&W m&p t hidden i told her i want it NOW

You are a lucky guy...get 'thee' to the lottery store...

Stay armed...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Very nice.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

I'm trying to decide if I want to build a 5.56, 6.8 SPC or 6.5 Grendel. With the S&W it seems a 5.56 would be a bit redundant at this point. 6.8 would stretch the maximum range a bit but the 6.5 apparently performs like .308 with 40% to 60% of the recoil ... that's really tempting.

BTW, the flakey SIL finally showed up for dinner yesterday about 2 hours late ... that happens EVERY holiday ! Finally got to eat around 1:30, then had to be at my Mom's to eat again at 4:00 ... I'm STILL full!
    Jack

Oh yeh, one of the members on ARF.Com has a gun shop just South of us (Franklin Gun Shop). He'll be getting some business from me shorty.
    Jack

Quote Originally Posted by unleashed View Post
    my wife as well is got me a AR 15 S&W m&p t hidden i told her i want it NOW
    My M&P is on layaway (my wife doesn't know about that one!), it'll be a long time before I get it paid off at $100/month. I'll be building as much of this AR as possible, probably starting with a DPMS lower but maybe a Sabre Defence if price and availability are good. Sabre is located here in Nashville so I'd prefer to support them if possible.

After the brand and caliber choices, I still need to figure out a color/finish: Basic black goes with any attire but something in rare earth, desert sand or realtree camo might be a nice change of pace.
    Jack

This sounds so cool.But what are you gonna get the wife thats just as cool?I am kinda in the same spot.

She and her sisters like to do the girls night out thing every so often so this year I'm giving her a credit at the Hilton. They get to get away from the guys and do all that "girlie stuff." I figure an overnight suite, room service and maybe a package from the local Spa if I can swing it.
    Jack

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links