Federal shotgunshells longer than remington?

This is a discussion on Federal shotgunshells longer than remington? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I picked up some Federal "tactical" buckshot 2 3/4" mags. To my surprise I could not fit them all in my winchester defender - which ...

Thread: Federal shotgunshells longer than remington?

Federal shotgunshells longer than remington?

I picked up some Federal "tactical" buckshot 2 3/4" mags. To my surprise I could not fit them all in my winchester defender - which easily takes 7 Remington 2 3/4" buckshot shells. Upon examination the federal shells do look longer. What gives? This is my only shotgun so I'm pretty clueless. Thanks!

2. Remove Ads

Is the shell longer or just the brass? If it is 2 3/4", it should work. Have you measured the shell itself?
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Lead Moderator
    Never noticed a difference. Got a set of calipers?
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Did you try slamming it really hard?

Just kidding. Sounds odd...never heard of such a thing. Maybe it was a bad run? Let us know when you find out.

Austin

Assistant Administrator
    Use calipers to check length but I'll be surprised if there is a significant difference. If tho a round is over long and so out of spec ... contact manufacturer and complain .... tolerances should be quite strict.

However, just a chance the case base metal is a shade less sized on the tight rounds - like a reload that has not been properly sized and came out of another gun chamber - too fat at the base.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    http://hunting.about.com/od/shotgun/...hotgunfaqb.htm

"The linear dimension used to identify a particular shotshell refers to the length of its fired case and not that of the loaded round.

Actual length will vary slightly among various brands of shells, but those designated as 2 3/4 inches usually measure around 2 5/16 inches before firing and 2 5/8 to 2 11/16 inches after firing.

Three-inch shells usually measure from 2 1/2 to 2 5/8 inches before firing and lengthen to just under three inches when fired. "

-------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

Senior Member Array Shadowsbane's Avatar
    Not sure if this helps but

I know that a bunch of Remmington 9mm rounds that I have are shorter than the winchester brand. Not enough to affect reliability just enough to mess with my mind... I wouldnt be surprised if their shotgun shells were a bit off too.
    Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men.

www.Lonelymountainleather.com

Think of it as "different" instead of "off" and you'll feel better. There is a range of acceptable overall lengths - as long as they are reliable in your gun its nothing to worry about. There's a lot of science that goes into it all - bullet weight, powder burn rate, powder volume, case volume, chamber pressure, barrel length - lots more too but it all effects the final result. Since everyone develops their stuff separately they all get different solutions that work.

Austin

Links