Defensive Carry banner

Say Goodbye to Parts Kits

3K views 21 replies 8 participants last post by  rfurtkamp 
#1 ·
http://www.atf.gov/firearms/071305openletter.htm

No more parts kits to be imported. This means the complete kits minus receivers that many use to build AKs and FALs. They are nixing the barrel part of it. This will affect do it yourselfers and companies selling complete rifles that they have assembled from parts kits with US made receivers. It won’t affect rifles like VEPRS that are imported as complete rifles and then modified. But who knows if those will be next.

#2 ·
Another useless new gun law.

I understand there are provisions in the law to destroy C&R licenses too as well as stop the importation of handguns like the CZ-52 and the Makarov. Is there any truth to that rumor?

You gotta love how this supposedly pro gun adminstration hasn't passed the Citizen's self defense act, there's been no meaningful strides towards national CCW reciprocity, none of the bans have been repealed, and then they do crap like this.

It burns me up to think how easily we could set things right with just a few strokes of the President's pen, and yet it doesn't happen. It would not cost us a dime to solve most of our gun problems in this country. Just repeal the laws, which costs absolutely nothing. :mad:

#3 ·
This isn’t even a law. It’s just another rule the ATF decided on. They can change the rules on imports whenever they want.

I haven’t heard anything pending against the importation of surplus handguns, but I wouldn’t be surprised. Maybe I need to pick up a Bulgarian Makarov like I have thought about doing, but never got around to. I don’t need one and I certainly don’t need another caliber in my collection, but they are cool and I would probably want one if I could no longer get one.

#5 ·
And so it seems to go on - chip-chip-chip ......... nibble-nibble-nibble.

Keep wondering ever more about ''government by the people for the people'' ............ something has gone way off track. Can we say runaway train?

#8 ·
Eh that may be. The catch is though I wouldn't do this for months, and by then the prices will be higher due to the fact you basically would have to either buy someone else's gun or else purchase the entire gun.

I had looked into having one built by a gunsmith company in Arizona late next year. They take an Imbel receiver and then build the rifle up around it with, guess what, a parts kit. Costs a cool $900+ dollars but tottally worth it and probably just as good as some of the really expensive ones.

It's probably just as well anyway. My only real fascination with it was its history and the fact I am overly obsessed with the idea that .308 is such a great caliber.

#12 ·
#16 ·
DSA makes an FAL with all new parts. The best FAL out there, but it will cost you about $1400. They also make one with mostly new parts except for the Austrian barrel. That will run you about $900-$1000. They probably have enough barrels that they are going to be making them for quite some time, but I would expect the price will go up.

The bottom line is this is going to affect the cheaper stuff. You will still be able to get AKs and FALs (for now - get them while you can), but it will be the higher dollar ones. They will even be able to import some parts, but that US made barrel is going to drive up the price.

#17 ·
Well that was kind of my point JT. I have to plan these things out well in advance. By the time I get there, I probably won't be able to afford it as the prices will be higher. Actually a better way to say it is that I'll be looking at my other options and realizing I can do better if I go with another firing platform.

Unless they ban the Romanian imports, I think that there will still be an affordable AK 47 clone option but the prices will go up somewhat to the point they won't be as desireable. The higher end AK clones will become even more expensive.

But this too makes the other systems look like better alternatives, as the whole point of the AK 47 clone is that it gets the job done but it's a whole lot cheaper than other platforms.

That's one reason I've kind of avoided considering an AR-15 seriously until I got something else first because for what you pay, you really don't get that much return on your investment. The firing platform itself is well overpriced.

But when you can find deals like the ones I just posted, and the prices of these other platforms suddenly jump $100 or more, the AR-15 system suddenly looks reasonable especially when you consider how flexible it is.

#19 ·
Jt

Oh So...this will affect the Saturday Night Special assault rifles. :biggrin:

"The bottom line is this is going to affect the cheaper stuff. You will still be able to get AKs and FALs (for now - get them while you can), but it will be the higher dollar ones. They will even be able to import some parts, but that US made barrel is going to drive up the price."

#21 ·
QKShooter said:
Oh So...this will affect the Saturday Night Special assault rifles. :biggrin:
Yep. And the rest is on their radar screen.

Although, I would say the Saturday Night Special Priced assault weapons. Cheap price, but still decent quality thanks to being made with surplus parts and/or cheap labor.

#22 ·
JT said:
Although, I would say the Saturday Night Special Priced assault weapons. Cheap price, but still decent quality thanks to being made with surplus parts and/or cheap labor.
Yeah, that's the thing I think that's getting to the alphabets.

The FALs before the kits were $2k guns. I'd hoped to own one, someday. Now I own five (six if you count one on near-permanent loan). The ones I've built clocked in well under $500.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.