DPMS LR-308 opinions please

This is a discussion on DPMS LR-308 opinions please within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm wanting to purchase a .308 target rifle, I have come down to two choices. 1. Springfield National match 2. DPMS LR308 What are your ...

Thread: DPMS LR-308 opinions please

Senior Member Array flagflyfish's Avatar

I'm wanting to purchase a .308 target rifle, I have come down to two choices.

1. Springfield National match
    2. DPMS LR308

What are your opinions of these rifles? There is a big price difference, and I usually go by the "you get what you pay for"doctrine. Everything that I have read puts the two rifles toe to toe at the firing line, but what about longevity? I would like to have a rifle that will be a dedicated long range gun and have been told that the only difference is in the bolt lockup, that being that the DPMS will lockup more uniformly shot per shot than the springfield. The other thing that I noticed is the scope mounting system on the springfield, it looks a little hokey to me. Thanks Rex
    "These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier
    and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the
    service of his country; but he that stands it now, deserves the
    love and thanks of man and woman."

-- Thomas Paine (The American Crisis, No. 1, 19 December 1776)

Check around for magazine prices, the cost of each might be something you'd want to consider. I wouldn't mind having the DPMS but a National Match M1A is on my Holy Grail list of rifles, there's something special about those Springfields.
    Jack

Not to muddy the waters, but why not get a DSA FAL or PTR 91...? I've had the opportuinty to work with a friend's NM quite a bit, and would take either the PTR or FAL first, in a heartbeat. The NM is nice, but overpriced and weighty. The DPMS is semi-proprietary in parts, IIRC, with a non-adjustable gas system. Are you looking for a "user" or a "trophy-plinker?"

I have an LR-308. It's a tack driver--with a 24" bull barrel it will shoot 1/3 MOA. In this configuration it is a bench rifle as it weighs a TON. The 16" versions are very easy to carry and shoot, and I don't think you lose much in terms of accuracy.

I looked at the PTR 91. I want to reload my brass, so the HK or HK clone was out at the start. Those rifles destroy the brass as they eject it.

I have no problem with the FAL, but I've always found them a little dated. It's a 50 year old design and it shows. My purchase wound down to an M1A1 or the AR 10. I saved about $500 in buying the AR10, so that's what I did. I'm happy with the decision, and I'll now consider a 16" upper.

You won't be disappointed!
    HK Dan
    "What does Marcellus Wallace LOOK like?"

I own the DPMS in .308, which I notice is on sale through RGUNS with a quad rail for $1095. This rifle is the perfect badboy accompanyment to the AR in .223, which is now my Varmit ONLY gun (that has a bipod and 24" bull barrel)

The .308 w/ 16" barrel makes standing groups at 100yds w/ iron sights tight and consistent. Clearing and CQB stuff is greatly facilitated by what I can only ascribe to greater confidence in a larger round. The action is quick, smooth and precise. I love it.

DPMS has been a client of our company for a long time. I'm superglad to finally be able to say I am one of their's, too!

AK Dan was spot on regarding the FAL...except where DS Arms is concerned. I would definitely check out their OSW 58, because THAT is one bad tactical rifle.

S
    A man in the hands of his enemies is flesh, and shudderingly vulnerable. - author unknown

I have both the DPMS .308 16" and an M1A (albeit an 18" version). Both are more accurate than me and both fun to shoot. I finally zeroed the DPMS this weekend and was using one paster for each 3 shot group.

Ammo is pricey. M1A mags are cheaper than the DPMS mags but I have 4 mags for the DPMS and that's plenty for me.

I spent 20 years in the M16 Army so the controls on the DPMS are more user friendly to me.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by HK Dan View Post
    I looked at the PTR 91. I want to reload my brass, so the HK or HK clone was out at the start. Those rifles destroy the brass as they eject it.
    Not unless its very light weight or you're shooting hot loads. Fluting won't do anything unless you put unusual pressure on the cases. I had scorch marks, but reloaded for my 91 with a Lee Loader.

DPMS does make some nice rifles...

Links