Storing your HD shotgun

This is a discussion on Storing your HD shotgun within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Where do you keep your HD shotgun and how do you keep it safe? I just picked up an 870 Special and got all the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 30

Thread: Storing your HD shotgun

  1. #1
    Member Array doctor_ocks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Nebraska
    Posts
    72

    Storing your HD shotgun

    Where do you keep your HD shotgun and how do you keep it safe? I just picked up an 870 Special and got all the ATI tacticool stuff on order (should be here this thursday). It will be our primary HD firearm, but I have concerns about storing it. I'm not worried about my 6 month old getting his hands on it, but we do have a lot of nieces/nephews/friends kids over at our house and most of those children have little to no exposure to guns. My handguns are easy as they're in their lock boxes next to the bed, but the shotty I'm a little unsure of. Looking for ideas on where to put the thing so that it's loaded, easy to access, but out of little hands reach.

  2. Remove Ads

  3. #2
    Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    West Tennessee
    Posts
    1,464
    Although not my primary option, my Rem1100 with short, slug barrel stays in the safe next to the hatch.

    The safe stays with the dial unlocked and set to the second-to-last number and is easily manipulted to the final number in the combination.

    EDIT:

    I suppose one possibility would be a gun rack mounted six to seven feet from the floor, not over any climbable furniture.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

  4. #3
    VIP Member Array Janq's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    6,781
    Doctor,

    Take a look at a thread I'd started last month;

    'Are there mechanical locks for shotgun actions?'
    http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...t=shotgun+lock

    Be sure to read through to the end of the thread and note the solutions indicated, one of which might be perfect for your own use.
    Note the Benelli 'Chamber Lock' product is not specific to Benelli product.

    - Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

    "A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

  5. #4
    Senior Moderator
    Array pgrass101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    13,399
    While I don't use a shotgun anymore for home defense (now use M1 carbine).

    I put a couple of bicycle hooks above the door in the bedroom closet and hung the shotgun (now carbine) from them.

    From outside of the closet with the door open, you can't see the carbine. You have to step in the closet and turn around and look up.

    My son and nephews can't reach it even if they know it is there.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

    ― Robert A. Heinlein,

  6. #5
    Senior Member Array ridurall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    SW Oklahoma
    Posts
    757
    Quote Originally Posted by Agave View Post
    Although not my primary option, my Rem1100 with short, slug barrel stays in the safe next to the hatch.

    The safe stays with the dial unlocked and set to the second-to-last number and is easily manipulted to the final number in the combination.

    I had not thought of that and tend to leave my vaults set so that all I have to do is turn the dial to the right till it stops and open it. I also notice that many of my customers leave their vaults set the same way. This made me wonder if many crooks realize this. I warn my customers about it when I see their vaults set that way. I make a point of not looking into their vaults but I am surprised at how many vaults out there have the combo dialed just waiting for some crook to open them and take everything. I always spin my dials before leaving the house but I suppose I could forget. Just leaving 1 number to dial is a great idea. I'm going to start doing this. Thanks for the idea.
    Life member NRA since 1983
    I carry a Kimber Ultra Carry II in a Crossbreed SuperTuck. My wife carries a Walther PPS .40 w/Crossbreed holster.

  7. #6
    Moderator
    Array RETSUPT99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    44,411
    I always have a pistol on me when at home. Both safes are open...cracked open...for easy access. The coach gun is loaded and sitting right inside the safe.
    When I leave the house for even short sessions, both safes get locked...first chore when arriving home is to unlock both safes...

    Stay armed...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

    ***********************************
    Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

  8. #7
    Ex Member Array jmsstnr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    A=(pi)200mi.^sq
    Posts
    105

    Dear Sir

    Are you married? If so, where is your wife. My wife is my backup, I send her to all the classes I can, and give her a briefing on where everything is.

    James

    Edit here:

    To answer your question, my HD shotgun, is in the 'office closet' a room that no one uses. However, my wife has her pistol and I have mine in the B/R dresser at night and we wear them during the day.

  9. #8
    Senior Member Array Chuck R.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Leavenworth, KS
    Posts
    616
    Here's mine:



    Benelli M1S90 under my bed in a V-Line Long-Gun case with simplex push-button combination.

    Keeps the gun secure and I've matched the combo on my V-Line pistol case in the nightstand.

    Chuck
    homo homini lupus est

  10. #9
    Member Array target1911's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Ft Worth TX
    Posts
    198
    My son and nephews can't reach it even if they know it is there.

    Dont be so sure of that. I couldnt find my 2 step girls and niece one day and I knwe they were in the house. I found all 3 of them (ages 5-9) on the top shelf of the closet. YES all 3 got in BIG trouble for that but it doesnt change the fact that they were up there.

    My sister also found my 5yo nephew and one of my other nieces in the top of her closet one day. There was a pistol in the top of that one tho fortunatly unloaded. No they did not find it.

    Just for the record, niether of the closets were stacked with boxes. Kids will climb.
    David

    Ride hard and Shoot safe

    The first rule of gunfighting should be to know when the gunfight starts - being the last one to get the news certainly won't put the odds in your favor.

  11. #10
    Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    West Tennessee
    Posts
    1,464
    Quote Originally Posted by target1911 View Post
    Kids will climb.
    Yeah we will. I remember finding my dad's Sn'dub on the top shelf in his closet. I was about five. Was it loaded? I don't know. I did know that I wasn't allowed to touch it and I didn't.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

  12. #11
    Senior Moderator
    Array pgrass101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    13,399
    Quote Originally Posted by target1911 View Post
    Dont be so sure of that. I couldnt find my 2 step girls and niece one day and I knwe they were in the house. I found all 3 of them (ages 5-9) on the top shelf of the closet. YES all 3 got in BIG trouble for that but it doesnt change the fact that they were up there.

    My sister also found my 5yo nephew and one of my other nieces in the top of her closet one day. There was a pistol in the top of that one tho fortunatly unloaded. No they did not find it.

    Just for the record, niether of the closets were stacked with boxes. Kids will climb.

    Thanks, I'll have to look at a latch to secure it.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

    ― Robert A. Heinlein,

  13. #12
    Senior Member Array Scot Van's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Versailles, KY
    Posts
    830
    Doc,

    SO GLAD YOU DECIDED TO OUTFIT YOUR NEW 870 WITH OUR TACTICAL STUFF!

    Sorry, all, but I still get a little thrill every time I see someone post like this.

    You're choosing to outfit with products that are used by DCJS instructors, NRA Law Enforcement instructors, police armorers and rangemasters all over the country (I won't drop names, but if anyone wants to know, PM me).

    I want to extend a personal invite to you to contact me regarding the stocks and other items you're putting on your Remington if you have any questions or concerns. Further, lemme' know if you need any help installing (some things can be a little tricky).

    We have three new stocks on the way for Christmas....

    1.) 6 Position collapsible, side folding pistolgrip buttstock and forend for Mini14/Mini30 rifles. (see pic)

    2.) same as above for AK rifles (see pic)

    3.) 6 position collapsible for AR15 rifles (see pic)

    All of our stuff is up on our new site...

    www.atigunstocks.com

    (DEAR MODERATORS>>>the owner of our company is OCONUS until Februrary, at which point I intend to get authorization to establish advertising space on the home page. Though we don't do much for handgunners, this place is definitely something he'll want to support. I should note that my contributions to date have been personal and do not involve ATI monies at all. Please allow this post to remain, as I very infrequently mention my company or products, and NEVER initiate them in any thread)


    OH, yeah. Doc, I keep the 870 under the bed (no kids yet, so I think I'm ok.
    Attached Images
    A man in the hands of his enemies is flesh, and shudderingly vulnerable. - author unknown

  14. #13
    Member Array doctor_ocks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Nebraska
    Posts
    72
    Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    Doctor,

    Take a look at a thread I'd started last month;

    'Are there mechanical locks for shotgun actions?'
    http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...t=shotgun+lock

    Be sure to read through to the end of the thread and note the solutions indicated, one of which might be perfect for your own use.
    Note the Benelli 'Chamber Lock' product is not specific to Benelli product.

    - Janq
    Thanks for that, man! I'll run over to Cabella's..I'm pretty sure they're Benelli dealers.

  15. #14
    Member Array doctor_ocks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Nebraska
    Posts
    72
    Quote Originally Posted by Scot Van View Post
    Doc,

    SO GLAD YOU DECIDED TO OUTFIT YOUR NEW 870 WITH OUR TACTICAL STUFF!

    Sorry, all, but I still get a little thrill every time I see someone post like this.

    You're choosing to outfit with products that are used by DCJS instructors, NRA Law Enforcement instructors, police armorers and rangemasters all over the country (I won't drop names, but if anyone wants to know, PM me).

    I want to extend a personal invite to you to contact me regarding the stocks and other items you're putting on your Remington if you have any questions or concerns. Further, lemme' know if you need any help installing (some things can be a little tricky).

    We have three new stocks on the way for Christmas....

    1.) 6 Position collapsible, side folding pistolgrip buttstock and forend for Mini14/Mini30 rifles. (see pic)

    2.) same as above for AK rifles (see pic)

    3.) 6 position collapsible for AR15 rifles (see pic)

    All of our stuff is up on our new site...

    www.atigunstocks.com

    (DEAR MODERATORS>>>the owner of our company is OCONUS until Februrary, at which point I intend to get authorization to establish advertising space on the home page. Though we don't do much for handgunners, this place is definitely something he'll want to support. I should note that my contributions to date have been personal and do not involve ATI monies at all. Please allow this post to remain, as I very infrequently mention my company or products, and NEVER initiate them in any thread)


    OH, yeah. Doc, I keep the 870 under the bed (no kids yet, so I think I'm ok.
    Wow thanks for all that! Here's the combo kit that I got



    Folding stock, vert foregrip, heat shield with ghost rings, and 5 shell holder. I'm REALLY excited to get it...should be here this thursday. I plan on bringing my 870 in to work with me and getting it all assembled as soon as it arrives.

    Originally, I didn't want that foregrip but for the price that I got everything, I couldn't go wrong.

    Oh, and BTW I got this from FTF Industries who I assume is one of your dealers. They've been great to deal with.

  16. #15
    Senior Member Array Scot Van's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Versailles, KY
    Posts
    830
    Quote Originally Posted by doctor_ocks View Post
    Folding stock, vert foregrip, heat shield with ghost rings, and 5 shell holder. I'm REALLY excited to get it...should be here this thursday. I plan on bringing my 870 in to work with me and getting it all assembled as soon as it arrives.

    Originally, I didn't want that foregrip but for the price that I got everything, I couldn't go wrong.

    Oh, and BTW I got this from FTF Industries who I assume is one of your dealers. They've been great to deal with.
    FTF is a stellar retailer.

    That fore end you bought is usually something that people either love or hate. I prefer our abbreviated traditional fore end to a pistol grip, but that is all in personal preference.

    Lemme' know when you get 'er!

    scot@atigunstocks.com
    A man in the hands of his enemies is flesh, and shudderingly vulnerable. - author unknown

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. CT Laws on Storing Gun in Car
    By Jetpilot007 in forum Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: October 7th, 2009, 07:20 PM
  2. Storing firearms
    By Samson1 in forum General Firearm Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: March 24th, 2009, 10:23 PM
  3. Storing a gun in a jeep
    By MiloSC in forum Related Gear & Equipment
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: February 13th, 2009, 02:44 PM
  4. If storing in your glovebox.
    By JammanX in forum Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: October 17th, 2008, 08:09 PM
  5. Question about storing my AK
    By MikeGoob in forum Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: July 2nd, 2008, 06:08 PM

Search tags for this page

830 stock forend
,

benelli chamber gun lock

,

benelli chamber lock

,

boyt secure vault

,

hd shotgun

,
home defense under bed shotgun case
,

shotgun case for under bed

,

simplex shotgun case

,

under bed gun case

,

under bed shot gun case

,

under bed shotgun case

,
underbed shotgun case
Click on a term to search for related topics.