Laws affecting Benelli M4 Tactical shotgun ownership

This is a discussion on Laws affecting Benelli M4 Tactical shotgun ownership within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Is there any law that prohibits civilians from owning a Benelli M4 Tactical auto loading shotgun with a factory Benelli magazine extension which gives it ...

Thread: Laws affecting Benelli M4 Tactical shotgun ownership

Is there any law that prohibits civilians from owning a Benelli M4 Tactical auto loading shotgun with a factory Benelli magazine extension which gives it a 7+1 round capacity? Here is a picture below.

Since PA is not one of the few states with a stupid "assault weapons" ban, no, there are no laws at the state or federal level that would keep an eligible person from buying one.

I personally would get it with the collapsible stock.

Cool gun ..get it in camo!!

No reason I can think of why you couldn't buy it. I recommend against the collapsible stock - its quite uncomfortable to shoot with, doesn't reduce length much, and takes too long to extend IMO.

Austin

Actually, yes there is a law. I only know the final number which is 922(r). It basically states that since it is an imported firearm that you can't remake the gun by putting the full length mag tube on. It is the same deal as putting the collapsible stock on. If you were wanting to legally do this you could try and find enough US made parts, 5 i believe, and put those on. Or you could register it as an SBS and do what you want. You don't have to cut the barrel down either.

the Benelli forums are a good resource for information on this topic. And there are some people who are making after market parts.

http://www.benelliusa.com/forum/index.php

this is a major topic so do a search, or multiple searches and you will find all that you need to know, and then some.

Can you tell I had to research this exact question not too long ago?

jualdeaux: How did you get around the problem? What US made parts did you put on your M4 Tactical? I hit the link but it doesn't specify whether or not I can install the Benelli factory +2 extension if I changed the trigger, disconnector, and hammer with US made parts. Do you have the factory +2 extension on your M4 Tactical?

Take a look at this and please tell me if I am reading it right. If my Benelli M4 Tactical has a standard traditional shotgun stock without the pistol grip I can have the factory +2 extension. Please correct me if I am wrong. Here is the link.

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=19536

Applies to custom work

Quote Originally Posted by jualdeaux View Post
    Actually, yes there is a law. I only know the final number which is 922(r). It basically states that since it is an imported firearm that you can't remake the gun by putting the full length mag tube on. It is the same deal as putting the collapsible stock on. If you were wanting to legally do this you could try and find enough US made parts, 5 i believe, and put those on. Or you could register it as an SBS and do what you want. You don't have to cut the barrel down either.

the Benelli forums are a good resource for information on this topic. And there are some people who are making after market parts.

http://www.benelliusa.com/forum/index.php

this is a major topic so do a search, or multiple searches and you will find all that you need to know, and then some.

Can you tell I had to research this exact question not too long ago?
    I could be mistaken but you can buy this shotgun as you see it in the photos. No custom work applies here as it is stock as you see it. You can get it with collapse stocks and other variations. It would be no diffrent than buying a Remington Marine or Border patrol. You have to watch to make sure the barrel legnth is at least 18". Only law enforcement/ military can go 14". I hope I didnt misunderstand the question.
    Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.
    Ronald Reagan

Here is a thread from the Benelli forums that talks about this.

http://www.benelliusa.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14567

VIP Member
    I am not a lawyer and did not stay at the Holiday Inn last night so...

What 922(r) does is that you cannot reconfigure your weapon into an original made outside of the US gun. It must have at least 5 US Made Parts. This is a common thing with AK owners that want to upgrade their babies with all the tacticool stuff.

If that shotgun is new & of recent purchase from Benelli by the gun shop you have a very good chance that the gun conforms with 922(r). Just make sure any part you want to change is made in the US.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Quote Originally Posted by Miggy View Post
    I am not a lawyer and did not stay at the Holiday Inn last night so...

What 922(r) does is that you cannot reconfigure your weapon into an original made outside of the US gun. It must have at least 5 US Made Parts. This is a common thing with AK owners that want to upgrade their babies with all the tacticool stuff.

If that shotgun is new & of recent purchase from Benelli by the gun shop you have a very good chance that the gun conforms with 922(r). Just make sure any part you want to change is made in the US.
    As long as you change all 5 at the same time. If, of course, one of those parts reconfigures the shotgun.

Senior Member Array Knuckledrager's Avatar
    ".................It shall be unlawful for any person to assemble from imported parts any semiautomatic rifle or any shotgun which is identical to any rifle or shotgun prohibited from importation under the Section 925(d)(3)...as not being particularly suitable for or readily adaptable to sporting purposes... Also, 27 C.F.R. Section 478.39 (formerly 178.39) states-

This part of 922 addresses the manufacture of only those weapons that are PROHIBITED FROM IMPORTATION. That is the key phrase and was meant to prevent the construction of things like AK's. The M4 shotgun does not fall into that category. Adding factory parts like stocks and extended mag tubes is not a problem.
    "The liberty of the individual is no gift of civilization. It was greatest before there was any civilization." Sigmund Freud

As was stated previously, you can buy that shotgun as pictured. However, it does not have a true magazine extension and it's capacity is not 7+1 rounds. The part that looks like a magazine extension is just a dummy extension. If you look close you can see the part of it where it looks crimped like a bendable straw, which is a giveaway that it's not a real extension.

I also don't believe it's possible to buy a factory extension in the US due to import restrictions (it's not used for "sporting purposes"), but there are several aftermarket versions available.

And to address a previous post, depending on what state you're in it may very well be legal to have a shotgun with a barrel shorter than 18", military or LE status notwithstanding. All you have to do is get the right forms approved, pay the ATF $200, and a couple other things, and you can have a shotgun with as short a barrel as you want. And unless you're buying a shotgun from an idiot seller, there's no way you'll accidentally buy a Short Barrel Shotgun, they're highly regulated.

Or instead of the Benelli, you could just buy a Remington 870 Police model with a factory extension. Just a thought...

Nice shotgun.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Sponsored Links