Why I hate the Ar-15/ M-16!

This is a discussion on Why I hate the Ar-15/ M-16! within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Sorry if this is the wrong forum, please move if need be. Anyway, it seems a lot of people really like the M-16 and it's ...

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Why I hate the Ar-15/ M-16!

Why I hate the Ar-15/ M-16!

Sorry if this is the wrong forum, please move if need be.

Anyway, it seems a lot of people really like the M-16 and it's variants. I wouldn't have the time to count all the threads about them on this forum. But my question is why?

I used different one's for a while in the Army, but eventually moved on to better weapons. If there is one rifle I HATE, it would have to be the M-16. Even if you have a reliable one, you can't get past the ineffective round. Great for killing groundhogs, but not people.

Just can't understand the love for this rifle.
    "Nice grips, weird choice of etching" Rocky

2. Remove Ads

The less than effective round is why I chose an AR-10. The lager round will do so much more, and most all parts are interchangeable with the 15, and 16 platform.

It is not a bad idea to have a .223, so when it hits the fan you have the ability to defend your self if .223 is all you can get your hands on. With the number of ARs out their you could get parts when needed.
    Aaron

If you don't protect your self, who will?

Lots of dead poeple around the world with testify to the 5.56's killing ability.

Put the round where it belongs and people go down. Works with every firearm.

If there is one weapon I would take when TSHTF, it would be my M4gery. And I do have a couple of 30 caliber battle rifles lying around.

Ineffective round as far as military ball goes, but with some decent civilian or LEO ammo, not as much. I don't own one, yet, but I certainly intend to buy one since the weapon itself is as adaptable and configurable a weapons system as there is out there right now. Not to say that others are not, but the AR-15 as a platform is just the ticket for someone like me.
    Firefighter/EMT
    "You've never lived until you've almost died. For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know" - T.R.

<----My LT was unhappy that I did not have my PASS-Tag at that fire. But I found the body so he said he would overlook it. :)

Quote Originally Posted by Joe R View Post
    Lots of dead poeple around the world with testify to the 5.56's killing ability.

Put the round where it belongs and people go down. Works with every firearm.

If there is one weapon I would take when TSHTF, it would be my M4gery. And I do have a couple of 30 caliber battle rifles lying around.
    Occasionally the round would kill with one shot, but without getting too gruesome, it was rarely effective. To me the AK47 works much better. Jams less, and always seemed to be one lying around when needed one (or at least they used to be).

For me it was an epiphany of sorts. Kind of like how I will never use 9mm ever again; .45 only. If I have to shoot I would rather go with what I know works, not what everyone else says is supposed to work.
    "Nice grips, weird choice of etching" Rocky

Senior Member Array Maverickx50's Avatar

As i recall

There are two primary goals met with the M16. The round is smaller round means you can carry more and they are less expensive. The second is it's better to injure than kill. Every man wounded takes two more to carry him off the field. This does ignore the guy behind the wall or wearing the vest of course but then we are talking a decision made my government employees.

Guess that was actually three reasons? Guess I should be working for the government too LOL.
    I carry to protect myself and my loved ones from the BG's. Not to solve societies problems. That said: if more carried the deterrent would only have a positive overall effect on those problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Maverickx50 View Post
    The second is it's better to injure than kill.
    Funny how no one can substantiate that argument with facts. In fact the former commander of the Army Marksmanship Unit has stated to me and others in a Highpower forum discussion that such "reason" for the 5.56 is pure urban legend and that NOWHERE in US Army doctrine is that found or taught.

Sold mine after numerous jam problems. Got a Mini-30. (7.62 X 39) Cheaper ammo - no problems except occasional misfires on Russian surplus ammo with Berdan primers. Totally reliable with good ammo. I am amazed at all the people that question the reliability of 1911 pistols but like AR15's. Lots of soldiers in Vietnam went back to M14's due to reliability / performance issues.

Hey Terry, we'll start a support group.

I'm of the opinion that both the AR15 and the .223 are most overrated. Of course overrated never stopped "conventional wisdom" before and the AR is the hottest thing going right now. I'm just biding my time until the AR fad dies down, and it will die down.

I've got a Colt SP-1 but don't take it too seriously. The M1 (and M1A) does my talking.

Administrator
    This thread would be more effective if it was in the right place...

I've never had an issue with a quality AR/M16 platform jamming or other wise ineffective. It like blaming the bat for not hitting a homerun.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by gddyup View Post
    Ineffective round as far as military ball goes
    It depends which ball you are talking about.

M855, not so much. M193, however, is devastating within its fragmentation velocity envelope.

I have friends that use 68gr Sierra Match King hps(and heavier) in theirs and they are one shot stoppers. They don't use the gr. tip penetrators.
    ...one jagged hole!

Quote Originally Posted by libertarian5 View Post
    Sold mine after numerous jam problems.
    If you don't buy a an AR from a Tier 1 or Tier 1A maker, yes, you will have problems.

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    I'm just biding my time until the AR fad dies down, and it will die down.

Seeing how it is the longest serving infantry rifle in the last 100 years or so, I think you will be waiting for quite a while.

Why even own one..there are much better options for self defense for the same price or less.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Links