EoTech 3x Magnifier - My first look (w/pics, 56k beware)

This is a discussion on EoTech 3x Magnifier - My first look (w/pics, 56k beware) within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Just picked up an EoTech 3x magnifier with the FTS (Flip to Side) mount. I'm by no means an expert in optics, but I thought ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: EoTech 3x Magnifier - My first look (w/pics, 56k beware)

EoTech 3x Magnifier - My first look (w/pics, 56k beware)

Just picked up an EoTech 3x magnifier with the FTS (Flip to Side) mount. I'm by no means an expert in optics, but I thought i'd offer my first impressions nonetheless.

Optic: It looks great. It's clean, clear, bright, and sturdy. The reticle takes up an appropriate angle in the magnifier. Specs: 3.25 x fixed magnification, 1.65" eye relief, 6 degree field of view, 4.4" length, 6.5 oz weight, -20 to 140 F operating temp, waterproof to 33 ft, sealed fog proof internal optics.

Mount: Pic rail mount part is tight, and light. It attaches via a single screw (flathead *sigh*). It's ambidextrous. To use left handed, you just turn the mount backwards. The optic is mounted to the pic rail mount via a 2nd mount, which is quickly detachable by a small lever. The mount is adjustable both horizontally and vertically. There is room for improvement here. The adjustment screws are flatheads (boooo), and not replacable. There is not a large range of adjustment, either. Fortunately for me, it lined up well enough and wasn't outside the range. Also, the tension is not constant across the adjustment screw range. My concern is that if you are close to one extreme of the adjustment on your weapon, it may be loose and start to wiggle around a bit after firing. Also, the 2nd (upper) mount is connected to the lower pic rail mount on a single, relatively narrow rotating lever . This allows for some play. It shouldn't affect accuracy, but can wiggle the reticle around in the magnifier (probably a few MOA in the field of view). A better design might be a wider lever, or 2 levers (one in front, one in back).

Use with Larue QD mounted EoTech holo sight: It fits well. The magnifier and holo sight are along the same plane (i'm sure there's a fancy name for that that I don't know), and provide full field of view in the optic.

Overall: It's a good optic, with some room for improvement in the mount. It will still function relatively well, but I'd expect a little more from a 500 dollar solution (the 4x magnifier is even more expensive at 800-850 bucks).

War is not the ugliest of things. Worse is the decayed state of moral feeling which thinks nothing is worth a war. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which he cares for more than his personal safety, is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free. -J.S. Mill

2. Remove Ads

pics dont work

fixed, thanks for the heads up
    War is not the ugliest of things. Worse is the decayed state of moral feeling which thinks nothing is worth a war. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which he cares for more than his personal safety, is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free. -J.S. Mill

I have the same gripes with the standard mount, they don't seem to line up well with a flattop mounted eotech and the adjustment sucks but you can get it close enough for goverment work. WE just slapped a package together on a 556 and I really had to adjust the mount. I didn't like how elevation is only adjustable in the rear of the mount, you're stuck with angling the mount up or down., not raising the whole thing. Otherwise its a great system with super clear optics, the concept is great, like you said, it needs a little tweaking

Edit: pics are still not working
    كافر(Infidel)
    He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.
    Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil, Aphorism 146
    German philosopher (1844 - 1900)

Lead Moderator
    Pics working now, nice write up. Let us know how it works once you have used it a while.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Thats a CLEAR Safety Violation....You don't point a gun at an UN-OPENED Amstel!!!!!!!!!

Very cool did that flip up mount come with or did you have to get it separate.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Great aim!
    What, me worry?

VIP Member
    Great.... Another 500 clams I'm gonna have to shell out before I go back to the sandbox... :)

I'm also curious about the mount (heck, all of it) re vendors, prices, etc. Where'd you do your shopping?
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob99VMI04 View Post
    did that flip up mount come with or did you have to get it separate.
    flip up mount came with the magnifier. you can also buy them with a fixed mount.

I'm also curious about the mount (heck, all of it) re vendors, prices, etc. Where'd you do your shopping?
    i got it from a vendor called SOGArmory at the SAR gunshow.

www.sogarmory.com

they had a very good selection, were knowledgable, and seemed like good folks.

i'm aware of at least one alternative to this. LaRue also makes a flip-to-the-side mount with a magnifier (your choice of an Aimpoint 3x or a cheaper one). you'll probably pay more for it, but LaRue only makes top-rate stuff.

http://stores.homestead.com/Laruetac...ail.bok?no=131

I still can't figure out why a magnifier would cost almost twice that the EOTech does (I have a 512 rev F)? Same goes for the Aimpoint!
    Thanks for the write up though.
    Kahr CW9
    Sig P239/9mm
    Ruger LC9 (when the girlfriend lets me carry her gun)

"First Duty is To Remember"

Quote Originally Posted by Rob99VMI04 View Post
    Thats a CLEAR Safety Violation....You don't point a gun at an UN-OPENED Amstel!!!!!!!!!
    No kidding! Clearly a case of alcohol abuse!

Administrator
    Nice Photos and it looks like you have it all ready to roll.
    Great set-up.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

OD*
    phaed, which EOTech Holo is that?
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

Looks like the 512 to me.
    كافر(Infidel)
    He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.
    Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil, Aphorism 146
    German philosopher (1844 - 1900)

Quote Originally Posted by OD View Post
    phaed, which EOTech Holo is that?
    550 AA

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links