Make my 20 ga HD ready please!

This is a discussion on Make my 20 ga HD ready please! within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; 2nd attempt, since the first post didn't go through, apparently... Buying a second shotgun is not an option for me currently, so I would like ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

2nd attempt, since the first post didn't go through, apparently...

Buying a second shotgun is not an option for me currently, so I would like to make my Remington model 1100 LT 20 ready for home defense. So far, I have removed the plug, and am looking for a stock sock to keep more shot accessable on the stock. I'm not familiar with what is available ammunition-wise, other than the normal #8? I think? that I use for skeet and doves.

What do you think of this load (am open to other suggestions!):
    I picked up Winchester Xpert Hi Velocity shot today, though I'm not sure yet if I can fire it through my gun (will have to call Remington to see if my model accepts 3" shells- seems to, from casual observation!). This load is: 20 ga, 3 inches, 1500 FPS, 7/8 oz, #2, made for duck hunting.

Does anyone know of a way to mount a light for HD use? must not be permanent- the gun isn't about to quit its day job as a bird/clay killer!

Administrator
    As long as you have the proper choke, I think that shot would be OK for HD. There are better options, but that will do.

Heres something to think about... by the time you purchase what you need to convert the 1100, you can buy a 870 express HD model for under 3 bills if you know where to look.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Senior Moderator
    Birdshot is for birds. It's a *very* poor choice for self-defense.

It might make a nasty looking surface wound, but it lacks the penetration to stop an assailant effectively.

Get some buckshot. Much more effective for defensive applications.

That said, SIXTO has a point - by the time you get all the goodies for the 1100, you could probably get hold of an 870.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Senior Moderator
    +1 Sixto

You can even get a Mossberg 500 Home security combo for under $300 if you look. Then you have both 18" and 28" barrels
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Administrator
    Oh yeah, your 1100 should be stamped right on the gun if it accepts 3" shells or not.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Your 1100 should be marked " magnum " if it takes 3" shells . In all honestly you can get by fine with it in any event as a hd shotgun while you save up for a dedicated gun . Just pick you up some 4 buck loads ( assuming you live in town ) or larger if you dont . 4 buck wont perforate a lot of todays walls , but will do a number on a human under 30 yards or so . I suggest you dont waste more than 20 bucks or so on this shottie ( for a new screw in choke if its so equipped ) rather i suggest you save up for an economical 12 pump . Be it a mossberg 590 or a remmington 870 , or even another 1100 . Shotties like pistols are not really mix and match , ie you cant do the best job of defense with your trap gun , nor do you want your defense gun for trap .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

00 buck is available in 20 gauge, as is 000 and #4. A 3" polymer section of rail, with a light bracket and a decent little light will have you set. For the rail, you just drill 2 holes in the forearm, and bolt it on. You can use a mag-tube clamp, but that usually necessitates using a remote pressure switch, which I'm not too fond of.

http://www.commandarms.com/categories.asp?cID=65
    Tube/barrel options.

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/sto...OUNTING%20RAIL
    This is AAC's alloy, but you can search a cheaper polymer version.

http://www.commandarms.com/categories.asp?cID=19
    Light brackets.

VIP Member
    I don't know where your located, but Walmart sells 2 3/4" #3 buck around here. It seems to be the easiest 20ga. buck load for me to find. An idea for a light mount I saw on Personal Defense TV, struck me as an easy inexpensive way to mount a light on any non-pump shotgun. They cut about a 2" wide section of bicycle tire tube and slipped it over the forend, then simply put the light under the tube. Maybe not a preferred method, but it would work until you could do something else.
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

#2 shot is hardly your regular bird shot. Is it lead shot?

And it would be an effective HD shot if its lead I would say. I know that for a while it was a recommended low wall penetrator shot some were touting as the best choice for HD. And in 3" for that 20 guage, It should be very effective at close range. And put a lot of shot in the pattern. It is 3.8mm diameter as apposed to 6 mm for 4 Buck and gives a distinct advantage in the smaller diameter gun by putting more shot in the pattern. If its lead it should almost double the shot. It is Goose load and them things is hard to penetrate. I would not poo poo it so quickly. I would feel confident with it. I would load it without hesitation for HD. It is fairly hard to find. I would go no smaller though. Its about the smallest I would use. However it also has some distinct advantages that should not be so quickly dismissed. # 2 has a fairly large bit of lead to it.

Thanks for the input guys! I will look for the buckshot, I wasn't aware that you could even get buckshot in 20 ga. I realize that 12 ga pump guns have alot of advantages, but I just don't have the money to drop on one now- probably won't be able to do that for a few years, to be honest, as there are higher priority items on the list of needs and wants right now, since I can make do with the 20.

I like the bicycle tire idea- redneck, but functional! will try it soon, I have a spare innertube lying around somewhere.

So, what things are you guys thinking would be needed to get the gun tricked out? I can't imagine what else is needed that might add up to close to $300, but like I said, I have MUCH to learn about shotguns and HD, as my shotgun experience has solely been with small birds and clay. Not being sarcastic- seriously, what other add-ons are needed?

Lead Moderator
    Tricking out a shotgun is usually not needed. Short barrels are preferred for HD, as a 26-28" barrel gets to be hard to maneuver indoors. A new barrel will probably cost ya $100+ and may not cycle the gun correctly.
    You will find few add ons for 20 gauge as far as "tactical" products. Really, most are not needed anyway.
    buckshot is probably the best for HD, duck shot is steel BB's that don't seem to work as well on duck as lead used to, so lose em for HD.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by tellico View Post
    Thanks for the input guys! I will look for the buckshot, I wasn't aware that you could even get buckshot in 20 ga. I realize that 12 ga pump guns have alot of advantages, but I just don't have the money to drop on one now- probably won't be able to do that for a few years, to be honest, as there are higher priority items on the list of needs and wants right now, since I can make do with the 20.

I like the bicycle tire idea- redneck, but functional! will try it soon, I have a spare innertube lying around somewhere.

So, what things are you guys thinking would be needed to get the gun tricked out? I can't imagine what else is needed that might add up to close to $300, but like I said, I have MUCH to learn about shotguns and HD, as my shotgun experience has solely been with small birds and clay. Not being sarcastic- seriously, what other add-ons are needed?
    As a wise man once noted, it's the singer, not the song.

Much more important that having the latest tacti-cool gadgets hanging off the gun is having a plan for how you will defend yourself and your family, making sure everyone knows and understands what they need to do under that plan, and practicing.

The shotgun you have is going to be very difficult to maneuver inside the house properly. However, properly employed it should be quite sufficient.

Given the maneuverability issues, I'd suggest a "let him come to me, then make him wish he hadn't" model, as opposed to trying to go room to room.

You might look into a defensive shotgun class in your area. Probably the best money you can spend.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Trick out your shotgun on a budget

We offer a pistolgrip buttstock for the 1100 that runs about 45 bucks retail. You can tac. out that gun for very little cash...

See our (very affordable) shotgun products at

www.atigunstocks.com

Keep in mind that because your shotgun has a gas piston that extends into the stock, you have very few options in choosing a new stock. The ONLY one we make is the fixed pistol-grip I mentioned above.

Scot
    A man in the hands of his enemies is flesh, and shudderingly vulnerable. - author unknown

Look at Dick's, they have youth 20 ga. 870s for $225.00 after the rebate. While you are there, buy a full choke and a box or two of
    00 buckshot. The youth model is short, light and easier to handle. It will do the same thing the adult version will do. The 870 is as reliable as it gets and even if you made all those changes to your 1100 you would still have $200.00 more in it.
    The most and best is known to the man who quits his bed before sunrise... who spends his days on the mountains and forests...who bears the heat and cold and hunger and thirst, for the love of nature...to visit the utmost refuges of beast and bird .....Alfred Pease

Stick with your 20 gauge. Use Winchester 20 gauge 3-buck. It works just fine for self-defense.
    Semper Vigilantia - Semper Paratus
    NRA Life Member

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links