Range Report: Kel-Tec Su16 (C and CA Models)

This is a discussion on Range Report: Kel-Tec Su16 (C and CA Models) within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; EDIT: This is kinda long, so for the attention span challenged board members, the SU16's rock and there's pictures below! Some of you might remember ...

Thread: Range Report: Kel-Tec Su16 (C and CA Models)

Range Report: Kel-Tec Su16 (C and CA Models)

EDIT: This is kinda long, so for the attention span challenged board members, the SU16's rock and there's pictures below!

Some of you might remember my thread of Mini14 or Keltec Su16 from a little bit back. Anyways, as the thread title implies, I went with the SU16. Availability of parts, Keltec being friendlier than Ruger, uses AR mags, and weight all went into me going this route.

Anyways, the idea was to have a light SHTF rifle that used the same mags (for me and my old lady). Parts are cheap and readily available from Kel-Tec. Their warranty service is industry recognized as good. These rifles also take the plentiful AR-15 Mags!

I ended up with the C model as my old lady liked the CA model better. They both come in at a whopping 4.7 lbs unloaded.

Reliability: Perfect. We shot 100 rounds of commercial and 100 rounds of my reloads through each of these rifles (200 rounds each). There were no problems of any kind outside of a cheap Colt 20 round mag I bought at a gunshow that feeds anywhere from 1 - 4 rounds at a time. I'll start a thread later with a pic of that to see if anyone has an idea on how to fix it. Totally flawless with the Kel-Tec mags though.

Accuracy: Very good. With just the open sights out of the box I was easily keeping grapefruit sized groups at 25 yards in the offhand. If there was anything I would change it would be to use a smaller peep at the rear. For those of you familiar with the M16A2 rifle, it has the bigger peep hole instead of the smaller one. I think I could put forth better groups with the smaller peep. I'll probably throw a scope on it soon to see what it can do at 100 yards. I would imagine around 2 MOA from what I saw, but maybe better. Either way, totally acceptable for what I want this rifle to do.

Trigger: This is the only thing I'd somewhat complain about at this point. The trigger pull is pretty heavy for a rifle. There are numerous threads on making it smoother/lighter on the KTOG forums though, so perhaps I'll go that route. Also a gentlemen in Colorado that does trigger jobs on them for 35 bucks or so. It's a useable trigger, just could be a lot lot better.

Muzzle Climb: I thought this would be a bigger problem with a rifle so light. I noticed no real problems with this in the C model. I was considering compensators for the threaded barrel end, but I think I'll go with a flash suppressor instead. Follow-up shots were very easy to stay on target with (double taps and the like). My old lady (who's pretty new to rifle shooting) also says the same thing. Which makes me happy because she hated the SKS for being heavy, but I was worried that the SU16 might be harder to shoot for her.

Bottomline: These are very economical guns. The only issue I might would have is that the receiver is plastic. So far they seem very stout, but long term testing is required before I'll be ready to call them our SHTF rifles. Spare parts are easily acquired as well as magazines and other accessories. From what I've seen so far, I'd recommend these rifles to people as truck guns or just fun plinkers. They also fold in half and will easily fit into a backpack in this state. Easy to hide while backpacking or moving about if necessary.

Here's a couple of pics as well. Any day shooting with Lizzie (the old lady) is a great day for me. I always have fun shooting with her. :) Just gotta get her form looking better. A lot better than it was anyway. And at least I'm blessed with a woman that likes guns.

Last edited by SammyIamToday; December 10th, 2007 at 03:47 PM. Reason: added a line
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    Thanks for the review, I've thought about picking one of these up
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Very nice review, Thank you. I am now looking into one of these.

By the way, did you do any rapid fire bursts?

Quote Originally Posted by VegasSIG View Post
    Very nice review, Thank you. I am now looking into one of these.

By the way, did you do any rapid fire bursts?
    Yes. I found it very controllable in the C model. It was climbing maybe slightly faster than the M16A2 did, but not bad at all. I need to pick up some 30 rounders to really see how it would do. From what I've read on KTOG they can get hot pretty quick. I didn't get them to lay down suppressive fire though, so it may or may not be what you're looking for.

Also fired a couple with the folding stock down just to see what it was like (I had to know!). Couldn't hardly hit anything, but it was fun.
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

sweet. thanks. i just picked up a c model last week.

Links