AR-15...help me out.

This is a discussion on AR-15...help me out. within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Ok, I want one. Badley. But, I'm 24, newly married and a new home owner. So, is it cheaper to buy a full rifle, or ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AR-15...help me out.

AR-15...help me out.

Ok, I want one. Badley. But, I'm 24, newly married and a new home owner. So, is it cheaper to buy a full rifle, or an upper and a lower separate? I can get a Bushmaster at the local place for 1,000 out the door. Somebody let me know please?
    God Bless America!!

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    You can get full rifles for less than a grand, and upper-lower combos for slightly less still if you look around a bit.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

I know the feeling I just got married and purchased a new house also but I bought my AR before the big day.
    What are you looking for a tactical or a varmint type gun also what is you budget??

Lead Moderator
    Check out http://www.ar15.com/forums/index.html. If you shop around , you can buy parts and build it cheaper. (however , builds sometimes do not work as well as a factory gun).
    Maybe do some reading on arfcom , then ask some more questions. there are so many possibilities and configurations to choose from.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Tactical. I would like to spend around 700 to 800 but still get good quality. I've got a Mossberg 500 I cut down for a house gun, but would like to get the AR-15 to replace it.
    God Bless America!!

Senior Member Array blueyedevil's Avatar
    Personally I'm hoping that I'll have enough saved up before we see another black rifle ban, to buy the new Magpul Massada.....

Another reason I'd like to do this soon.....Cause if a Dem gets is the WH. It could and will get ugly.
    God Bless America!!

No reason you can't find nice Bushmaster for 7-800 bucks. Depending on what you want end result--building one yourself might save you a couple hundred. With a factory new one, (especially Bushmaster), you'll have a good warranty, and excellent customer support. Used might not be out of the question as you could get a new bolt assembly for around $100.

Lead Moderator
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Just a word of caution on that one-----it clearly states .223 Remington for the caliber. Do not shoot 5.56mm ammunition in it. Bushmaster finally put out a warning in their catalogs over two years ago about the excessive pressures by doing so. Get you one with a chrome lined bore as well.

CMMG bargin bin rifles would be good for a first rifle!
    And you being tight on cash, at $570 this most likely the cheapest you'll find.
    Also if you look at the drop-down menu for rifle configuration at the bottom you'll see that they have several styles to choose from.
    Come tax time I'll get one if they are still available (cash is tight for me also).

http://cmmginc.secure-mall.com/shop/...?shop=1&cat=33

Here's mine on the right:
    Kahr CW9
    Sig P239/9mm
    Ruger LC9 (when the girlfriend lets me carry her gun)

"First Duty is To Remember"

AMH
    Shop around, look at a shotgunnews
    Join the NRA!
    The Second Amendment has nothing to do with hunting. It is about keeping the government in check. This requires that the citizenry is well armed and at all times has immediate access to arms.

This one cost me around $850 with the Eotech. all new.

Owning one is and a dozen good mags is an excellent idea.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

I'm not married so I spend my money on what I want.

Nothing wrong with a Bushy in the M4'rgery setup. What will cost you more than the rifle is the tricks and treats that you'll find yourself losing sleep over.

1. Optics: Aimpoint, Eotech, Nightforce, Aimpoint magnifier, PVS/14 etc.
    2. Mounts: LaRue, GG&G, A.R.M.S. etc
    3. Stock: LMT SOPMOD, Vltor EMOD, Mag Pul etc
    4. Sling mounts
    5. Rail systems: Surefire, Knights, Daniel Defense, LaRue etc
    6. White light systems: Surefire M910, Scoutlight, or other handheld with rail mounts.
    7. Grips: Mag Pul MIAD, Falcon ERGO etc (These are cheap but make a world of difference in my trigger reach)
    Some of my rifles may have started out as $700 rifles, but once outfitted to sport my tricks and treats they are now at retail prices around $2,300 - $4,000

Have fun.
    Perhaps your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links