Used shotgun purchase

This is a discussion on Used shotgun purchase within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I originally put this under the Short Barrel Shotgun thread, but decided to just make it it's own. I went for a wander through my ...

Thread: Used shotgun purchase

Used shotgun purchase

I originally put this under the Short Barrel Shotgun thread, but decided to just make it it's own.

I went for a wander through my friendly local pawnshop today, they have a used pistol-grip Mossberg w/ 18" barrel for like $150..! Should I be buying myself a toy 2 weeks before Christmas? No. Am I going back after work to tempt myself? Definately. Am I taking the darn thing home with me tonite..? Probably..... Any advice of things to check before buying a used shottie? Is that price too good to be true?
    .40 is fine.

2. Remove Ads

You should buy your own toy right before Christmas. I'm not a fan of the pistol grip shotguns but to each his own. The price sounds right.

I've never even shot one before, I've just always wanted one since I was about 14, and it seems to me that even if I just couldn't stand it and had to put a full stock on it later, it's a decent enough price, and the pistol grip would probably be nice for the home defense roll the gun would be playing anyway. It's just a shell holder and tach light away from being a lean, mean, bump-in-the-night gettin' machine..! :-)
    .40 is fine.

Well... I've never claimed to be a patient man... The point at which the nice man at the pawn shop offered to throw in a fiber-optic site, heat shield, and the background check, it was too good of a deal to pass up. So:

Mossberg 500A, 20" barrel (not 18") like I originally thought, 7+1 capacity, pistol grip, heat shroud, and fiber optic site - $150

Fulfilling a boyhood dream of owning a kick-butt shotgun "just like in the video games" - Priceless!
    Attached Images
    .40 is fine.

Sounds like a reasonable price - for someone with strong wrists. A good HD shottie nonetheless. Merry Xmas.

you did good, 150 is not bad for a 500. When you do shoot it and realize that the pistol grip is a wee bit painful slap a knoxx stock on there and you'll have on serious zombie slayer.
    كافر(Infidel)
    He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.
    Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil, Aphorism 146
    German philosopher (1844 - 1900)

Very nice. I liked my Mossberg 500 when I had it. It was a 20 gauge, six shot. Mine came factory with full stock, and I later added the pistol grip full stock (Black Warrior), and found a cheap used barrel and had it chopped to the legal limit or 18 1/4" with fiber optic front sight. I like the Mossberg 500 mainly because it's chambered for the 2 3/4 or 3" shells. They operate smooth also. Almost care-free. Good find in my book!

You "did good" getting it. With that deal I'd have bought it and I don't even want a pistol-grip shotgun. I'd be patting myself on the back and seeking an butt stock.

Sounds like a deal to me.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    Good buy, man!!!! I got my 500 on Halloween. Since then I've put about 200 rounds through it. Similar set-up, but mines a 5+1. I dig the pistl grip and I have actually shot skeet with it. haha Myself, I'm looking for the Knoxx SpecOps myself but everyplace and their mother seems to be sold out of it.

Enjoy!!
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

Sixbravo, I'm really lookin' forward to try it out on some clays, see if I can actually hit anything with it! :-) Just installed my shell holder, just gotta get my light!
    .40 is fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Griblik View Post
    Sixbravo, I'm really lookin' forward to try it out on some clays, see if I can actually hit anything with it! :-) Just installed my shell holder, just gotta get my light!

Haha It was a blast. I lift weights though so I have hardly any trouble with the thing. When we ran out of clays we tossed sodas - which was just amazing.

Just remember!!!!! There's no buttstock and it will come back into you if you're not careful!
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

Quote Originally Posted by Griblik View Post
    It'll be a great house gun...and yes...you will be able to hit any thing kicking in the back door...

Stay armed...buy some 'deep heat rub'...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by SixBravo View Post
    Just remember!!!!! There's no buttstock and it will come back into you if you're not careful!
    Hah, yeah, I've thought about that too, just holding it up to sight along it and "mocking" what recoil might do, there's some definate potential to catch it right in my nose. Not really sure what the "right" way to hold it will be, will have to experiment some.
    .40 is fine.

The first time I fired mine from that position, I did this:

I had a friend watch the rear of the gun itself. I held it out away so that the gun would not hit me on recoil, but also as close as possible to mimick what my body would be doing. I had the friend tell me whether or not, from how I was shooting, the butt would come back to hit me.

I igured it out after a few tries. Its not hard. Just remember to put a lot of force behind your trigger arm.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review

Links