Help SIXTO's wife pick out a new bird gun - Page 2

Help SIXTO's wife pick out a new bird gun

This is a discussion on Help SIXTO's wife pick out a new bird gun within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by HotGuns A sweet little shooter is the Rem 1100 "Special Field". Its a straight stock with no pistol grip and holds 4 ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    A sweet little shooter is the Rem 1100 "Special Field".

Its a straight stock with no pistol grip and holds 4 rounds instead of 5. It has a shorter barell...24 inches I think, but handles and balances very well. Looks good too.

One of my favorites, although pretty pricey nowadays. is the Browning Sweet 16,another exellent shooter. Exellent bird and rabbit gun, quick handling and not as big framed as the 12 guages.
    Absolutely a great gun. I've only seen one and bought it immediately (used) from my buddies gun store (12g). It's great for birds, in fact I take two shotguns when I duck hunt. Depending on how the ducks are flying/decoying that day I choose the shotgun most appropriate. It is very effective on decoying ducks. I choose my "special field" on the days when they're decoying good. My son has borrowed it mostly for he and his buddies to shoot clays. He said his buddies abandon their own shotgun and the "special field" makes better shots out of all of them......it's a natural. Great gun for a low price. I don't know if I'll ever get mine back

Regarding gauges, for me.........12 gauge all the way.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

I love the 20 gauge but my personal favorite was my uncle's side X side 16 gauge.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I have a Red Label 12ga... my uncle "borrowed" it last pheasant hunt. I havent seen it since. It is a sweet shooter, but I've becomed spoiled with the nice auto's. I will have to consider a 20ga Red Label though... good suggestion.

Hey, can I borrow a shotgun too...just for the "weekend"

I know you said bird gun, but maybe consider a 12g/.223 over/under for the plain ol' utility. SHTF you can then take a crack at all sorts of game, from a flying bird to a deer or bunny (although I've seen what a .223 does to a bunny, a bit wasteful of meat).
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

W W Greener?

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by cphilip View Post
    W W Greener?
    Huh?

Also through in a Browning Gold in the mix... 12 or 20.
    "Just blame Sixto"

WW Greener

This one is pre-owned and not an auto, but it sure is purrrrty. And, at only around 130,000.00 U.S. dollars, not a bad buy.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Red face Bird gun?

In my humble opinion, if it's a true "bird gun" it should be a side by side. That being said there is only one choice currently available that is American made. The Ruger Gold Label.

When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

Administrator
    Holy cow... I dont think even I can swindle my way into a ww greener. I've didnt even know what one was 30 seconds ago, but now I want one-they sure look purty.

Ya know sgtD, you might be right. I dont have a side by side or even hunted with one. That might be worth considering.
    Plus, isnt there a little Elmer Fudd in all of us?
    "Just blame Sixto"

After using a SXS for cowboy action shooting, I decided to get one for bird hunting. While I agree that the Ruger Gold Label would be a great choice, price may be a problem (expect $3000.00+) and availability would definitely be a problem. I opted for a decent gun that wouldn't break the bank and bought a Stoeger Uplander Supreme. Nice wood with good figure, reliable, and priced right (MSRP just under $500.00).

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Administrator
    The side by side Red Label is 3k!? If it is, its out of the running.

I did stop by Dicks to check out what they had, They had Benelli Silver for 799.00! I was so tempted just to grab it... but something wasnt right... it was just a Franchi stamped Benelli that they made for Dicks to fool the uneducated gun buyer.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I like the Beretta Pigeon O/U's.......in 20ga would be my pref.

Great problem to have though!

Administrator
    I really like the Pigeons too. But I never take the O/U out anymore. I prefer an auto these days.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by cvhoss View Post
    WW Greener

This one is pre-owned and not an auto, but it sure is purrrrty. And, at only around 130,000.00 U.S. dollars, not a bad buy.

Hoss
    Well... I figured he could ask...

They sure are nice. I seen a few moderate level ones going for the 3 grand area. Wish I could afford one but seriously wouldn't be able to enjoy one.

I shoot an H&k Classic Lion sxs for birds most of the time. They run about $1500. CZ also has some really nice side by sides. I have a 20ga CZ bobwhite with a straight stock, case colored reciever and hand engraving. Paid about $700 for that one. It's sweet and light and slim. I carry it if I'm gona be doing a lot of walking, becuase it's real light.

Some people wouldn't like it becuase of the double triggers, but I'm used to them. They make another model with a single trigger, but I don't know the name of it.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

Administrator
    I dont think I'd get out and push brush with one... (13k greener)
    "Just blame Sixto"

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links