Help with Mossberg 500!!!

This is a discussion on Help with Mossberg 500!!! within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I just brought home a used 500a, that I bought from a guy who has had it forever and not used it. It is in ...

I just brought home a used 500a, that I bought from a guy who has had it forever and not used it. It is in great condition, except for that when I just went to load it, it would only take two shells before it was "full". And then I noticed that if I point the barrel straight to the floor, and then straight up to the sky, I can here something move inside. Has anyone had this problem? Do you know what might be loose that is blocking me from loading it, and how I might go about getting to it? I want to try to fix it myself before I go back to where I bought it, being that the guy lives about 2 hours from here. He is a great guy and I know that he didn't sell me something that he knew wasn't functioning properly, so I would like to handle it myself if possible. Any suggestions? I already emailed mossberg...

Sounds like a jammed magazine spring....disassemble as per the owner's manual.

It could be that there's a plug in the magazine tube. If I'm not mistaken, I think you are limited to a 3 round capacity when hunting migratory birds (2 in the mag tube, 1 in the chamber. There are a few good videos on youtube that show how to disassemble the 500a. Hopefully, it's just the plug in the mag tube that you're hearing.

Sounds to me that the small wooden dowel is still in the magazine spring. This is what people call having the "plug" in. Just remove your barrel and you should be able to shake and pull it out then you'll be able to load it to full capacity. Hope that's it. Thanks
    Allen

-"I may get killed with my own gun, but he's gonna have to beat me to death with it, 'cause it's going to be empty." -Clint Smith

Senior Member Array Free American's Avatar
    It IS the plug. Remove the barrel and point your Mossy at the floor. The wooden plug will eventually stick out of the threaded hole. Grab and pull gently. Now just don't use your gun for migratory birds and you're fine.
    They who give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin

Previously known as "cjm5874"

it was. I have had three of these shotguns and have never known about this plug, you can imagine my suprise to take the barrel off and have a stick fall out of the tube!!! thanks for all the help, Randy.

Good deal! Glad it was an easy fix for ya.
    Allen

-"I may get killed with my own gun, but he's gonna have to beat me to death with it, 'cause it's going to be empty." -Clint Smith

Glad it worked out.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Links