Santa brought me an EOTech 512

This is a discussion on Santa brought me an EOTech 512 within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; So I was a good boy this year and Santa brought me an EOTech 512 HWS (Holographic Weapon Sight). Now I have to learn to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Santa brought me an EOTech 512

Senior Member Array Timmy Jimmy's Avatar

Santa brought me an EOTech 512

So I was a good boy this year and Santa brought me an EOTech 512 HWS (Holographic Weapon Sight).

Now I have to learn to use it properly so I have a few questions.

1. Where do I mount it? (by where I mean how far forward or backward on the rail).

As you can see my AR has a flattop, but since this picture was taken I have added Picatinny Forends.

2. Do I remove the MI ERS Rear Flip Sights or leave them on?

So is this the way it should look?

Also for those that have never looked through EOTech sites here is a picture looking through them.

Thanks for your input
    Timmy Jimmy

If it is not in the US Constitution then the Federal Government should not be doing it.

"Carrying a gun is a social responsibility."

2. Remove Ads

I'd say you've got it mounted about right

VIP Member
    Generally, mount them as far forward as is comfortable for you. Keep in mind that your fore end rails may or may not be solidly mounted to the weapon - if they are not, you may experience a slight change in zero over time if you mount your optics on them.

Also, practice looking at the target and not the reticle. The holographic nature of the sight puts the reticle "on" the target - that is, on the same focal plane as the target - and is designed to be used with "target focus" and both eyes open.

Congrats - IMO the EOTech is the best CQB sight out there right now.

ETA -you can get a very good "battle sight zero" by adjusting the dot of the reticle to sit right on the tip of your front sight post when you are looking through your rear sight aperture. And yes, leave your BUIS in place - the EOTech is hardy and has very long battery life, but anything can fail and it's a good idea to have your irons for back up.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Senior Member Array Knuckledrager's Avatar
    Congrats on a popular combat sight! One of the things that I have learned the hard way is the need for marking the mounting knobs. Take a silver pen and draw a line on the mounting bolts/mount. Then you can see at a glance any "backout" that the mounting bolts may be up to. Don't torque more that 15 - 20 in/lbs when you tighten them. If they won't stay tight use a bit of clear nail polish or blue loctite on them. Several of my co-workers have had their 512s depart the rifle under recoil and have needed to loctite them. GGG makes a nifty mount that has a repeatable zero detatchable mount. You may want to give that a look. Stay safe.
    "The liberty of the individual is no gift of civilization. It was greatest before there was any civilization." Sigmund Freud

First thing is to take it off the rail and order the LaRue Tactical ECOS 110 mount for the EOtech series of HWS's.

You'll get more rise and over come the front sight a bit better and you don't have to use that silly allen wrench to get the sight off the rifle should you need to swap out optics.

I use the LaRue ECOS 110 mount with mine and I can mount the Aimpoint 3x magnifier on the rear of the ECOS mount if I use the LaRue "LOW" 162 mount and still bring the optic system close enough to my rear folding battle sight. The EOtech will still be far enough forward to provide easy target acquisition even with the magnifier riding tandem behind. This mounting solution also works for the use of the PVS/14 NV sight. Same mounts from LaRue for the PVS/14.

The only cons to the EOtech 512/552/553 series is the battery life. Although the auto shut off feature helps, it just may in the moment that you need squeeze the trigger. Use the AA Lithium batteries.

Congrats, I think you'll like the 512. It's basically a 552/553 without NV compatiblility. Unless your thinking of porking up $4,000 for an PVS/14, you don't need the NV stuff. It's great sight and you saved your gift giver about $150

HERE: http://stores.homestead.com/Laruetac...pluseotech.jpg
    Perhaps your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others.

Merry Christmas! What an awesome looking sight. Perhaps I can see it firsthand since Texas is in our future now that Da's down there. Catch up with you later!

Senior Moderator
    The EoTech is a very nice sight.

+1 on the Larue mount. Brings the EoTech up just a touch, and has the ability to be removed / replaced and keep zero.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

You did good on your mounting. The 512 is an excellent HWS. You will be happy in the long run.

Senior Member Array Timmy Jimmy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    Generally, mount them as far forward as is comfortable for you. Keep in mind that your fore end rails may or may not be solidly mounted to the weapon - if they are not, you may experience a slight change in zero over time if you mount your optics on them.
    So OPFOR are you saying I should put the EOTech on the Forends if they are good and tight? Mine are Surefire and I think they are very tight.
    Timmy Jimmy

If it is not in the US Constitution then the Federal Government should not be doing it.

"Carrying a gun is a social responsibility."

VIP Member
    Timmy - If it's comfortable for you, then go for it. Farther forward makes it even easier to shoot both-eyes-open, and makes it easier to avoid looking "through" the EOTech as if it's a regular scope (and helps with peripheral vision). In the end, put it where you shoot best and find it to be the most "natural" for you (but experiment a bit first!). The Surefire fore-ends are very good quality and mount very solidly, but I'm not positive that they are the type that mounts without the possibility of any movement (can't remember the term right now... long Christmas). In any case, you should be fine, as any movement will me very minor.

As to the Larue mount - they are no doubt extremely well made pieces of kit, but I personally like to keep my EOTech more or less co-witnessed with my front sight post. This helps in the "battle sight zero" that I described, and (more importantly), allows you to use a dead or broken EOTech as a really BIG rear sight aperture in the case of an emergency. With both eyes open especially, the front sight won’t get in your way too much… Of course, you can always replace the gas block/front sight post with the railed type, and mount a flip-up front sight there to really clear your field of vision.

ETA: I used the same regular AA batteries in my EOTech for a year solid, in combat, and they never died. That was on a 552...
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

OPFOR

The ECOS mount won't lift it up enough to lose the battle sight zero, just that you'll only get the first third of the top of the front sight in your HWS. You'll still keep your zero and visibility if the optic goes out or is damaged.

I cannot suggest strongly enough the use of the ECOS mount. There's more advantages than disadvantages to mounting the EOtech to a mount. At the moment I can remove both the EOtech 512 and the Aimpoint magnifier with only one lever. Both optics are mounted to the ECOS mount even though the magnifier has it's own mount.

I can literally pull of the two piece optic system and mount another optic solution, such a variable powered S&B within seconds, if I have the need.

As for the placement of the sight it's self, yes OPFOR is correct. It's easier for total eye relief if the sight is forward a bit, but I'm not a fan of having on the barrel for obvious reasons though I have seen guy's with them mounted all the way down to the front sight.

Tim, the Surfire M73 rail system is pretty strong, but you might lose zero eventually if you remove the optic often enough. It's all personal preference.

VIP Member
    OK, thanks Skygod. I've never used the Larue mount for the EOTech, but I am a fan of their stuff in general. If I get the 3x magnifier (and there's a VERY good chance of it in the near future - my time in Brazil is coming to an end and I'm pretty sure there's a desert in my future), it sounds like that's the way to go. Thanks for the info.

Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    OK, thanks Skygod. I've never used the Larue mount for the EOTech, but I am a fan of their stuff in general. If I get the 3x magnifier (and there's a VERY good chance of it in the near future - my time in Brazil is coming to an end and I'm pretty sure there's a desert in my future), it sounds like that's the way to go. Thanks for the info.
    I'd even stronger sugges that you purchase the LaRue Pivot mount for the Aimpoint 3x magnifier. You can get them both in "High" and "low" rise. If your running an Aimpoint on a Cantilever style mount then you'd want the "High" If your running the EOtech on the rail or the ECOS mount you can get the "Low' Pivot mount.

With the pivot mount all you have to do is reach up and pull on the magnifier rearward and it pivots down to the right side of the weapon just over the brass deflector. This is about as easy as it gets if you want both magnification and a CCO solution. It beats having an ACOG and J Point or Doctor on top of the ACOG. I don't like having to raise up my head to get to the Doctor where using the pivot mount with the magnifier gives you complet control of both close work and intemediate work.

Just my .02

HERE:http://www.laruetactical.com/pics/Pi...pivotonly.html

Unreal...

Pretty sure Santa mistakingly delivered that to you instead of me cause the one I wanted was not under the tree.

Feel free to IM me for my address so you can get that out to it's rightful owner. ;)
    If you can read this, thank a teacher; if you are reading it in English, thank a soldier.

VIP Member
    Skygod - So, the Aimpoint 3x mag will be perfectly co-witnessed with the EOTech if the former is mounted in a LT649-30 and the latter is on an LT-110? Sounds like a nice set up, if it works that way... Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links