Sig 556 -VS- AR15

This is a discussion on Sig 556 -VS- AR15 within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; AR-Handsdown. I love Sig products. But not overly impressed with the SIG. AR-is 10 times more modular than a 556. I have a AR that ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 29 of 29

Thread: Sig 556 -VS- AR15

  1. #16
    VIP Member Array Rob99VMI04's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Posts
    3,227
    AR-Handsdown. I love Sig products. But not overly impressed with the SIG.

    AR-is 10 times more modular than a 556. I have a AR that has a 7.62 upper on it, and changes out with a spare 5.56 upper.

    Can't do that with a 556 just from pushing two pins. Also the the SIG's registered part is upper. Therefor its probably going to be very costly to make a SBR. However, it would BE BAD A$$ looking.

    The 556 that we have at work we mounted a AAC can on the front. Maybe the gas system isn't set properly but GLASSES ARE MANDATORY. If your a south Paw Its just exects fouling right into the users face. AR's do as well but not the extreme that the 556 does. Its almost to the point where its unbearable.

    AR Pros
    More Modular than a 556
    parts are readily available.
    Wheren't the Sigs initially recalled? I don't expect this from Sig expecially on a "Proven" design simiilar to the 550 series.
    Manual of arms is I think similiar and can be done faster if you only have one hand available.
    I don't know i'm not ready to drink the koolaid on the 556; however, poor me the green kool aid for the Magpul Masada.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

    Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

  2. Remove Ads

  3. #17
    Senior Member Array Duisburg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Duisburg, Germany
    Posts
    754
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob99VMI04 View Post
    AR Pros
    More Modular than a 556
    parts are readily available.
    Well AR's are modular, no one said otherwise but I love the idea of having a 223, semi-auto, full length barrel gun with this type of gas system, ergonomics and Sig Reliability.

    Honestly, I might be the only person in the world who thinks like this, but I do not need M4gery Delta AR with lasers, flashlights, front vertical grip, sopmod stock or an infinite array of... everything.

    I will buy this SIG 556 because it does not need modifications or modularity. and if I want a 308 on and AR I'll buy a AR-10 which is a dedicated 308
    I am sworn to protect the Constitution of the U.S.A. from all threats both foreign and domestic.

  4. #18
    VIP Member Array Rob99VMI04's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Posts
    3,227
    Quote Originally Posted by Duisburg View Post
    Well AR's are modular, no one said otherwise but I love the idea of having a 223, semi-auto, full length barrel gun with this type of gas system, ergonomics and Sig Reliability.

    Honestly, I might be the only person in the world who thinks like this, but I do not need M4gery Delta AR with lasers, flashlights, front vertical grip, sopmod stock or an infinite array of... everything.

    I will buy this SIG 556 because it does not need modifications or modularity. and if I want a 308 on and AR I'll buy a AR-10 which is a dedicated 308
    I ment 7.62x39 not 51

    On any gun board Want takes over need. And when your gun has sex appeal thats in the want catagory. I think the original posters intent was to get opinions. I gave mine.

    The whole point is that the SIG 556 doesn't do anything better than an AR. However, "Better" is relative. Does it have better COOL factor then a run of the mill AR. Absolulty its made by SIG SAUER a German company, and everybody has and AR right? Germans are cool and known for putting along of time in engineering, and making things that are really expensive or seem so that way anyway.

    As far as functionality and usability I think the AR has it. Many people say you have to have a Piston gun.What the AR lacks in its gas system it makes up in, Ergonomics, user friendliness weight and the lack of recoil. UMMM I don't think the average shooter shoots a gun enough in his/her life time to blow out the gas tube an AR if an individual does. How much does a AR gas tube cost? umm $5. The AR is lighter and has the ability to add more "STUFF".
    They both are cool guns don't get me wrong. But saying your going to buy the gun because it "dosn't need" modifications is like saying your going to buy your last gun. Somehow I think that your going to hang an Eo,Aimpoint, ACOG etc....then add a V-Grip, then add a pentagon/surefire/blackhawk light etc...... then when the 55x series folding stocks are easily found along with the diopeter sights you won't stop there oo no no no.......

    Just like you prefer the SIG over the AR because its got cool CDI (Chicks Dig It) many people like the AR because you can turn it into something with high CDI.

    PS if I want a Piston driven gun. I'll go LWRC.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

    Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

  5. #19
    Member Array GotSig?'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Pinellas Park, FL
    Posts
    474
    Talk to Tactical Response about Piston driven ARs, not one has made it through the 5 day contractor class without major issues. If you want a gas piston, get something that was designed with a gas piston from the beginning, not something that was shoehorned on as an afterthought. AR's are good but there are much better weapons out there.
    كافر(Infidel)
    He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.
    Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil, Aphorism 146
    German philosopher (1844 - 1900)

  6. #20
    VIP Member Array Rob99VMI04's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Posts
    3,227
    Quote Originally Posted by GotSig? View Post
    Talk to Tactical Response about Piston driven ARs, not one has made it through the 5 day contractor class without major issues. If you want a gas piston, get something that was designed with a gas piston from the beginning, not something that was shoehorned on as an afterthought. AR's are good but there are much better weapons out there.
    Wheren't the Sig 556's initially recalled?
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

    Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

  7. #21
    VIP Member Array Supertac45's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Michigan's U.P.
    Posts
    3,657
    Nice rifle.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

  8. #22
    VIP Member
    Array OPFOR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Nomad
    Posts
    4,713
    I would love to love the Sig (because, well, I really like Sigs!), but I just can't in this case. Admittedly, I've yet to shoot the 556, but there just doesn't seem to be much of an upside to it vs. the AR. Of course, it helps that I don't believe the hype about the "unreliable" direct gas system anyway, all it's ever meant to me was a lighter, easier recoiling weapon that is a pain in the butt to clean!

    Now, if Sig simply made an AR, I'd probably be all over it!
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

  9. #23
    Member Array phaed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Fort Huachuca, AZ
    Posts
    453
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob99VMI04 View Post
    Wheren't the Sig 556's initially recalled?
    nope. there was an issue with some of the 1st run rifles (canted rail). you could send it back to SIG and they'd fix it *if* you had the issue. there was no general recall.
    War is not the ugliest of things. Worse is the decayed state of moral feeling which thinks nothing is worth a war. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which he cares for more than his personal safety, is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free. -J.S. Mill

  10. #24
    Member Array phaed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Fort Huachuca, AZ
    Posts
    453
    Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    I would love to love the Sig (because, well, I really like Sigs!), but I just can't in this case. Admittedly, I've yet to shoot the 556, but there just doesn't seem to be much of an upside to it vs. the AR. Of course, it helps that I don't believe the hype about the "unreliable" direct gas system anyway, all it's ever meant to me was a lighter, easier recoiling weapon that is a pain in the butt to clean!

    Now, if Sig simply made an AR, I'd probably be all over it!
    you should shoot and take apart a 556 if you get a chance. the AR is not "easier recoiling" than this weapon. it's not that much heavier than some AR builds, but the weight distribution is farther forward (good thing imo). and, i can't see how your AR being harder to clean makes it better.
    War is not the ugliest of things. Worse is the decayed state of moral feeling which thinks nothing is worth a war. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which he cares for more than his personal safety, is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free. -J.S. Mill

  11. #25
    VIP Member
    Array OPFOR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Nomad
    Posts
    4,713
    No, harder to clean isn't better! Especially when I was in the OPFOR, firing thousands of blanks a month - talk about DIRTY! I was just saying that this dirtiness was the only real down side I've noticed.

    I disagree, however, that weight farther forward on a rifle like this is a good thing. In my experience, it makes the weapon slower to transition from target to target, and increases the tendency to "overswing." I already have at least a light on the fore end of any serious rifle (and often more), I don't need any more weight out there.

    The recoil thing, is, of course, mostly subjective. I'm basing this on the fact that, all other things being equal, less mass moving backwards (just bolt carrier) will be easier to control than more mass moving backwards (bolt carrier and piston). It's a minor point, certainly, but there it is.

    Again, I want to like the Sig. I just don't think it offers any real advantages over the AR (and I have the same feelings about the G36 carbines I got to shoot recently - nice, super sexy, very well built, but not revolutionary enough to move me from a platform I am intimately familiar with and trust implicitly).
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

  12. #26
    Member Array GotSig?'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Pinellas Park, FL
    Posts
    474
    Yeah over a canted rail, not a functional issue. I don't want this to turn into a LWRC vs. 556 ******* match so ill end this here. I did get my TA33R-8 on the other hand, this scope is amazing. I have to wait until next week to be able to shoot it, it sucks.


    كافر(Infidel)
    He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.
    Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil, Aphorism 146
    German philosopher (1844 - 1900)

  13. #27
    Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Vancouver, Canada
    Posts
    1,863
    Quote Originally Posted by phaed View Post
    you should shoot and take apart a 556 if you get a chance. the AR is not "easier recoiling" than this weapon. it's not that much heavier than some AR builds, but the weight distribution is farther forward (good thing imo). and, i can't see how your AR being harder to clean makes it better.
    Fired the Sig and the AR am still awaiting the recoil, I cut my teeth on .303's and 7.62 FN's. Anything in 5.56 has no recoil to speak of, unless you are about 110lbs soaking wet.

  14. #28
    Member Array phaed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Fort Huachuca, AZ
    Posts
    453
    In my experience, it makes the weapon slower to transition from target to target, and increases the tendency to "overswing."
    it does make it slower. also makes it more difficult to carry at the ready for longer. i admit it probably makes it less than ideal as a CQ /MOUT weapon because of that, and it's length.

    on the other hand, at least to me, it makes it more accurate. the slowness can be overcome by increasing upper body strength. but you can only improve steadiness by relaxing so much. it also reduces muzzle flip because of the larger moment arm...not that they flip much, as colin pointed out, but there is still some. makes it a good field rifle imo.

    as for the lower mass of the carrier/bolt...i'd be suprised if the sig's weighed more. it's pretty small. it'd be interesting to weigh them.
    War is not the ugliest of things. Worse is the decayed state of moral feeling which thinks nothing is worth a war. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which he cares for more than his personal safety, is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free. -J.S. Mill

  15. #29
    VIP Member
    Array OPFOR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Nomad
    Posts
    4,713
    Colin - We're not talking 'punishing' recoil here, just the movement of the weapon when it's fired. Personally, I like to shoot anything that needs shootin' more than once - I can do this very efficiently with the AR.

    Phaed - I acknowledge that there are benefits to a heavier fore end, but for me they don't outweigh the costs...
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. New S&W M&P AR15
    By Devil Doc in forum Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: February 19th, 2010, 08:49 AM
  2. Well got me an AR15 @ last.
    By Frogbones in forum Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: December 26th, 2009, 12:17 AM
  3. 9mm AR15 - how well do they run?
    By Shizzlemah in forum Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: June 19th, 2008, 07:20 PM
  4. If you own a M4 ~ AR15
    By kittensrtasty in forum Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: July 6th, 2006, 10:53 AM
  5. I came here from AR15.com
    By Gargoyle in forum New Members Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: December 24th, 2004, 04:29 AM

Search tags for this page

ar 15 vs sig sauer 556
,
ar15
,
bushmaster vs sig 556
,
bushmaster vs sig sauer
,
sig 556 bolt
,

sig 556 vs ar 15

,

sig 556 vs ar15

,

sig sauer 556 vs ar 15

,

sig sauer 556 vs ar15

,
sig sauer 556 vs colt ar 15
,

sig sauer vs bushmaster

,
sig vs bushmaster
Click on a term to search for related topics.