Sig 556 -VS- AR15

Sig 556 -VS- AR15

This is a discussion on Sig 556 -VS- AR15 within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm thinking about horse trading for another EBR. Went be on recon today and lusted after a Bushmaster XM15, collapsible stock, railed hand guards, nice. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sig 556 -VS- AR15

Sig 556 -VS- AR15

I'm thinking about horse trading for another EBR. Went be on recon today and lusted after a Bushmaster XM15, collapsible stock, railed hand guards, nice.
    Then my eyes fell upon a (unknown to me) used Sig 556. Felt NICE in hand, pointed up a bit better than the AR, had the collapsible stock, no sights though. The Bushy had flip up sights on the top rail.
    If I would have known it was used the guy next to me would have been...peed off at me to snatching it up...saving myself about 200.00 from the cost of a new one.

Oh...decisions, decisions decisions.
    The AR manual of arms isn't THAT much different with the Sig..is it? Looked like it broke down basically the same way.
    The sig is about 300 more than the Bushy...but...it's a Sig. If it's ANYTHING like the handguns...it's worth a bit more.

Whatta you think?
    "If I was an extremist, our founding fathers would all be extremists," he said. "Without them, we wouldn't have our independence. We'd be a disarmed British system of feudal subjectivity."

i'm a 556 owner, and a soldier, so i'm familiar with both.

the sig is easier to clean, and is every bit as accurate. it feels a bit different when firing, and the manual of arms is different, since there's no charging handle comin out the back. the inards are different as well. the bolts are very different, there is no rear buffer/spring, the gas tube is large and easy to take apart.

the charging handle on the 556 is a pain if you use an eotech, and you'll want to replace the front reciever screw with a pin, to make it take apart like an AR.
    War is not the ugliest of things. Worse is the decayed state of moral feeling which thinks nothing is worth a war. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which he cares for more than his personal safety, is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free. -J.S. Mill

Administrator
    I like the 556, but I also am a big fan of common guns for common parts when choosing a battle rifle. I'd buy the AR, unless you already have one and want a toy that is a little different.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by dunndw View Post
    Then my eyes fell upon a (unknown to me) used Sig 556. Felt NICE in hand, pointed up a bit better than the AR, had the collapsible stock, no sights though.

Whatta you think?
    The only thing that would bother me a little is the fact that it is used. The 556 hasn't been out that long.

Having said that, I'm sort of "lusting" after one even though I haven't had a chance to actually handle one yet.

As for the lack of sights, that was one of the biggest early complaints I saw over on SIGForum. The other was early problems with rail the sights would mount to.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

BAC
    These might be helpful topics for you.

SIGForum is a great place for knowledge about Sig pistols, don't get me wrong, but when it comes to rifles this topic is no less than a monthly one. So far as I've been able to tell, the 556 is not to rifles what the P series is to handguns. My own experience aligns itself with this, but the rifle may have changed since its first debut.

-B

I went with the 556 over an AR, its a really gussied up AK deep down and im my opinion the AK is a more robust and forgiving weapon.

And its just sexy:

I have an TA33R-8 ACOG on its way, should be here next week.

And heres a crappy picture of an AK bolt on the left and a 556 bolt on the right:
    كافر(Infidel)
    He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.
    Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil, Aphorism 146
    German philosopher (1844 - 1900)

Quote Originally Posted by GotSig? View Post
    I went with the 556 over an AR, its a really gussied up AK deep down and im my opinion the AK is a more robust and forgiving weapon.

GotSig? : please, PLEASE tell me how the gas system of the 556 compares and contrasts to the AK and AR. I love your pictures comparing the bolts and boltcarriers between the 556 and the AK! I want to know about the gas system in its entirety. Long stroke, short stroke, delayed, roller, etcetera.
    I am sworn to protect the Constitution of the U.S.A. from all threats both foreign and domestic.

Give me a second and ill strip both down and take pictures. They are basically the same thing, both are long stroke gas pistons.
    كافر(Infidel)
    He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Ok i found out why the pics were crappy, there was a smudge on the lens.

AK on top, Sig on the bottom:

The Sig breaks down into 2 pieces, the gas piston comes out the front and the bolt carrier comes out the rear, unlike the ak where everything comes out the rear. The recoil spring is also on the gas piston, instead on on its proprietary recoil rod assembly in the AK, basically removing one moving part from the equation.
    كافر(Infidel)

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    Just fired one the other night, nice rifles but pricey up here. the nice thing is that they are not restricted by name like the AR is for us. (Restricted means they can only be shot at the range) The sig rifles can be carried in the bush.

Thats how the operating system breaks down into 4 peices, the gas piston, the charging handle, the bolt and bolt carrier.
    View down the receiver, you can see the beefy feedramp and the gas tube from the bolt carrier side:
    كافر(Infidel)

Quote Originally Posted by GotSig? View Post
    The Sig breaks down into 2 pieces, the gas piston comes out the front and the bolt carrier comes out the rear, unlike the ak where everything comes out the rear. The recoil spring is also on the gas piston, instead on on its proprietary recoil rod assembly in the AK, basically removing one moving part from the equation.

My god... I am going to skip the AR and go straight to the SIG 556, it looks like the best of both worlds! I'm on! thankyou so very much for the pictures!!!

please do tell me how much it cost you, any complaints about it or simply something small that you do not like about it
    I am sworn to protect the Constitution of the U.S.A. from all threats both foreign and domestic.

No problem, i did the same thing skipped the AR and bought a Sig. I will eventually get an AR, a Colt 6920, but i need alot more mags and ammo before i can justify another rifle.
    كافر(Infidel)

There is such thing as a used 556?
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Quote Originally Posted by Duisburg View Post
    please do tell me how much it cost you, any complaints about it or simply something small that you do not like about it
    $1200 is the average going rate for the "Optics Ready" model. The Sig emergency sights are ok for emergency work but suck as stand alone sights. You end up paying about $100 bucks more for the sights. Stay away from the HoloSight model, the red dot is HORRIBLE, so bascially you can go for the Optics ready and get your own sights/optics or get the Swat if you want a quadrail with the Swiss emergency sights.

I got the optics ready because i did some research and decided i rather set the rifle up the way i want it. Sampson makes a AR style front flip specifically for the 556.http://www.samson-mfg.com/mm5/mercha...56_Accessories

The stock Sig front flip up sight is not the right height for use with AR BUIS sights so you stuck with whats on the rifle.

Honestly the only thing i don't like is the Front receiver pin, its a twin screw deal thats kinda pain to get apart. Aurora makes a front push pin for it, its $20 bucks and makes the breakdown alot easier, you just push the pin out like an AR.
    كافر(Infidel)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links