AR or AK

This is a discussion on AR or AK within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Wonderin' about a carbine for around the house. Rural setting. PD is about an hour away. No particular threat, no big fear of zombies swarming. ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: AR or AK

Question AR or AK

Wonderin' about a carbine for around the house.

Rural setting. PD is about an hour away. No particular threat, no big fear of zombies swarming. Occasional coyote or moose (moose is beyond the scope of this post!!)

I've got it narrowed down to either a .223 AR w/telescoping stock, 16"bbl and night sights or 7.62x39 AK, 16"bbl, thumbhole.
    I'm pretty familiar with both platforms, comfortable tearing either one down blindfolded.

Here's my scorecard

AR:
    I like the ergonomics / handling better.
    Safety & mag release are much nicer than the AK.
    Night sights help. Adjustable sights are nice maybe not needed.

AK:
    I think the 7.62x39 cartride is better than the .223 for use under 100 yards.

.223 AR or 7.62 AK ? Which would you prefer ? Why ? Ammo preferences ?

2. Remove Ads

I have an ar-15 ,223 as an around the house. I'm much more comfortable with it and I've just had an easier time finding accessories it. flashlight w/strobe, laser etc.

I've got 30rds of Hornady TAP ammo in it right now.
    "I no longer list firearms I own as a signature. Why give them another list to use when they come to get them?"

Rural setting. PD is about an hour away. No particular threat, no big fear of zombies swarming. Occasional coyote or moose (moose is beyond the scope of this post!!)

I've got it narrowed down to either a .223 AR w/telescoping stock, 16"bbl and night sights or 7.62x39 AK, 16"bbl, thumbhole.
    I'm pretty familiar with both platforms, comfortable tearing either one down blindfolded.
    Rural setting? Sounds like you'll be the county SWAT team! LOL I think both would be good choices within the amenities you've stated. I am asking myself why you'd go with a 16" AR instead of the 20", and a collapsible stock? You're rural thinking of urban from my point of view. If it were the AR, I'd go for the 5.56mm NATO where you could shoot both, and 20" if you might see a shot over 100 yds. Cleanliness is necessary for the AR to function well. And while it might see some dirt, and hay straw, the AK is more at home in that setting. IMO, both are almost equal in deterrent effects, but if I were someone in your front yard that was unwelcomed---I'd bow to the AK in a second, where I might turn and run from your AR. For car bodies and light armor, both have surplus or factory steel core ammo available. For the pesky varmints on the property, go with the AR. If you are expecting lost souls to find their way to you before the Almighty, go with the AK. I can't really be objective about it as I have both, but would select the best according to the situation. I'm more familiar with the AR myself. Ammo costs and availability should be about equal. I'd use SP or HP in either.
    Bushmaster M4 A3

Arsenal SLR-95

The trio, (a good team). Savage 110FP center with S.A. scope, action bedded in B&C stock courtesy of Aurora Tactical.

BAC
    AR versus AK, 1911 versus Glock, 45 versus 9mm...

Did I miss any?

The forum area is called "Defensive Rifles and Shotgun Discussion." You are selecting a rifle for defensive use, correct? Perhaps instead of explaining what you like about either of your choices (we all have opinions and preferences), present the qualities of either rifle that you feel make it a worthwhile defensive rifle. That way we can actually have a discussion, and the community can help you clarify your needs and expand on technical details of those qualifications so you can make the final decision based on your own decision-making skills and not by popular vote.

-B

Geez! I tried to answer that tactfully. Give a guy a break will ya? I'll buy you a beer if it would help.? I don't think he was trying to elicit any arguments myself.
    Which would you prefer ?
    Who's asking for a ******* match? Personally I prefer both! Just do your best to answer, or find a thread that's already arguing. You'll fit in better there.
    (edit) for edit--no I didn't copy it--you're on your own. Your welcome

VIP Member
    The AR is infinitely more "customizable," you're already familiar (and comfortable) with the manual of arms, and in a non-incredibly filthy/dirty/neglected situation the AR is every bit as reliable as the AK... Why is this even a question?

The only, only, only thing the AK has over the AR is price. If that's not a major factor, ditch the peasant fodder and get the AR.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

BAC
    Eh, I did come across a bit off-color there. My apologies, and please let me clarify my statement.

The purpose of the thread is to help the original poster to determine which rifle is best for his "around the house", presumably defensive, use. It would only behoove us, then, to find out what he feels makes his specific choices good ones for such use. Listing likes and dislikes isn't counter-productive, but it isn't really relevant beyond establishing personal preference. My point is that the best way to help the original poster is for him to determine what qualities he feels each rifle has that makes it suitable for his designated goal. Ultimately, the decision is his alone, but by outlining fairly specific qualities of an "around the house" rifle we can have a technical discussion instead of an opinionated discussion.

Opinions are perfectly fine to have, but I'm assuming this is a rifle that will fill a defensive purpose; put bluntly, he's staking his life on it, should he ever need it. Isn't it better, then, to engage in discussion of qualities for its intended purpose instead of a simple popularity contest?

-B

Agreed
    (edit)--see (edit) concerning edit.

My ideal long-arms defensive collection is an AR-15A and a Remington Police Special 870. Both awesome defensive/offensive weapons. I had to handle and qualify with the AK years ago...what an awkward cheap rifle it is!

Huh ? Yeah I gave some points indicating which way I was leaning. I asked "which and why" - the why would generate some discussion, no ? Hoping to see some input on things that I haven't considered.

Ramrod,
    I'm not setting out to be the county swat team. Just keeping bases covered.
    Occasional coyote / bump in the night etc.

20"bbl is ovekill for anything in this area. There are no shots over 100yds, the woods are just that thick! IMHO the shorter barrel tends to balance better with the light telestock. Plus, the short barrel can break down and easily fit in my backpack, just in case it's time to bug somewhere.
    Although I did spend years behind a 20" HBAR shooting the 600yd course. Superb accuracy, and amazing rifle (all 17 lbs of it!!!)

I think I'd love an AR chambered in 7.62x39, but I've got enough oddball crossbred stuff to deal with :-)

Is .223 less effective at stopping 2-legged zombies than 7.62x39? I've loaded plenty of .223 for 4-legged critters but wouldn't want to try that for SD.

ETA:
    1) cost isn't a concern AR vs AK. Assume both arms are the same price.
    2) I always have a handgun within reach, a rifile would just augment that. If I had a need for a firearm and had 2 seconds to get my thoughts together, I'd like to have a rifle handy. Unknown truck in the drive, someone on the property, etc.

I hear ya. It's down to shot placement then, and which is more controllable for you. In light of updated information--I'd go with the heavier bullet.

VIP Member
    This is an AK Fan talking:
    Heavy woods, you are going to carry it and want the heavier bullet?
    Go with an AR in 6.8mm SPC and you should get the best of both worlds.
    Check for ammo availability or enjoy the fun of reloading
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

well lfor rural settings and animals i'd recommend the AK. The caliber is a great brush bullet (better than the 223) and the gun can be a beater truck gun
    I am sworn to protect the Constitution of the U.S.A. from all threats both foreign and domestic.

How about an AR/M-4 in either 6.8 SPC or 6.5 Grendel? Sort of splits the difference between the bullets in weight and diameter. Either one would give you better distance than the AK in 7.62 X 39 and either one would give you the platform of the AR/M-4 you like. Just a thought.
    Imagine that you're an enemy soldier and you are surrounded by U.S. Army paratroopers on one side and American marines on the other side... Talk about a hopeless situation... That has got to be legal grounds for suicide!

The most simple answer is both. For me the biggest factor is price, a good AK costs around $500 and a good AR will cost over $1000.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links