.223 drawbacks for home / ranch gun ?

This is a discussion on .223 drawbacks for home / ranch gun ? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Ok guys I screwed up the last thread and overcomplicated things. I am selecting a rifle for 95% home defense, 4% cotoye removal around the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .223 drawbacks for home / ranch gun ?

Ok guys I screwed up the last thread and overcomplicated things.

I am selecting a rifle for 95% home defense, 4% cotoye removal around the house, and 1% SHTF bug out gun. I have found something that I really like, chambered in .223.

The 223 is great for coyote & SHTF, but is the .223 at a big disadvantage for home defense of the 2-legged type. This is a rural area and overpenetration is not a concern.

Edit to add:
    This will be in addition to a handgun.

With the right ammo its a great home defense load, check out the Hornady TAP ammo is a grain weight appropriate for the rifles twist rate.
    كافر(Infidel)
    He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.
    Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil, Aphorism 146
    German philosopher (1844 - 1900)

Over-penetration would be an issue if there's family in the house. The only thing about rifles in the home defense scenario for me are they are simply 'long' and sometimes unwieldy for hallways and adjoining room doorways. You can't actually identify a BG or 'target' THROUGH a wall, and the muzzle of the weapon is going ahead of you by at least a foot and a half. On the other hand, if you bunker down in your 'safe room' that has only one entrance, and wait for the BG to come to you----then the rifle would be an excellent choice. The AR system is quite modular, and there are also pistol variations on the design. Other than what's been mentioned, the AR-15 in 5.56(if you'd like to use surplus ammo)/.223, there would be no more downsides IMO. I think it would be your best choice for the outdoor activities you've suggested.

Administrator
    The only downside to a 223 I can figure is the noise if shot indoors. It hurts.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    It does get extremely loud when fired indoors without hearing protection, although any rifle caliber used for defense would be, as would any type of shotgun.

It's what the government gives its employees to use against two legged critters, should work for you.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

BAC
    Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Over-penetration would be an issue if there's family in the house. The only thing about rifles in the home defense scenario for me are they are simply 'long' and sometimes unwieldy for hallways and adjoining room doorways. You can't actually identify a BG or 'target' THROUGH a wall, and the muzzle of the weapon is going ahead of you by at least a foot and a half.
    I swear the first thought that came to mind when reading that was "Get a P90!"

Agreed. I can't imagine in the situation you'd use it in for self-defense you'd have much time to grab hearing protection, either, and being deaf after the first couple shots doesn't sound so appealing to me.

-B

Yeah really loud....that's why I have my shotgun for HD. I know its loud too, but the blast isn't even close to the .223/5.56

Austin

Administrator
    223 is a lot sharper report than a shotgun or pistol.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    I use a .223 as a ranch/hd rifle a lot . It is hard to beat in the ranch rifle role for up to and including coyote sized vermin . Honestly were i further south , and with a hog problem i most likely would go heavier tho . In the home defense role i think it is fine with the cravat that mine is an ar platform , and i will treat it like a pistol in the sense i will " shoot them down " using multiple rounds without hesitation . In the hd role if your looking for a " one shot stopper " then likely the .223 is a bad choice , but if you treat it like an oversized easily aimed pistol it is a fine choice . Just my take on things , ymmv .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

223 is a lot sharper report than a shotgun or pistol.
    That indeed comes with the speed of the projectile. Indoors on in an enclosed space, car, home, room-------even with the pistol, you are going to be temporarily deaf----the perceived pain level of the initial shock wave will be greater with the higher velocity, and hence affect your subsequent actions. At these times--one is surviving on basic instincts--much like the 'tunnel vision' one has when focusing on the intended threat. (I've been there more than once, and quite frankly--the sensory perception still amazes me). The human reaction of adrenaline injection is still something modern day science can't define. It's still one of those untouchable, customized, personal things that nobody can predict.

Administrator
    What you’re getting at Ram Rod is called auditory exclusion. It’s when your body shuts down your hearing because your focus and senses are overwhelmed else where.
    Even though the sound might not register in our noggins, doesn’t mean the decibels are not there. Your ears will suffer damage, and your ears will be ringing well after the dust settles and smoke clears.
    "Just blame Sixto"

That's called a 'hang-over'. And yes--I'll identify with your terms. At least one could LIVE after damage to the ears, even if irreparable.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    That's called a 'hang-over'. And yes--I'll identify with your terms. At least one could LIVE after damage to the ears, even if irreparable.
    Yup. "hang-over", lol, I havent heard it called that in a long time.
    I have some hearing loss from this exact thing, but here I am typing about it...
    "Just blame Sixto"

I think that .223 for a "one shot stopper" is a fine choice. Especially with a soft point or the like.

i have pictures from a recent deer hunt where I killed a medium deer with a .223 Black Hills 55 grain soft point. I have never in my life seen the damage to meat that this bullet did. I am glad my wife got me a 30-30 for next years hunt.

Over-penetration would be an issue if there's family in the house.
    Only if they aren't behind me :-)

Ive only done a little research on newflangled .223 ammo, looks like there are several that are almost franginble. Hornady TAP/personal looks that way, lots different from the TAP/LE. I'll need to get up to speed on what is out ther. For the past 15 years, all of my 223 has been handloads. Not sure I'd want to try 40gr/3500FPS on a BG :-)

Looks like there will be some wetpack testing in the near future. I'll be sure to post some pics!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links