Eye Dominance and Rifles

Eye Dominance and Rifles

This is a discussion on Eye Dominance and Rifles within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I am right handed and left eye dominant. This is not an issue with handguns because I shoot with both eyes open. It is also ...

Thread: Eye Dominance and Rifles

Eye Dominance and Rifles

I am right handed and left eye dominant. This is not an issue with handguns because I shoot with both eyes open. It is also not an issue with my hunting rifle because it has a scope on it.

When I shoot the Bushmaster M4 at work, I shoot righty and close my left eye. But we only shoot out to 25 yards. If I go out to 50 yards my right eye does not focus well on the target. My left eye has much better vision in addition to being my dominant eye.

I am wondering if I should try to shoot long guns left handed. I have done it, but it is not as comfortable.

Does anyone else have this issue?
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

I do not have the issue, however I can tell you that the Marines train recruits to shoot based off eye dominance FWIW.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

I am left eye dominant and shoot long guns left handed. I shoot pistols equally between the two hands.
    Lex et Libertas Semper Vigilo, Fortis, Paratus, et Fidelis!

"Not only do the people who put their lives on the line to protect the rest of us deserve better, we all deserve better than to have our own security undermined by those who undermine law enforcement." -Thomas Sowell

Senior Moderator
    Try it.

It'll take some practice, but you need to shoot with the dominate eye.

I shoot unscoped rifles like shotguns...both eyes open. That allows the dominate eye to take over and your results will be better...especially on a moving target.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Im right handed and slightly left eye dominant. I shot pistols using my left eye but rifle right eye. I only have issues with AK style sights, i have to squint my left eye to make that work, with AR's or anything that has a ghost ring style sight i have no issues.

Go to the range and put some scotch tape over your left eye shooting glasses and try shooting your AR with both eyes open.
    كافر(Infidel)
    He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.
    Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil, Aphorism 146
    German philosopher (1844 - 1900)

I have a friend like that. He actually leans his head over more to use his left eye for shooting. I don't bother him much about it, and it seems to work for him, but I always think to myself that it must be a pain in the neck for him to do, He has shot my AR-15, but when he does, I make sure the carry handle is attached, and I put on the cheap Leapers scope. The height of the line of sight is now much better for him, but for me, it doesn't yield the perfect cheek-weld on the stock. I also have a Red Dot sight that can be attached atop the carry handle that works decent for me because it has a large diameter. As for the flat top scope scenario, one might try this, but likely a scope would need to be moved forward as using the opposite eye would decrease the eye relief for the right hand/eye setup. I am right dominant throughout, but seem to be able to shoot a pistol either way with minor issues of crossedeyedness (new word invented by me), at close ranges. I have practiced extensively using weak hand/weak eye shooting and target acquisition. I don't want to cant my pistol from my left hand in line with my right eye. Parallax views are in the mind, and can be overcome with practice. Sometimes it can drive one nuts too. Good luck nailing down your issues.

Beware. My brother still has a scar on his right hand from the slide ejection of my Dad's shotgun.
    My brother had and still has the same issue.

I was the same way....left eye was better than my right. I'm right handed, but I learned to shoot rifles left handed so I could use my good eye. I still shoot pistols/handguns right handed. Recently I had laser eye surgery and now I'm going to give right handed shooting a try with a rifle....

Austin

I have the same thing. A few choices for you:

1) Shoot left handed
    2) Get an eye patch and put it over your left eye when you shoot.
    2a) Use the eye patch when people won't look at you funny (like when you read or surf the web from home). This will help make your right eye more dominate.

The above has helped me.

There are many good suggestions here. Thank you all for responding. I'm thinking that I will practice more left handed rifle shooting. If the vision in my right eye was better, I wouldn't have an issue. I'm going to need to do more shooting from the 50 yard line where my right eye doesn't pick up the target very well.

I'll let you all know how it goes. Thanks again.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

+1 on the eye patch idea.

SY

Sponsored Links