Ordering guns online.

This is a discussion on Ordering guns online. within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I've been looking into picking up an AR15. I know if I order off the internet, I have to have it shipped to a local ...

Thread: Ordering guns online.

Ordering guns online.

I've been looking into picking up an AR15. I know if I order off the internet, I have to have it shipped to a local dealer. How much can I usually expect to tack on to the online price. Is their a "standard" acceptable rate for this, or does it just depend on how well I know my guy? I currently can't find much locally for under a grand. There are some pretty good deals on the net, but that's without adding on the dealer's cut. There is a gun show coming to town, but it's like 2 months off and I'm impatient. Also I got the impression that if you put the gun together yourself, you only have to have the lower receiver shipped to the dealer. Is that accurate. If so, is that a way to save cash? Sorry, I'm just new to this. I'm not trying to be cheap, I just want more money for scopes, lights, and ammo. Any info would be helpful. Thanks.

2. Remove Ads

On the net you'll have to add in for shipping (unless it's included) and an FFL transfer fee - usually between $15 and $40. My local guy charges $25. If its a sale within your home state, you will also have to add sales tax.
    A lower receiver is the only thing you have to have an FFL transfer for - nothing else is considered a weapon. So if you're paying sales tax, or anything other kind of tax, you can avoid it buy buying a stripped lower.

Austin

So the FFL transer fee is what I pay my dealer to bring it in? You pay your guy $25 regardless, so it's not percentage based? In that case it wouldn't matter if I order the whole gun or just a lower receiver right?
    I guess what I am really getting at is, say I was to buy one of those bargain bin CMMG rifles for $570 or $650 depending. I think they tack on $15 or $20 for shipping. How much are most people really taking those rifles home for after sending them to their dealers?

I'm not really clear on the question - so here's some facts (in my experience) based on what I think you're asking.

The FFL transfer fee is what you pay your local dealer to do the paperwork/background check so that you can get the gun. Its "usually" a flat rate - $15-$40 or so. I've never heard of anyone charging a percentage, but maybe some FFL dealers do.

If you order the lower, or order the complete gun, you'll still have to pay your local FFL to do the transfer.

After paying your local FFL the transfer fee, and adding in shipping with the price of the gun, that should be all you pay.

....Unless the seller is in the same state as you are, in which case they will have to add sales tax into the purchase price.

Austin

The receiving FFL can charge whatever he wants really. So your going to have to ask him first. And perhaps shop around for one that is reasonable and seems to want to do it.

He has to: Receive and unpack the gun, log the gun in to his bound book, log it back out to you, help you fill out and he complete the 4473 form, make the call to NICS and obtain the number/clearance and log that and then file the form.

I have gotten numbers from $35 all the way up to $50 around here. No real cheap ones. I have used one a couple times that charges me $35 but I don't really like it. But thats the deal he wants and no one else around here is cheaper. But its all I pay.

I pay $20.00 here in Kansas and that is pretty standard for this part of the country.
    Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."

~ Thomas Jefferson

Links