First .22

This is a discussion on First .22 within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by SIXTO It will force him to take his time and shoot right, instead of using multiple shots to knock that can down. ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: First .22

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    It will force him to take his time and shoot right, instead of using multiple shots to knock that can down.
    Most excellent point.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

2. Remove Ads

Check around for a Cricket. Tiny single shot bolt-action for around a $100. Bought 2 for my kids and they were 7 and 10. They love em. Can find them anywhere.

+ 1 on the Cricket. Got one for my daughter when she turned 7.

Plenty of time for the 10/22 in a couple of years IMO.....

That Henry Youth might be a choice if you want a repeater but I agree with those that recommend a Single for the the first one.

http://www.henryrepeating.com/h001y_leveryouth.cfm

Or how about a Cricket?

http://www.crickett.com/TheStore/Rifles/rifles.html

Or how about the new Remington model 5 youth? I like this one because of the single shot adapter and then the 5 shot mag too.

http://www.remington.com/products/fi...model_five.asp

You might even consider something like a Savage Model 24 over under which gives you a 20 gauge bottom and .22LR upper both in single shot for something he can use both ways. I think there is a youth length in that too. Also you could find an old Stevens 22-410 for that sort of thing.

Lots of other choices. A good Youth length will last him a while and be something he can hand down to his kids.

anything small , bolt action , and single shot.
    Honor, Courage, Virtue. These are what makes a man.
    "The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps."
    Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945

The Henry mini bolt action .22 I got for my son is a single shot on the same pattern of the Cricket.
    Life member NRA since 1983
    I carry a Kimber Ultra Carry II in a Crossbreed SuperTuck. My wife carries a Walther PPS .40 w/Crossbreed holster.

HKR
    I am going to pick up a Cricket at the end of the week for my 7yr. old. My local shop can get it for $140, Sportsman's Warehouse has them for $149 and Walmart sells them for $90. Seems to be a good starter rifle. I learned on a .22 singleshot Remington at about the same age. I started a thread on the Cricket over in the General Firearm Discussions section .

Thanks, I do see where the single shot bolt action will be the best for several reasons. Now all I have to do is decide on the make and model!
    Think twice
    Buy once!

You might look at a cricket, it's a single shot .22 these rifles are very compact. IMO these rifles are a good choice for teaching our youth proper firearm safty and shooting. you can find them at wal-mart, (well at least the ones who still have the display case) for around $100

I bought my son a Savage Cub last year. It's a single shot with an Accutrigger. Savage did a really nice job. Next up....We've got a Winchester 94-22mag. My son helped pick it out....guess he's watched a few old westerns with his old man!

Here's what the Cub looks like:

Savage Arms Mini Youth Model Cub

I think starting off with a single shot makes sense when teaching firearms safety and how to handle a rifle. Then, move them into a 10/22 or other semi.

Just my two cents worth,

Wayne

Ruger or Marlin carbine 22.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Senior Moderator
    I am think about a Rossi single shot, with changable barrels from .22lr to .410.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

I learned to shoot on a bolt action .22 with sights, and I recommend the same-a clip loaded rather than a tube magazine, but a bolt action with sights for sure. I have a 30+ year old Marlin Glenfield that is still accurate enough for squirrel hunting and cost under $100.
    I'd hold off on a semi auto till he learns to shoot well and safely and make his shot count.
    FWIW, I learned to shoot in the Cub Scouts well over 50 years ago. The boy scouts awarded merit badges for marksmanship, but I don't know it they still do. Might be something to investigate.

Enjoy.

mark

VIP Member
    The Chipmunk made by Rogue Rifle Co. is a good bolt .22 for kids. I like the 10/22, but for reasons previously stated plus the fact that the stock setup is a little on the heavy side for kids, I would go with a kid's size bolt.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    I am think about a Rossi single shot, with changable barrels from .22lr to .410.
    I was thinking the same thing. We have a .22/20ga, and it's not bad at all. I even bought the extended recoil pad for it.

Rossi Link

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links