First AR-15

First AR-15

This is a discussion on First AR-15 within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I went to the gun show today in hopes of finding a good home defense long gun. My original idea was to find a Mossy ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First AR-15

First AR-15

I went to the gun show today in hopes of finding a good home defense long gun. My original idea was to find a Mossy 500 but when I realized the the prices were no better there than online, i turned my attention to an Olympic Arms AR-15 plinker in .223. After a few paces by the booth I am now the new proud owner! Can't wait to shoot it.

On a side note. I have never been so nervous around guns in my life. From the time I walked in the door to the time I left I was swept with muzzles. One guy was actually looking down the barrel of his friends new rifle, finger on the trigger, aimed right on my chest. Definetally was an adventure!

I just got my first AR a couple days ago....still haven't shot it yet. How much did it set you back? Got any pictures?

I know what you mean about muzzles and gun shows. Last one I went to (about a month ago) there was an 11 year old kid behind one of the counters - no adults in sight - pointing a S&W 500 around....

Austin

I will take some pictures in a bit. It cost me $700 after tax. I probly could have found it a little cheaper on line but after transfer and shipping and waiting it was worth it for the impulse buy. What make did you buy? How much

Congratulations. I hope your Oly does right by you. Keep it clean, and everything should go as well as can be expected.

jgp
    What's the deal with the Oly's? Been looking at those vs. Bushy and RRA because they're significantly cheaper. Significantly enough to sway me, anyway. Are there any major differences I don't see?

Parts and finish mainly. Economical differences I think you mentioned--(cheaper). I ,in no means mean to dissuade the OP on his new rifle, but I hear that you either get one that shoots, or one that don't. I personally have no experience with the brand, I just happen to frequent forums where things like this are discussed. IMO--nothing wrong with a used AR-15 that has been cared for, vs a new one (budget-wise). Remember--you'll likely find cheaper surplus ammo in 5.56mm than in .223. Again----the 5.56mm should not be shot in a rifle chambered in .223. Be careful, be safe. Oh---and read the owner's manual carefully.

Yes, after my purchase I read a few negative things, but thankfully there was also positives. It does have a life time warranty which is nice and hopefully everything will work out well. I did buy it in .223 thinking THAT would be cheaper to shoot but o well, I will keep my fingers crossed

There is often no more than $100 difference in a good Bushy or RRA and an Oly. I would spend it myself. Pay attention to things like Chrome lined barrels (can make a significant difference in cost not readily noticeable) and see if the Staking is done aggressively and such as that.

Congrats on your new AR. Everyone should have one. Let us know if you need any help tweeking it. Get a few boxes of decent Brass cased ammo for it and a few good mags to minimize your break in issues and go for it. Should run flawlessly right off the bat or we may need to discuss some things.

Great, thank you! It is nice to know there is some place to get my questions answered with out worrying about sounding dumb.

Mine's a Noveske Infidel....look a couple threads down to see it. It was ridiculously expensive.

Austin

Very nice, like I said my budget was around 300 for a mossy and instead I left with a 700 AR. Thats why I didnt spring for the extra couple of hundred. I am already way over where I should be.

It will serve you well for home defense. There are lots of good loads out there - what is the rate of twist in your barrel? At across the room distances it won't make much difference, but more or less twist can help with bullet selection for longer distances. Have you looked around ar15.com and m4carbine.net? Lots of good lurking to be done there...pretty much everything has already been asked. I don't have any personal experience with Olympic Arms, but I grew up in their area. I've heard good things about their barrels, and so-so for the rest. I wouldn't worry about it in any case! Good shooting!

Austin

Ya, actually I am on there as we speak in a different window. I am looking for an affordable light and mount until I can afford a better one. Lots to learn and since it is my first AR I dont mind making some mistakes. No clue on the twist, I am like a toddler when it comes to rifles. THe only other long gun a have is the Kel tec sub2000 in 9mm.

Its more than likely a 1 in 9 twist and should probably shoot 55 grain stuff really well.

Congrats-

I just finished building my Colt upper with CMMG lower. If your gun shoots like mine, you'll have loads of fun.
    I killed a deer with my AR15 this year. They are good weapons with the right ammunition. Duh! Like I needed to say that.

My gun does not shoot Wolf. Maybe yours will.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links