Ever bring a defensive rifle when traveling ?

This is a discussion on Ever bring a defensive rifle when traveling ? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Personal Defense TV was discussing battle rifles as part of a home-defense arsenal. When traveling on the road however, I am wondering if you've ever ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ever bring a defensive rifle when traveling ?

Personal Defense TV was discussing battle rifles as part of a home-defense arsenal. When traveling on the road however, I am wondering if you've ever considered bring a rifle in the trunk of your vehicle (in compliance with all local laws of course) for unforeseen situations.

Guess I am thinking that if some big event like 9/11 or some natural disaster occurred - travel may be difficult and we might have to stay put for awhile at the hotel or at a relatives house or wherever we happen to be. Assuming the normal carry rig would be available as a matter of course, it still seems that a defensive rifle would be a useful option for keeping the premises secure. This is worst-case scenario thinking perhaps. but wondering if anyone else has considered this - or am I thinking about all this too hard ?
    Allen

G27, Beretta 8040, Ruger GP100

I've considered this since buying my Beretta Cx4 carbine. The 17 rd mags for my Beretta carry pistol also fit the carbine. Put the carbine in the trunk unloaded and if needed just pop in a pistol mag from my mag carrier on my shoulder holster. Having a carbine and carry pistol that uses the same mags/ammo opens up a lot of new ideas.
    Welcome to Tennessee, the patron state of shootin' stuff.--SHOOTER

VIP Member
    Yes, over Christmas we went out of town for a few days. We packed 4 pistols (my carry gun +spare, my wife's carry gun +spare), one lever rifle & one pump shotgun.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by goawayfarm View Post
    Yes, over Christmas we went out of town for a few days. We packed 4 pistols (my carry gun +spare, my wife's carry gun +spare), one lever rifle & one pump shotgun.
    Lots of firepower for a trip...were you traveling with the President?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

JD
    Administrator
    Only once when I was sent down to help out after Katrina, I never made it into N.O., but I was armed for bear if I did have to go in that mess...

Probably going to start packing more as we are driving further and further to visit the relatives...

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    when I leave for the holidays, my gun collection comes with me, cased and unloaded, but I do this more as an anti-theft measure than a SHTF measure.
    "A well-educated electorate, being necessary to the continuance of a free state, the right of the people to keep and read books shall not be infringed."
    Is this hard to understand? Then why does it get unintelligible to some people when 5 little words are changed?

I have a slide-in camper for my F350 4X4 and the wife and I like to roam the National Forest and BLM lands in the western states. In addition to carry guns (Para-Ord .45 for me, Glock 9mm for the wife and Glock 10mm for vehicle engagements) I always take a tricked out Rem 1100 12 ga, my scoped 7mm mag and a shortie AR, and a butt load of ammo; they are having druggie problems (not to mention illegals) out there on public lands and I am not going to get caught wanting.

When traveling other than the mountain states I always have the 1100 in the camper and sometimes, not often the shortie AR along with the handguns.

Administrator
    Yes, I've tossed an AR in the car before just in case.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Sure, often. There is a lot of open space, in the Pacific Northwest. A lot can happen.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I was planning to bring the AK out with my on New years eve but decided to stay home.
    كافر(Infidel)
    He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.
    Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil, Aphorism 146
    German philosopher (1844 - 1900)

Always

Yes !

I keep a 10.5" barreled AR15 in the trunk of my automobile. It's and LMT lower with the LMT "MK18 CQBR" upper. Rails are the DD "Omega" with Surefire M910A foregrip light and SOPMOD stock also sporting an Aimpoint CompM3 on a LaRue "C" mount. There is a Hawkpake rifle bug out bag with several mags and filled with an H&K USPf .40 Smith and mags for that also. Inside the bag is two meals (MRE) along with water purification tablets, water bottle, rifle and pistol cleaning supplies, signale mirror, compass, leatherman tool and some more stuff that I can't think of right at the moment. Oh, yeah, and an Strider BD knife.

Yes, I keep a rifle with me when traveling.
    U.S. Army retired
    18F4VW9

Senior Moderator
    It is better to have too much
    rather than not enough...
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

If I'm further than 30 minutes from the house, or going somewhere unknown, then I toss the BOB in the truck.
    Carries a Carbon 15 AR pistol with CMore optics, 200 rounds of ammo, 6 spare mags for the 1911 MREs, 1st aid supplies, extra flashlight, one of those survival blankets, firestarter etc.

I had a friends father "disappear" in a car wreck right around Thanksgiving. He's OK but he was lost for 3 days trapped in a car with nothing. I don't want to be that guy.
    "If I was an extremist, our founding fathers would all be extremists," he said. "Without them, we wouldn't have our independence. We'd be a disarmed British system of feudal subjectivity."

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by dunndw View Post

I had a friends father "disappear" in a car wreck right around Thanksgiving. He's OK but he was lost for 3 days trapped in a car with nothing. I don't want to be that guy.
    ...but he was trapped as in pinned, so how would he have got to the goody bag?
    "Just blame Sixto"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links