Minishells

This is a discussion on Minishells within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I took my 14 year old daughter to the range and while she was filling out the paperwork I told the guy that I brought ...

Thread: Minishells

Senior Member Array Timmy Jimmy's Avatar

Minishells

I took my 14 year old daughter to the range and while she was filling out the paperwork I told the guy that I brought her to teach her how to shot the Winchester 1200 Defender. He reached under the counter and said here use these it will make it much more enjoyable for her.

Then he handed me a box of Aguila Minishells. http://www.the-armory.com/shopsite_s..._12ga_Min.html

He was correct, the kick was almost nonexistent, and she had a great trip to the range (Or as great of trip as a 14 year can have that really wants to be home playing video games).

Have any of you had any dealings with these little gems?

They were a little pricey but they worked well.
    Timmy Jimmy

If it is not in the US Constitution then the Federal Government should not be doing it.

"Carrying a gun is a social responsibility."

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    They are kinda neat, more of a novelty than anything else though. They do have some feeding problems, make sure your gun works OK with them before you depend on them.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I've seen these at a store or two, and a gun show once. Never used them myself.
    I thought they were a bit too expensive for their intended purpose.
    For range work, I just use light "trap" loads, whatever is on sale.
    If I want buckshot, odds are I want to put as much powder behind it as safely possible. So I didn't see where these fit in.

Do they have significantly less recoil than softer "trap" loads? It'd be fun to pattern a few of them, and test penetration on wetpack or etc... and see if they do fill the proverbial gap.

for taking your 14 year old daughter to the range and having a safe & enjoyable outing. More responsible gun owners =

Peace,
    Pete Zaria.
    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.
    - Margaret Mead

"Booger Hook Off the Bang Switch" - unknown

Senior Member Array Timmy Jimmy's Avatar
    The pattern at 15 yards was about 18 inches.

As far a s feed problems as long as she racked fast it fed fine, but if she was slow on the pump it hung up.
    Timmy Jimmy

If it is not in the US Constitution then the Federal Government should not be doing it.

"Carrying a gun is a social responsibility."

Administrator
    The Ithaca 37 will feed them just fine. Just FYI.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

For an introductory round they are great. Lets the first timer get some "seat" time behind the gun before a heavier load is thrown in. The next step up is a 2 3/4" light trap load. They have little recoil, more than the Aguila stuff, but light none the less.

Kudos for taking the youngster to the range. Even if she doesn't jump for joy at the next mention of going to the range, she at least has fundemental knowledge, and a base to build on. Maybe some reactionary targets could be a next step. I know for me when I saw a glass dinner plate explode I was hooked. Can only blame my Dad for that one. Thanks Dad.
    "A simple way to take measure of a country is to look at how many want in ... And how many want out." British Prime Minister Tony Blair

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    Maybe I should have used them.
    Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by exactlymypoint View Post
    Ouch! That had to hurt!
    John
    Assault is a behavior, not a device.

"Don't never take no shortcuts." Patty Reed, Donner Party

Lifetime NRA member

have never seen them before. nice find.

and nice bruise man

VIP Member
    High and tight in the pocket of the shoulder, young Jedi - TIGHT in the pocket of the shoulder...

I don't have a pic of it, but on one shotgun course I did, I ended up with a similar bruise. On one stage, I was engaging a target from behind cover, and the 'reach' angle was pretty severe (the target was at an angle away from the cover - that it, it was way off to the left and I was coming around the right side of the cover). I ended up sticking the shottie and my upper body way out, in an attempt to engage the threat while still keeping as much of me behind cover as possible. The best way to do this (so it seemed) was to put the stock of the shotgun against my lower right bicep. Ouch.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy Jimmy View Post
    I took my 14 year old daughter to the range and while she was filling out the paperwork I told the guy that I brought her to teach her how to shot the Winchester 1200 Defender. He reached under the counter and said here use these it will make it much more enjoyable for her.

Then he handed me a box of Aguila Minishells. http://www.the-armory.com/shopsite_s..._12ga_Min.html

He was correct, the kick was almost nonexistent, and she had a great trip to the range (Or as great of trip as a 14 year can have that really wants to be home playing video games).

Have any of you had any dealings with these little gems?

They were a little pricey but they worked well.
    I have used these before. They are very light but they don't feed in my Mossberg 500 very well (about 25% FTF).

Most importantly though, I'm glad you had a good day at the range with your daughter. Good for both of you.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Administrator
    Good god, who taught you how to shoot a shotgun? Do like OPFOR says, and you can shoot full loads all day with no problems.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    High and tight in the pocket of the shoulder, young Jedi - TIGHT in the pocket of the shoulder...
    Oh I know. But it was an all day class, went through 300+ rounds and, well, toward the end of the day that gun was mighty heavy and it obviously was not placed in the right spot.

My advice to people who are going to take an all day class is to spend some time building up the arm muscles.

Wow nice find on those mini shells. I want to try some, may be able to fit a dozen of them in the pump action :-)

Now how long until some idiot blows his hand off while loading one of these into a flare gun ????

I use Aguila CB caps in my .22 pump to dispatch Pigeons in my back yard. They're so quiet that the next door neighbor never hears them.

Links