Bird hunting with riot gun

This is a discussion on Bird hunting with riot gun within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Having just purchased my first Remington 870 HD shotgun with 18" barrel and 7-shot magazine (composite stock) and a cylinder bore, I patterned the gun ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bird hunting with riot gun

Having just purchased my first Remington 870 HD shotgun with 18" barrel and 7-shot magazine (composite stock) and a cylinder bore, I patterned the gun from 10, 20 and 30 yards with 5-shot and 00 buck shot. Then, I decided to torture my shoulder even more by running five rounds of 2-3/4" slugs through it at 40 yards followed by five 3"magnum slugs from the same distance.

Results: patterns looked acceptable for birds and self defense at 10-20 yards but then really spread out at 30 yards. Grouping with the slugs was only marginal, but by the time I shot the 3-inchers I might have been flinching. (Now I remember why I went to a semi-auto Winchester Super X2 for pheasants and ducks about 7 years ago.)

So, if I still want to try to tackle a pheasant or two, what might be the most likely load? 4-shot? 2-shot? My guess is anything beyond about 30 yards is going to be more luck than anything else ... and the way I shoot, that might help my odds, actually.

Thanks for the input. (And, for the record, I've decided to stick with the 2-3/4" slugs for SD and occasional whitetail hunting in the brush.)
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy - Tom Waits

I've got an HD, and love it for home defense or slug shooting. A 26 or 28 inch barrel won't cost you much, and is easy to install for those bird hunting trips.

Lead Moderator
    I tried shooting clays once with my 18" barreled shotgun. Up close it would work , but like your testing shows, out past 30' or so it sucks. Best to get a different barrel.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Senior Moderator
    The HD is just a short barreled shotgun. There are a multitude of barrels that you can buy that are better suited. If I were you, I'd get a multichoked 26" barrel. It takes about 2 minutes to change it out. Then you could hunt or do whatever you want to. When you are done, swap it back to HD.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Agree with the other posters. I have an 870 Marine Magnum HD shotgun with a short cylinder choke barrel. I bought a used long barrel with interchangeable chokes that I use for the trap range. I will admit that the gun looks a little funny with the long blued barrel, the nickel receiver & magazine and the "tactical" shell sidesaddle on the receiver. But it shoots well.

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    Pheasant hunting with 18" barrell. You're kidding right?

Don't forget to put a plug in too, unless federal game bird laws are somehow different where you are.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

mag plug

Quote Originally Posted by SonofASniper View Post
    Pheasant hunting with 18" barrell. You're kidding right?

Don't forget to put a plug in too, unless federal game bird laws are somehow different where you are.
    yeah dont forget the plug, michigan has a 3 shell max. limit.
    also if you lost your plug,(which i did)an arrow cut to size
    works great.
    (SHERIFF BUFORD T. JUSTICE) "what the hell is
    the world coming too"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

U.S. ARMY FT.SILL, OKLA.

Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    I tried shooting clays once with my 18" barreled shotgun. Up close it would work , but like your testing shows, out past 30' or so it sucks. Best to get a different barrel.
    Having shot lots of skeet with an 18" cylinder bore: if its over 20 yards, you need a slug!

Administrator
    I dont even think its legal to hunt with an 18" is it?

I'd buy another barrel at least, but I more than likely buy a gun suitable for bird hunting. You can pick up another 870 cheaply.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Quote Originally Posted by 9mm10mmamen View Post
    Having just purchased my first Remington 870 HD shotgun with 18" barrel and 7-shot magazine (composite stock) and a cylinder bore, I patterned the gun from 10, 20 and 30 yards with 5-shot and 00 buck shot. Then, I decided to torture my shoulder even more by running five rounds of 2-3/4" slugs through it at 40 yards followed by five 3"magnum slugs from the same distance.

Results: patterns looked acceptable for birds and self defense at 10-20 yards but then really spread out at 30 yards. Grouping with the slugs was only marginal, but by the time I shot the 3-inchers I might have been flinching. (Now I remember why I went to a semi-auto Winchester Super X2 for pheasants and ducks about 7 years ago.)

So, if I still want to try to tackle a pheasant or two, what might be the most likely load? 4-shot? 2-shot? My guess is anything beyond about 30 yards is going to be more luck than anything else ... and the way I shoot, that might help my odds, actually.

Thanks for the input. (And, for the record, I've decided to stick with the 2-3/4" slugs for SD and occasional whitetail hunting in the brush.)

If your doing it just to do it check the laws.

If your doing it to to have fun and maybe get some instant gratification breaking clays.....You'll be frustrated. If you using a Tactical shotgun chances are it has a Cylinder choke. In essence "there is no choke." You might be able to get away with this on a skeet field.

However, If your a person that shoots the birds a little late in the Trap game (which is mostly newer shooters) you may have a difficult time, since the birds will be fairly far away from you. A lot of trap shooters shoot 28 inch barrels minimum, and some go as far as 30. I generally spot shoot my trap targets, for me that is breaking(trying) them right as they come out of the house this is about 10-20 feet. In trap your already back behind the Trap house 16 yards. However in Skeet your all over the field at 8 differnt stations, sometimes your standing next to under the house, and some of the targets are almost within baseball bat distance (JK) and I use strictly a sustained lead for every station but 8.

If you shooting Trap which is probably the most common game you need something that is some what in the middle, For Trap I generally shoot a Beretta Auto-Loader and I shoot a Mod for trap, I might graduate here shortly to a full, because I'm starting to get into 5 stand. NOw if your some of these guys and you like turning your clays into POWDER then a Full choke maybe does it for you.

My skeet gun is a browning citori O/U 28 barrel with Skeet and Skeet chokes.

If you can find a Wabble Trap Field that may be the most fun for somebody who doesn't have a lot of experience shooting clays or even birds. Wabble is fairly easy to hit most of the targets since most fields your standing on top of the traps. I would highly advice you to stay away from Sporting Clays or 5 stand with a 18 tactical shotgun.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

I have a dedicated 28" barrel bird-hunting shotgun but I've also used my 18" 500c for clays and pigeons. My range wasn't affected all that much.
    BTW, I'd use #4's.

VIP Member
    NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Quote Originally Posted by PackerfanXD View Post
    I have a dedicated 28" barrel bird-hunting shotgun but I've also used my 18" 500c for clays and pigeons. My range wasn't affected all that much.
    BTW, I'd use #4's.
    #4 for birds okay don't bird hunt.

#4 not for Clays. 7 1/2, 8, or 9's for the games I've never seen a facility that allows anything bigger than then 7 1/2 for trap, skeet
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Quote Originally Posted by Rob99VMI04 View Post
    #4 for birds okay don't bird hunt.

#4 not for Clays. 7 1/2, 8, or 9's for the games I've never seen a facility that allows anything bigger than then 7 1/2 for trap, skeet
    Ha, no, I would not use #4's on clays.

My goodness! I seem to have located a sensitive area in the realm of shotgunning.

As a first reaction, I have to say that I see the sense in buying another barrel with selective chokes. That's what I've been using for about 25 years ... before that a 12 gauge Winchester Model 12 with a Cutts Compensator (drove my duck hunting buddies crazy -and deaf - when pass shooting in front of the blind near them).

I think I'll keep my eyes open for a barrel with either changeable choke tubes or an improved cylinder or modified choke. Truth is, I need a LOT more time on the trap or skeet line or shooting sporting clays in order to become proficient with a shotgun. I don't see me becoming a good wing shot without a significant investment of time and money in re-learning how to shoot well.

However, I've become distracted by IDPA competition and plan to spend most of my limited time (and money) burning through 9mm and .40 cal FMJs in hopes of achieving more proficiency with my Glocks and Kel-Tecs. I just picked up a PF9 and am finding it quite good for precision shooting within 15 feet or so.

The Remington is a rather crude instrument in a HD situation that I see as most likely a hostage issue or something requiring one very good shot as opposed to lots of noise and buckshot heading downrange.

Thanks for the insights and opinions.
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy - Tom Waits

Why don't you install a choke tube in the gun. Barrel length helps with balance and swing. The length doesn't change the pattern the choke does

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links