Century Romanian AK - Good deal?

This is a discussion on Century Romanian AK - Good deal? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; So, I have a chance to pick up a Century Romanian AK47, with 2 30 round mags and a bayonet for right about $300 dollars. ...

Thread: Century Romanian AK - Good deal?

Century Romanian AK - Good deal?

So, I have a chance to pick up a Century Romanian AK47, with 2 30 round mags and a bayonet for right about $300 dollars. Is this a decent deal? I know there's been mixed reports on Century's products, but I'm not looking for a trophy gun that'll shoot bulls eyes at a 1000 yards, just something low cost to plink with mostly, and defend myself from zombie hordes should the need arise. Think this is a decent route to go? Anything in particular to look for or be aware of? Thanks..!
    .40 is fine.

2. Remove Ads

It depends on if it is a SAR-1 or WASR-10. In my experience, the SAR-1's have been better than the WASR-10's.

Ask about the magazine well and see if it fits the bulgarian polymer magazines.

I believe it is a SAR, rather then a WASR, as the WASR is listed separately, but the one I'm looking at doesn't specifically say. How does one tell? What's the difference between the 2?
    .40 is fine.

Read about the differences HERE. Hope this helps. FYI, Even the WASR-10's around here are going for around $350. Either way, it looks like a good deal.

Edit: One key feature would be any type of muzzle brake or threaded barrel. It appears that those are typical of the GP-WASR-10, which seems to be the standard current import available from Century.
    Last edited by LMarshall73; January 8th, 2008 at 12:28 PM. Reason: Added Info

Grib, www.ar15.com has a Romanian AK sub forum that will give you a full run down. Warriortalk is an excellent resource as well. For $300, its a good deal.

The 2 SAR 1's that I owned were excellent for your purposes. THey were well made, reliable and accurate enough. I did change the trigger group in one for improved trigger pull and no slap-the changed also improved accuracy somewhat. I kept my home defence AK loaded with Wolf or Silver Bear JHP's. I'd recommend the hollow points for this use over the FMJ's. I would leave them loaded for 6 months or so, take them to the range, and they worked fine every time.
    $300 with the package you mentioned is less than I paid for either of my Romo AK's alone over 4 years ago....it's a steal!
    They are well made, solid rifles and real fun to shoot in addition to being extremely reliable.

mark

Ok, upon doing a little more research, it sounds like it is a WASR-10, not a SAR1. Does that change anyone's opinion? It doesn't sound like the WASR's are all that bad, thinking I'm gonna go for it...
    .40 is fine.

That's still a good deal for a WASR. The sight i linked to above describes canting of the front sight and gas block. Check the WASR closely for cant. A little is okay (one of mine has the front sight post almost all the way to one side to compensate). I've read that the front site is usually canted due to a casting problem when the rifles were originally manufactured. It is more an aesthetic concern than anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Griblik View Post
    Ok, upon doing a little more research, it sounds like it is a WASR-10, not a SAR1. Does that change anyone's opinion? It doesn't sound like the WASR's are all that bad, thinking I'm gonna go for it...
    Single-stack mags, then? The price is still good,and in 20 minutes with a Dremel you can accept hi-caps (state-dependant.) Mine is a self-conversion & I'm very satisfied.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob72 View Post
    Single-stack mags, then?
    It ships with 2 30 round mags, it sounds like Century does the conversion, to allow it to accept them.
    .40 is fine.

My WASR-10 is high cap. The mag well may still need to be filed. That's what I had to do so my ProMag 30 rounders to fit (no fitment problems with steel 30 rounders). HERE is a good discussion forum.

Well... It's ordered! Crossing my fingers that I get one of the goodn's! Thanks for all the input and advice, will post what I end up with when it comes in about 10 years, aka Friday. :-)
    .40 is fine.

:frown:

I'm ready for my new toy to show up in the mail now............................................... ..............................
    .40 is fine.

Links