Dumb question .223 or 5.56 - Page 2

Dumb question .223 or 5.56

This is a discussion on Dumb question .223 or 5.56 within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Look at the barrel. If it is marked 5.56, you can shoot 5.56 or .223 in it. If it is marked .223, it is potentially ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dumb question .223 or 5.56

Senior Moderator
    Look at the barrel. If it is marked 5.56, you can shoot 5.56 or .223 in it.

If it is marked .223, it is potentially unsafe to shoot 5.56 in it.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Does anyone have an answer for this Bushmaster dilemma?
    1-800-883-6229 (Bushmaster) Toll free, very kind, and I love listening to their yankee accent. Ask 'em. Likely they've done this to avoid confusion.

It doesn't matter what the receiver says on it. The receiver can shoot 6.8 SPC, right? Its the barrel that has the chamber inside it...not the upper, not the lower - the barrel. Sorry if I couldn't take a joke....I thought you were serious.

Austin

Administrator
    One of the reasons why I grabbed one of the first Galil imports (way back when) was that they were/are 5.56/.223.
    It's nice having that versatility in a SHTF Battle Rifle.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Thanks V8, that explains it!

Ok Now I am confused. When I bought my Olympic arms plinker AR last week the sign said .223. After reading this post I checked my barrel and it says SS then just under it 556, on the top of the barrel just in front of the sight tower.

Now what? Was the dealer wrong?

The information is correct, you cannot (well should not) shoot a 5.56 round through a .223 chambered rifle. A 5.56 chamber will shoot both safely. Why? If you have any reloading manuals you will find that the .223 and the 5.56 have the same exact case, the actual bullet is the difference, the over all length and the weight of the bullet vary from one to the other. A .223 rifle typically has a twist rate of 1 in 12 vs the 1 in 9 of a 5.56 rifle. The bullet weight of the .223 will vary from 40 - 60 grains, vs the 5.56's 68-75 grains. Long story short, inside a bullet case that is being fired you have pressure, too much and things break and you get hurt, a heavier bullet tends to increase case pressure as well as tighter twist rates. So a heavy bullet in a tight twist rate can raise case pressure too high. IE. a 5.56 round in a .223 rifle.

Got it?
    Thanks V8, that explains it!
    Well----not exactly. 5.56 nato and .223 cases are not really "the same". The truth is that the largest difference is in the chamber and the leade. In other words, the 5.56mm chambered round bullet will likely be shoved into the rifling upon chambering. All modern ammunition requires a certain amount of 'jump' from the cartridge mouth to the lands of the rifling. Without the free space jump (even though it is within thousandths of an inch), case pressures build up exponentially. If a loaded round's bullet is wedged into the rifling in the chamber, it takes more of the generated pressure within to get it moving. Consider it a blockage of the bore. Warning---never go on one opinion on the site. Do your research, and make sure more that three times what someone has said is true. You are using the internet right now----do your own search, then ask opinions. Bullet weights may touch this subject significantly, but twist rates are not a factor concerning the over-pressures---only the projectile's properties upon leaving the barrel, and accuracy. I'd ask all members of this forum to not take opinions up front---but just do a little more researching and get several estimates before you take words as the gospel truth. So---I take it the toll free number to Bushmaster didn't work?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links