Dumb question .223 or 5.56

This is a discussion on Dumb question .223 or 5.56 within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Ok this is a dumb question and i am pretty shore i know the answer already but. My buddy went out and bought a cheap ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dumb question .223 or 5.56

Dumb question .223 or 5.56

Ok this is a dumb question and i am pretty shore i know the answer already but. My buddy went out and bought a cheap ar15 "an olympic i think its spelled" and his salesman told him he can shoot either .223 or 5.56 now it is chambered for .223.
    now when i bought my dpms ar15 chambered for .223 i was told not to mix the ammo that 5.56 wouldnt work in a .223
    so who is correct here?

2. Remove Ads

It is safe to fire .223 ammo in a weapon with a 5.56 chamber. It is not safe to fire 5.56 ammo in a weapon with a .223 chamber.

Austin

Quote Originally Posted by aus71383 View Post
    It is safe to fire .223 ammo in a weapon with a 5.56 chamber. It is not safe to fire 5.56 ammo in a weapon with a .223 chamber.

Austin
    This is correct.

What ones needs to look for is an AR15 that is chambered specifically for 5.56.45 NATO or that it is chambered with a "Wylde" chamber to accomadate both .223 and 5.56 NATO. Often referred to as a "Wildcat" chamber.

Some match grade barrels are only chambered for .223 Remington. That's fine as you'll find your self shooting more .223 Remington than you will 5.56 NATO, at least for most civillians unless your ordering specific NATO designated ammunition. In which case you want the NATO chamber or "Wylde" chamber.

I've found that my Les Baer AR15 designated "Thunder Ranch" is a tight match grade chamber for only .223 Remington. It's an stainless steel fluted barrel with an 1:8 twist and polygonal rifling. I don't have a problem with this as I usually shoot Remington Premier Match ammunition through it with total confidence in it's accuracy. The Les Baer rifle when shot with this ammunition will hold 1/2 MOA @ 100 meters all day long on the bench and it ain't bad free handed either.

I have LMT's that are NATO chambered should I find myself with an ammo canister marked 'M885" or other military designated ammunition.

Hope that helps.
    Perhaps your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others.

yes that helps greatly. thanks so much guys.

A quick use of the search feature here should also answer this question.
    Lex et Libertas Semper Vigilo, Fortis, Paratus, et Fidelis!

"Not only do the people who put their lives on the line to protect the rest of us deserve better, we all deserve better than to have our own security undermined by those who undermine law enforcement." -Thomas Sowell

Austin
    Exactly.

Why?

Why what? Do I need to find a link?

No, I'm just ignorant. Ever since my m-16 days I thought they were identical rounds!

Winchester Law Enforcement
    Let me know if you need any more resources for the subject in question. P.S.---you're already on the internet---type what you want to know in the little box and go. FYI---what I typed in the little box was: .223 vs 5.56mm. I'll apologize for being a bit short tonight.

Thanks you crabby old guy!

LOL No problem. I'm on quite a few forums. (other than gun/ccw related like this one). There is in essence--never a stupid question, only that question unasked. Those who know, owe it to others to help them be safe. Just like a city puts up traffic signals only after so many accidents happen at that location. Likely tens or hundreds of folks have come up on the short end of the stick buying surplus 5.56mm ammo for their .223 rifle. Only then do the warnings finally go out to the public. Bushmaster had put out a full page on the ammunition differences several years ago in their catalog. Someone here hinted on a possibility of more modern rifles being chambered in a ".223 Wylde caliber--that is supposedly a compromise in this respect. I have yet to hear about that, but then again---I haven't fully searched the internet for that. Possible best case scenario would be destroying a nice rifle, worse case scenario--one could loose some fingers, a hand, an eye, etc... Be safe, know your weapon, know the limitations. This fact has been something I try to bring to light whenever someone is looking to buy an AR15, or making a choice to buy a .223 rifle with intentions of .223 and 5.56 being one and the same. It aint so.

so if it is chambered for .223 wylde will there be a different designation on the stamping? i highly doubt my buddys plinker pluss made by olympic will be chambered that way but who knows. i will see it tommorow so i will look if i know what to look for.

It should be marked on the barrel, but that can't always be trusted. Its certainly not safe to trust what the lower receiver says. The safest way is to measure the chamber (I don't know how....look it up?) to be sure. The easiest way is to buy a high quality gun from a reputable manufacturer....JMO

Austin

Austin
    I have read articles that say the same thing that you state. However, my Bushmaster has imprinted on the outside of the receiver area .223 and 5.56mm. Bushmaster probably sells as many AR15's in the U.S. as any other. Does anyone have an answer for this Bushmaster delimma?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links