Eyeballing a new HD 12 gauge.

This is a discussion on Eyeballing a new HD 12 gauge. within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Thanks again for your input, I couldn't access the gunbroker link. Yeah, the sound of racking a pump may help me avoid actually needing to ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Eyeballing a new HD 12 gauge.

Distinguished Member Array Wasabi's Avatar
    Thanks again for your input,

I couldn't access the gunbroker link.

Yeah, the sound of racking a pump may help me avoid actually needing to take a shot and scare the BG(s) off. No time for jams when my family's safety is on the line. The semi route has me worried there.

This 870 looks good:
    Model 870™ Folding Stock w/7-Shot Extension

I'm not sure I like that folding stock. Comes with an extended tactical choke though. I like the stock on this 1100 TAC-2:
    Model 870™ TAC Desert Recon Series

This 870 looks good also if I want something more compact:
    Remington Model 870™ Express® Express® 7-Shot Premier Dealer Exclusive

I like the bottom one with the pistol grip fore-end.

What's the deal with the Express line anyway? Is the quality there?

Thanks again.

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    This thread is getting close to this one; http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ton-870-a.html

Read through it too, it has some good advice.

The express line is cheaper than the POLICE line and the wingmasters due to some MIM parts, and not near the care in fitting the express guns.
    They are lesser quality, but still good strong guns with excellent product support from both Remington and aftermarket companies.
    I own wingmasters and a police 1187... I still choose my express 870 hd for home defense duty because it has everything needed and nothing that is not.

Dont get caught up in the tactical this and that, the sole purpose of that is to seperate your money from your wallet. Keep it simple, and I promise you you will be better off in the long run.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I'll throw in my 0.02.

First I wouldn't worry about magnum loads, over penertration could be an issue with those, for HD, a 2 3/4 inch or 3 inch shell of 00 should do the job just fine.

Semi's can be less reliable, but are getting better.

I personally like Mossbergs, and have a 20 inch barrel version with the 7 shot tube. When I got mine I got a good deal on it. Also, when we draw shotguns from the armory here to train with for deployment, we draw out Mossbergs, if that means anything to ya. The Marines trust Mossbergs, which I like cause I'm already familiar with the weapon.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by buckeyePFC View Post
    Also, when we draw shotguns from the armory here to train with for deployment, we draw out Mossbergs, if that means anything to ya. The Marines trust Mossbergs, which I like cause I'm already familiar with the weapon.
    ...590's. The 590 is a lot better of a gun than the 500.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Senior Member Array Knuckledrager's Avatar
    I have seen and shot the 590s and I agree. They are much stronger than the 500s. As far as the autos go, I would rather have the pump gun for combative purposes, any day of the week.
    "The liberty of the individual is no gift of civilization. It was greatest before there was any civilization." Sigmund Freud

as far as the saige it is a classic ak pattern but its terribly ugly compared to other weapons from that family. then again its just as reliable as anything else form that family and bg's shouldn't realy have long enough to be offended by the ugly shotgun anyway.
    "Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result."
    -Winston Churchill
    Every well-bred petty crook knows: the small concealable weapons always go to the far left of the place setting.
    -Inara, firefly

Buy yourself a 590A1 and you wont go wrong.
    Attached Images

OD*
    Spend the extra money and get the 870 Police.
    http://www.remingtonmilitary.com/art...Pol6-30-05.pdf
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

Yeah, the 870 Police is very very nice...but I like my 590A1 a little bit better. The heavier barrel makes shooting full-power rounds much more pleasant. And, of course, the safety location. Sold my 870 to a buddy who kept buggin' me.

Distinguished Member Array Wasabi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OD View Post
    Spend the extra money and get the 870 Police.
    http://www.remingtonmilitary.com/art...Pol6-30-05.pdf
    Excellent document on the differences between the Express and Police models. If I go 870, I'll definitely go with a Police model.

Thanks for your input.

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by Wasabi View Post
    Excellent document on the differences between the Express and Police models. If I go 870, I'll definitely go with a Police model.

Thanks for your input.
    You're welcome Sir.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

I got my 870 Express years ago when steel shot was mandated for waterfowl hunting, and I wanted a less-dainty gun for getting knocked around in a boat, splashed with salt water, etc. A few years later I picked up an 18" barrel with rifle sights and screw-in chokes at my favorite gun store in their "closeout" bin for maybe $50. That's the long gun that sits in the closet now, stoked with 4 rounds of buckshot in the mag and extra rounds in a cuff on the stock. Absolutely, drop-dead reliable, and the adjustable rifle sights let me center slugs and buckshot out to 50 yards (ghost ring sights would be a preference, though).

My years of bird hunting with a S+W 1000 auto make the 870's button safety location preferable to me, compared to a tang-mounted safety. I did a little polishing work on the spring detent on the button to make it a bit smoother, plus I found the action bars on the 870 had some rough edges (shear lips from stamping) so those were stoned out to make a very smooth action.

Re the use of an 1100 for HD, the edge goes to the 870 for simplicity, but the 1100 has an incredibly good reliability record with the trap and skeet competition shooters who think nothing of a thousand rounds a week. Granted that target ammo burns very cleanly, but even with hunting/defense loads the gas system is anything but finicky. With the 1100 (with standard 2-3/4” chamber) you don’t get the 870’s flexibility to mix-n-match 3-inch magnum loads with light loads, but realistically, 3-inch magnums aren’t real popular in the law enforcement and defense arenas.

Two last comments about the 1100: if you’re shooting from behind cover, the autoloader won’t require you to expose one hand on the fore-end to reload. Also, much has been made of the sound of racking a round into the chamber with a pump… while that’s neat, the sound of pulling back the bolt and releasing it on an autoloading shotgun is not vastly different, and certainly no less intimidating than racking the slide on a 1911.

Having [belatedly] read the Remington note about the differences between the Police and Express models, I guess I'm lucky in that my 870 Express is an early (c. 1987) model with all the good parts - ball-detent forend cap, metal trigger guard, machined extractor + ejector; pre-MIM vintage. FWIW, the S/N is W5246xxM.
    Last edited by gasmitty; January 13th, 2008 at 01:26 PM. Reason: updated info

VIP Member
    I've got a good many shotguns with evey type of action. Currently my HD is a Benelli M2. I think the Remington 870 that has been widely suggested to you is a very good choice (certainly less expensive than my M2).

Keep in mind that while an auto can malfunction, a pump shotgun can also, if while under stress you happen to short-rack it.

Good luck with your choice.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

VIP Member
    You guys are leaving out us left handed folks. The Mossberg is my #1 choice due to the position of the safety. I don't think you can go wrong with the 870 or the 590, and as a lefty the safety position is the clincher. For the record I own a 500 that has over 10,000 (magnum steel loads) rounds through it (hunting gun not tactical). I have replaced the barrel twice from steel shot usage, but the action just keeps on truckin!!

I know it's all in just what's comfortable for you but I'd stick with the 870. I have a 12 and a 20 in 870. The 20 is my favorite and believe it or not, it's a youth model. It hangs in my closet loaded with buckshot. I choose it over the 12 for HD because it's so short and easy to handle. You can't beat the 870 for reliability, I've never had a problem with either of them.
    The most and best is known to the man who quits his bed before sunrise... who spends his days on the mountains and forests...who bears the heat and cold and hunger and thirst, for the love of nature...to visit the utmost refuges of beast and bird .....Alfred Pease

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links