Defensive Carry banner

Eyeballing a new HD 12 gauge.

6K views 30 replies 16 participants last post by  hkusp9f 
#1 ·
I'm looking for opinions on an 18.5" 12 gauge for strictly home defense. I've been doing a lot of searching and reading here and still have some questions.
-Is a semi going to be less reliable than a pump (enough so to stick with a pump)?
-How about magnum loads? Do I need them? I notice that the Remington 1100 semis won't accept magnums? Any semis that do?
-What's the deal with Mossberg's Marinecoat? They say it helps make a smoother action as well as being more durable.

The big contenders from reading here and my travels to local gunshops/shows are variants of the Mossberg 500, Remington 870/1100 and possibly a Saiga 12. I'm leaning towards the Mossberg 500 Tactical 6 shot w/Marinecoat (OK, it looks cool):
http://www.mossberg.com/images/Mossberg_Guns/930/New/50278.jpg

I'd also like to snag a deal on a Saiga 12 if I can. The Saiga looks like a lot of gun for the money even though the price is creeping up. I also like the safety location on the Mossbergs better than the Remingtons. Any must have changes to either that I should do for a HD shotgun (various chokes, sights, etc.) outside of adding a tactical light? Any others to consider?

Thanks for any input.

See less See more
#3 ·
Thanks SIXTO,

I do like the 870s but again, prefer the safety location on the 500s. From reading here, both the Mossberg and Remingtons have good reputations but like anything else I guess everyone has their favorite. What features of the Remington make it a better choice over the Mossberg 500 or even Saiga 12 for dedicated home defense? I haven't found anything consistent here to say one is better than the other reliability wise. I guess if I were to be shooting it a lot there seems to be the opinion that the Remington is built SLIGHTLY better but the Mossberg is no slouch in that department either.

Thanks for your opinion.

#4 ·
#8 ·
Ive had my eye on the 590 SP for a long time, and my wife got me one for Christmas.

I like both weapons though, I have fired the 870 at my local range, and enjoyed the heck out of it. After doing that for a while, I got the bug again to buy a shotgun, but I couldn't rent a Mossberg locally to try it out.

Like that article says ( a very nice read too, I must say), I don't think you can go wrong with either. I do wish Mossberg had put more into the fit and finish of the receiver though, but thats just me being particular.

Anyway, I really love my 590SP. It also takes up to 3 inch shells.

What im finding out is that a few folks who even have HD shotguns, have both, the 870 and the 590. Silly yes, desirable, yes. heh.

I will probably end up with both.

I know nothing of the Saiga, and so I cant say anything.

#9 ·
The reason I say the 870 is better is because of finish and parts available. I think most everybody owns an 870 of some flavor, and every police dept in the country has 870's.
If you like the Mossberg, I'd buy the 590. Its more robust and has a better finish. Truth be told, I prefer Mossbergs safety location too; but I dont use it and the other advantages far out weigh that.

Any of them will do the trick just fine, but I think long term you will be happier with an 870

#10 ·
Stick with the 870! I've had a hell of a time keeping our aging fleet of Mossberg 500s up and running. Those problems include dealing with Mossberg. Not only is the 870 more durable it is of a better, more rugged design. Remington is easy to deal with and the are far more parts available for the the 870. We will never buy another Mossberg.

#13 ·
Even though I am a Benelli fan....

Sixto and Knuckledrager are spot on for what they are saying.

Remington 870's are worth it, and if you do some shopping you can find some good deals.

In the words of Sixto I "can't hardly toss a cat without it landing on a pile of" 870's. Heck, my father has ended up with 3 free ones sitting in the safe over the last 2 years because people have given them to him for one reason or another.

I think the 870's are probably one of the best "first" shotguns anyone can get.

#15 ·
#16 ·
Thanks again for your input,

I couldn't access the gunbroker link.

Yeah, the sound of racking a pump may help me avoid actually needing to take a shot and scare the BG(s) off. No time for jams when my family's safety is on the line. The semi route has me worried there.

This 870 looks good:
Model 870™ Folding Stock w/7-Shot Extension

I'm not sure I like that folding stock. Comes with an extended tactical choke though. I like the stock on this 1100 TAC-2:
Model 870™ TAC Desert Recon Series

This 870 looks good also if I want something more compact:
Remington Model 870™ Express® Express® 7-Shot Premier Dealer Exclusive

I like the bottom one with the pistol grip fore-end.

What's the deal with the Express line anyway? Is the quality there?

Thanks again.

#17 ·
This thread is getting close to this one; http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbull...what-ideal-configuration-remington-870-a.html

Read through it too, it has some good advice.

The express line is cheaper than the POLICE line and the wingmasters due to some MIM parts, and not near the care in fitting the express guns.
They are lesser quality, but still good strong guns with excellent product support from both Remington and aftermarket companies.
I own wingmasters and a police 1187... I still choose my express 870 hd for home defense duty because it has everything needed and nothing that is not.

Dont get caught up in the tactical this and that, the sole purpose of that is to seperate your money from your wallet. Keep it simple, and I promise you you will be better off in the long run.

#18 ·
I'll throw in my 0.02.

First I wouldn't worry about magnum loads, over penertration could be an issue with those, for HD, a 2 3/4 inch or 3 inch shell of 00 should do the job just fine.

Semi's can be less reliable, but are getting better.

I personally like Mossbergs, and have a 20 inch barrel version with the 7 shot tube. When I got mine I got a good deal on it. Also, when we draw shotguns from the armory here to train with for deployment, we draw out Mossbergs, if that means anything to ya. The Marines trust Mossbergs, which I like cause I'm already familiar with the weapon.

#20 ·
I have seen and shot the 590s and I agree. They are much stronger than the 500s. As far as the autos go, I would rather have the pump gun for combative purposes, any day of the week.

#21 ·
as far as the saige it is a classic ak pattern but its terribly ugly compared to other weapons from that family. then again its just as reliable as anything else form that family and bg's shouldn't realy have long enough to be offended by the ugly shotgun anyway.

#24 ·
Yeah, the 870 Police is very very nice...but I like my 590A1 a little bit better. The heavier barrel makes shooting full-power rounds much more pleasant. And, of course, the safety location. Sold my 870 to a buddy who kept buggin' me.

#27 · (Edited)
I got my 870 Express years ago when steel shot was mandated for waterfowl hunting, and I wanted a less-dainty gun for getting knocked around in a boat, splashed with salt water, etc. A few years later I picked up an 18" barrel with rifle sights and screw-in chokes at my favorite gun store in their "closeout" bin for maybe $50. That's the long gun that sits in the closet now, stoked with 4 rounds of buckshot in the mag and extra rounds in a cuff on the stock. Absolutely, drop-dead reliable, and the adjustable rifle sights let me center slugs and buckshot out to 50 yards (ghost ring sights would be a preference, though).

My years of bird hunting with a S+W 1000 auto make the 870's button safety location preferable to me, compared to a tang-mounted safety. I did a little polishing work on the spring detent on the button to make it a bit smoother, plus I found the action bars on the 870 had some rough edges (shear lips from stamping) so those were stoned out to make a very smooth action.

Re the use of an 1100 for HD, the edge goes to the 870 for simplicity, but the 1100 has an incredibly good reliability record with the trap and skeet competition shooters who think nothing of a thousand rounds a week. Granted that target ammo burns very cleanly, but even with hunting/defense loads the gas system is anything but finicky. With the 1100 (with standard 2-3/4” chamber) you don’t get the 870’s flexibility to mix-n-match 3-inch magnum loads with light loads, but realistically, 3-inch magnums aren’t real popular in the law enforcement and defense arenas.

Two last comments about the 1100: if you’re shooting from behind cover, the autoloader won’t require you to expose one hand on the fore-end to reload. Also, much has been made of the sound of racking a round into the chamber with a pump… while that’s neat, the sound of pulling back the bolt and releasing it on an autoloading shotgun is not vastly different, and certainly no less intimidating than racking the slide on a 1911.

Having [belatedly] read the Remington note about the differences between the Police and Express models, I guess I'm lucky in that my 870 Express is an early (c. 1987) model with all the good parts - ball-detent forend cap, metal trigger guard, machined extractor + ejector; pre-MIM vintage. FWIW, the S/N is W5246xxM.

#28 ·
I've got a good many shotguns with evey type of action. Currently my HD is a Benelli M2. I think the Remington 870 that has been widely suggested to you is a very good choice (certainly less expensive than my M2).

Keep in mind that while an auto can malfunction, a pump shotgun can also, if while under stress you happen to short-rack it.

Good luck with your choice.

#29 ·
You guys are leaving out us left handed folks. The Mossberg is my #1 choice due to the position of the safety. I don't think you can go wrong with the 870 or the 590, and as a lefty the safety position is the clincher. For the record I own a 500 that has over 10,000 (magnum steel loads) rounds through it (hunting gun not tactical). I have replaced the barrel twice from steel shot usage, but the action just keeps on truckin!!

#30 ·
I know it's all in just what's comfortable for you but I'd stick with the 870. I have a 12 and a 20 in 870. The 20 is my favorite and believe it or not, it's a youth model. It hangs in my closet loaded with buckshot. I choose it over the 12 for HD because it's so short and easy to handle. You can't beat the 870 for reliability, I've never had a problem with either of them.

#31 ·
Buy the Remington,the Mossburg 500 series is a pain to field strip and put back together.I had to service a large number of 500's in Iraq,they were not holding up as well as the Remingtons....since most of the internals are stamped sheet metal....the wear from sand and dust was killing them almost as fast as the small arms shop could fix them.:nono:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.