Eyeballing a new HD 12 gauge.

This is a discussion on Eyeballing a new HD 12 gauge. within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm looking for opinions on an 18.5" 12 gauge for strictly home defense. I've been doing a lot of searching and reading here and still ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Eyeballing a new HD 12 gauge.

Distinguished Member Array Wasabi's Avatar

Eyeballing a new HD 12 gauge.

I'm looking for opinions on an 18.5" 12 gauge for strictly home defense. I've been doing a lot of searching and reading here and still have some questions.
    -Is a semi going to be less reliable than a pump (enough so to stick with a pump)?
    -How about magnum loads? Do I need them? I notice that the Remington 1100 semis won't accept magnums? Any semis that do?
    -What's the deal with Mossberg's Marinecoat? They say it helps make a smoother action as well as being more durable.

The big contenders from reading here and my travels to local gunshops/shows are variants of the Mossberg 500, Remington 870/1100 and possibly a Saiga 12. I'm leaning towards the Mossberg 500 Tactical 6 shot w/Marinecoat (OK, it looks cool):
    http://www.mossberg.com/images/Mossb.../New/50278.jpg

I'd also like to snag a deal on a Saiga 12 if I can. The Saiga looks like a lot of gun for the money even though the price is creeping up. I also like the safety location on the Mossbergs better than the Remingtons. Any must have changes to either that I should do for a HD shotgun (various chokes, sights, etc.) outside of adding a tactical light? Any others to consider?

Thanks for any input.

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    Id buy the 870... proven over and over to be the better choice.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Thanks SIXTO,

I do like the 870s but again, prefer the safety location on the 500s. From reading here, both the Mossberg and Remingtons have good reputations but like anything else I guess everyone has their favorite. What features of the Remington make it a better choice over the Mossberg 500 or even Saiga 12 for dedicated home defense? I haven't found anything consistent here to say one is better than the other reliability wise. I guess if I were to be shooting it a lot there seems to be the opinion that the Remington is built SLIGHTLY better but the Mossberg is no slouch in that department either.

Thanks for your opinion.

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wasabi View Post
    I haven't found anything consistent here to say one is better than the other reliability wise.
    Here is what I found in my research.

http://www.tacticalshotgun.ca/conten...e_870_590.html

I, too, am looking for a HD shotgun. I decided on the Remington just based on the research I have done.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

Quote Originally Posted by exactlymypoint View Post
    Here is what I found in my research.

tacticalworks.ca!

I, too, am looking for a HD shotgun. I decided on the Remington just based on the research I have done.

Great article. Thanks for the link. Doing a quick read there they do say that the Remington is built slightly better and smoother. In the end though for the money the Mossberg is still a good choice. I guess if I were to be putting 5000 rounds through it, the premium on the Remington is worth it. Really, the extra few bucks isn't going to kill me for the Remington. I'm just interested in getting what's best for my intended use. Flip a coin or scrap both and go with the Saiga?

I have an 870 Express that I love. The finish could be a bit better, but for a low buck gun that is reliable, so the finish is not the best.

It will take up to 3 inch shells.
    Aaron

If you don't protect your self, who will?

Ive had my eye on the 590 SP for a long time, and my wife got me one for Christmas.

I like both weapons though, I have fired the 870 at my local range, and enjoyed the heck out of it. After doing that for a while, I got the bug again to buy a shotgun, but I couldn't rent a Mossberg locally to try it out.

Like that article says ( a very nice read too, I must say), I don't think you can go wrong with either. I do wish Mossberg had put more into the fit and finish of the receiver though, but thats just me being particular.

Anyway, I really love my 590SP. It also takes up to 3 inch shells.

What im finding out is that a few folks who even have HD shotguns, have both, the 870 and the 590. Silly yes, desirable, yes. heh.

I will probably end up with both.

I know nothing of the Saiga, and so I cant say anything.

Administrator
    The reason I say the 870 is better is because of finish and parts available. I think most everybody owns an 870 of some flavor, and every police dept in the country has 870's.
    If you like the Mossberg, I'd buy the 590. Its more robust and has a better finish. Truth be told, I prefer Mossbergs safety location too; but I dont use it and the other advantages far out weigh that.

Any of them will do the trick just fine, but I think long term you will be happier with an 870
    "Just blame Sixto"

Senior Member Array Knuckledrager's Avatar
    Stick with the 870! I've had a hell of a time keeping our aging fleet of Mossberg 500s up and running. Those problems include dealing with Mossberg. Not only is the 870 more durable it is of a better, more rugged design. Remington is easy to deal with and the are far more parts available for the the 870. We will never buy another Mossberg.
    "The liberty of the individual is no gift of civilization. It was greatest before there was any civilization." Sigmund Freud

Administrator
    I think knuckledrager and myself have like backrounds... we say these things for a reason.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Senior Member Array Knuckledrager's Avatar
    Me thinks that you are correct Sir.
    "The liberty of the individual is no gift of civilization. It was greatest before there was any civilization." Sigmund Freud

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    Even though I am a Benelli fan....

Sixto and Knuckledrager are spot on for what they are saying.

Remington 870's are worth it, and if you do some shopping you can find some good deals.

In the words of Sixto I "can't hardly toss a cat without it landing on a pile of" 870's. Heck, my father has ended up with 3 free ones sitting in the safe over the last 2 years because people have given them to him for one reason or another.

I think the 870's are probably one of the best "first" shotguns anyone can get.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

Thanks for the replies everyone,

What about the Remington 1100s? Should I avoid a semi for HD? Also, that Saiga-12 is still tempting for around $500.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Wasabi View Post
    Thanks for the replies everyone,

What about the Remington 1100s? Should I avoid a semi for HD? Also, that Saiga-12 is still tempting for around $500.
    The 1100's are great sporting guns, probably not the best choice for a HD gun. I'd much rather have the do and feed anything pump action.
    The Saigas... see my signature. Chuck Norris knows what he is talking about.

Here is the best deal going for the average homeowner; GunBroker.com guns: Remington 870 Express HD 12 ga 7 Shot 18" Matte (item: 89757971 ends: Jan-13-08 05:53:48 AM) these can be found at this price anywhere.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links