AR10 v. M1A ?

This is a discussion on AR10 v. M1A ? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have been reviewing old post but did not find one that compared these two platforms. Would like to hear from those who have experice ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: AR10 v. M1A ?

AR10 v. M1A ?

I have been reviewing old post but did not find one that compared these two platforms.

Would like to hear from those who have experice with these two platforms. I am looking at one of these as my rifle purchase this year. I am really looking for something to fill the hole in my own collection. The only other rifles I have are a .22 and a 30-30. Think I would prefer teh .308 over the .223 as for general capabilities. Would like this rifle not only for protection but also for potential hunting. Any and all suggestions would be great.

I know I am also looking at something that is fun to take to the range plink at some further distances than 100yd.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    I've shot both quite a bit.

The AR10 has more options to it than the M1A. The sighting system is better, meaning that you can put whatever you want on it. The M1A is very limited and any system must bolt to the receiver in a way so as not to interfere with the ejection process.
    Both are fairly heavy, but the AR is a bit shorter than the standard configuration M1A.

If it were me buying one or the other, I'd give the nod to the AR10 for the simple reason of parts interchangeability. AR's are pretty much modular guns, whereas with M1A what you see is what you get. The AR has the option of longer or shorter stocks, a multitude of different styled grips, and about any length barrel you can find. You can customize it with different sights, colors, hand guard configurations and make it exactly how you want it to be. You can put lasers,flashlights,front hand grips on it. Any of that is much easier to do with a Picatinny forearm whereas the M1A is much harder to do.

Both of them are very capable platforms.

For hunting, I'd stick with the .308, especially if wanting to reach out there a ways. I'm not a big fan of the .223 for anything but varmints, I know a lot of deer have been killed with it, but a lot have been lost too.
    For medium range shots out to 600 yards, the .223 is much more wind sensitive than the .308.

I don't currently own one, but I wouldn't feel bad if I had either one. Do yourself a favor and buy both.
    Thats my .02 on it.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Thanks for the thoughts. I the customizing that the AR allows certainly pulls me toward it.

well currently the M1A has a variety of aptions as well new stocks are on the market that allow everything the AR has. personaly i'd go for a long barreled M1A and the bullpup stock. with a 1x scope mounted foreward enough that i can quickly mount the aimpoint 3x behind the main optic. but thats just me.

here are some usefull links for options.
    Short Rifle Stock Systems
    Sage International, Ltd.
    Fulton Armory: M14Parts
    Last edited by bobcat35; January 12th, 2008 at 06:58 PM. Reason: added links
    "Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result."
    -Winston Churchill
    Every well-bred petty crook knows: the small concealable weapons always go to the far left of the place setting.
    -Inara, firefly

Senior Member Array Knuckledrager's Avatar
    I would opt for the M1A. Its design comes from an already proven battle rifle, and it has proven itself to be just about bomb proof. There a variety of accessories to address just about any need (or want) you may have. It can be outfitted to fill the role of anything from long range precision to CQB. I do question the wisdom of the latter though. Even an accurized M1A is more reliable than the average AR10. (YMMV) Did I mention that it is hard to break? Easy to maintain and shoot too.
    "The liberty of the individual is no gift of civilization. It was greatest before there was any civilization." Sigmund Freud

Lead Moderator
    I would suggest researching this further on AR15.COM
    plenty of opinions and users or the AR10 platform , as well as quite a few who have M1A's.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

IMHO it's hard to beat a M1A1.
    quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Personally I have the M1A and have no desire to have the AR10. Both are good weapons and both are about the same weight (~9 lbs) and both can acheave the same accuracy. After having used the M16 in the military I would guess that the AR10 it prety easy to learn to shoot and maintain, but the M1A platform is more reliable than the AR in my opinion. I also am in a position where the "ugly black gun" would cause a problem at home, the M1a does not (don't ask me why, I don't understand it either).

In either case you will be happy. Pick the one that apeals to you most, maintain it properly and you will have a good weapon that will be reliable and has the potential to fill most roles except that of a small calliber plinker or small game rifle (I would never use a .308 to try to teach somebody to shoot, nor would it use for squirl or rabbit).

Good luck with your decision.....

For What its Worth I went The M1A path due to Expensive Mags and possible parts problems with the Ar-10 all the makers who make a 308 are using proprietary parts so unlike the ar-15 most wont interchange

Quote Originally Posted by enigmaone View Post
    IMHO it's hard to beat a M1A1.
    thompson or carbine? though both are great for MOUT(but i'd rather the M2 carbine with the A1 stock)
    "Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result."
    -Winston Churchill
    Every well-bred petty crook knows: the small concealable weapons always go to the far left of the place setting.
    -Inara, firefly

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    The sighting system is better, meaning that you can put whatever you want on it. The M1A is very limited and any system must bolt to the receiver in a way so as not to interfere with the ejection process.
    Not nessicarily. The M1A can be had with several tactical scope mounting options that are on par with the AR platform. Springfield (and a few others) makes some add on rails for them and several model come with them on there. The two SOCOM models (SOCOM II and SOCOM 16) as well as the Scout Squad all have rails on them. And can accept any optic just like a AR and all of those forward of the ejection system. You don't have to just bolt the old type scope mount on them. Although that can be made to work. Many such set ups currently employed in Iraq and Afganistan. There M1A can make a very dependable and reliable solid tactical and sniper weapon... and does. It is employed that way in Combat today more than any AR type .308 platform is.

Senior Moderator
    The SOCOM is a good platform, but Im not too crazy about that forearm. After some serious shooting it wears the hand out. If I had one, Id have to get some of the rail protectors on it just to shoot it.

As short as it is, it sure does seem heavy.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cphilip View Post
    Many such set ups currently employed in Iraq and Afganistan. There M1A can make a very dependable and reliable solid tactical and sniper weapon... and does. It is employed that way in Combat today more than any AR type .308 platform is.
    That's true, but it won't be for long. The Army has adopted a .308 AR as its standard sniper rifle - it is replacing all the M24s and will eventually replace most of the M14s (if not all of them) being used now. NAVSOF - the last real users of the M14 until we un-mothballed some for the desert - has almost completely gone away from them as well.

Having used the M14 in combat - give me an AR. The M14 is robust and capable, but the optics mounting options are more limited and difficult, and the SOCOM versions with full rail systems are HEAVY. I see no reason to use one when there are similarly sized ARs for less money and less weight.

Now, if you just want a tack driver, you can pick either one and build them up to be incredibly accurate...
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

While your probably right... it will eventually replace it... but there are already lighter and better tactical versions of the M14 that dont have as much weight but I doubt they will get ordered over the AR platform.

and I too am not a fan of the SOCOM II's complete rail system.

I am a fan of the SOCOM 16 and Scout Squads simple front mount though. But... it can be a heavy beast. Some of them have been improved with some plastics making it closer.

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    The SOCOM is a good platform, but Im not too crazy about that forearm. After some serious shooting it wears the hand out. If I had one, Id have to get some of the rail protectors on it just to shoot it.

As short as it is, it sure does seem heavy.
    This is the one I favor. Its the shortest of them at 16" barrel (and very similar to the Scout Squad which is 18" barrel) and yea.. its heavy at like 9 pounds I think

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links