Target/ Sniper

This is a discussion on Target/ Sniper within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have a question for anyone whom might want to chime in . What if any are the decernable differences between a rifle set up ...

Thread: Target/ Sniper

Target/ Sniper

I have a question for anyone whom might want to chime in . What if any are the decernable differences between a rifle set up for target say med to long300/600 yards distance and a sniper rifle set up for same

2. Remove Ads

$2,000.00-$4,000.00
    It is not the Bill of Privileges. It is not the Bill of Permits. It is the Bill of Rights.

People should not be afraid of the government; the government should be afraid of the people.

cant answer that question but welcome to the forum from s.e. michigan.
    (SHERIFF BUFORD T. JUSTICE) "what the hell is
    the world coming too"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

U.S. ARMY FT.SILL, OKLA.

Administrator
    Yes.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I'd say a "sniper" rifle is more likely to have a sling, not be quite as heavy, probably have a mil-dot reticle. A target rifle could weigh 20 pounds and it wouldn't matter - in fact it might be nice. You wouldn't need to do quick estimations and holdovers - you can adjust your reticle for windage and elevation and take your time.

I'm not a sniper or a long range target shooter - this is just my thoughts. Chances that I'm wrong are pretty good. I'd say 50% at least.

Austin

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by aus71383 View Post
    I'd say a "sniper" rifle is more likely to have a sling, not be quite as heavy, probably have a mil-dot reticle. A target rifle could weigh 20 pounds and it wouldn't matter - in fact it might be nice. You wouldn't need to do quick estimations and holdovers - you can adjust your reticle for windage and elevation and take your time.

I'm not a sniper or a long range target shooter - this is just my thoughts. Chances that I'm wrong are pretty good. I'd say 50% at least.

Austin
    Youre right... depending on the role of the "sniper". That term is very generic and over used... so who knows how the rifle needs to be set up.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Ah I see. So possibly a Ninja-Sniper would have a rail or two, with some levels, wind indicators, computer data generators, a red dot sight for backup, and be magazine fed. A target rifle might be a single shot, chambered in a wildcat....

Austin

Thx
    I guess the term is over used didn't really think about that just looking for

an accurate rifle like Remington 700 . looked at so many sites l got confused.

Administrator
    A 700 is an excellent platform. Thats what I suggest for all new rifle shooters as they are easy to upgrade and fairly inexpensive to get up and running.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Senior Moderator
    Rifles are much the same.
    Even so, the average police sniper shot is only 72 yards

.One could have the same effect with a .22 shot in the eyeball.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Rifles are much the same.
    Even so, the average police sniper shot is only 72 yards

A .22 in the eye is going to have the same effect as a .308?

Where does that 72 yard figure come from?

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post

LOL......True, but a lot of deer are killed every year with a .22 too. That doesn't make it a good deer round though!

VIP Member
    Basically, a military/police sniper rifle will be built with accuracy and durability/survivability in mind, where as a pure 'target' rifle will sacrifice almost everything else in the name of accuracy. Weight, optics choices, and accessories will also be judged along similar lines.

And yes, a .22 at 72 yds right straight through the eyeball will probably be as fatal as a .308 in the same place. However, when you miss the eyeball by a fraction of an inch, the .308 will still put the BG down - the .22 is a lot more questionable...
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Having been a sniper for both the military in Viet Nam with the 173D Airborne Brigade and having been one for a sheriff's department I'll try to explain the differences...

A military sniper often engages targets that are enemies of his nation. Sometimes, the sniper engages TOOs (targets of opportunity) or enemy personnel that he strays across. Other times, the sniper engages specific targets in general combat, such as a set battle, or engages a specific target to produce a desired effect within the enemy's camp. In other words, in Viet Nam a sniper might be directed to shoot an enemy paymaster to take the money away from him and also retrieve valuable pay records involving the enemy troops. This kind of sniping, as I found out, really, really ticks off the enemy because the money that they've waited many months for is not available to them. We ended up with all sorts of documentation on who was and was not paid by the enemy. So, with military snipers it is legitimately shooting bad guys on the other side for one reason or another.

With police snipers, extreme accuracy is their goal. Police snipers do not have to shoot long distances. They just have to be accurate and hit the right target in close situations in which the victims' lives are at stake.

With both groups of snipers, the equipment must be top-of-the-line. Both groups must practice their craft until they are the best that they can be. Both groups of snipers use tactics that are different from tactics used by their peers. A SWAT sniper does not normally go in with the assault team nor does he function as a member of the outer security team either. A SWAT sniper is the eyes for his superiors peering into a building for visual information. A military sniper uses both accuracy and long range shooting abilities to drop enemy personnel that his peers do not have the ability nor the special gear needed to do.

So, in a nutshell a legal sniper is a person that is either a part of a military force or part of a police force that is authorized to use force when needed or when directed by his superiors. People who illegally use rifles, like the two punks a couple of years ago who shot and killed unarmed civilians around Washington, D.C., are not snipers. Those two guys were lowlifes who just happened to have an illegally obtained rifle (So much for anti-gun laws against stealing guns.) that hunted other people and illegally killed them. Those two guys are prime examples of American liberals at their worst.
    Imagine that you're an enemy soldier and you are surrounded by U.S. Army paratroopers on one side and American marines on the other side... Talk about a hopeless situation... That has got to be legal grounds for suicide!

Links