Home Defense Pump 12-- Loaded or Unloaded?

This is a discussion on Home Defense Pump 12-- Loaded or Unloaded? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I follow Sixto's pratice. My long gun is fully loaded with the chamber empty. I drop the hammer on the empty chamber. I no longer ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Home Defense Pump 12-- Loaded or Unloaded?

Senior Moderator
    I follow Sixto's pratice. My long gun is fully loaded with the chamber empty. I drop the hammer on the empty chamber.

I no longer use a shotgun for home defense, but now use a M-1carbine with a 30 round mag, but the mag is loaded and seated with the chamber empty.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

2. Remove Ads

Thanks for all of the input!

From the above it looks like 4 prefer to keep it loaded with the chamber empty and the other 9 prefer to have it loaded with a round chambered.

All other input/experience is welcome.

Ive been reading a BUNCH of threads on HD shotguns and should reach a decision by the end of the week or so (I dont move in until 2/1, anyway)

Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    I no longer use a shotgun for home defense, but now use a M-1carbine with a 30 round mag, but the mag is loaded and seated with the chamber empty.
    Are you not worried about over-penetration? I had thought about using either my Bushmaster M4 (.223) or Mini-14 (.223), but then figured that a 12gauge would both have more knockdown power and less over-penetration.

Tube full of 00Buck, chamber empty, safety off.

Quote Originally Posted by R.E.Lee View Post
    Are you not worried about over-penetration? I had thought about using either my Bushmaster M4 (.223) or Mini-14 (.223), but then figured that a 12gauge would both have more knockdown power and less over-penetration.

I think the recent stats on this show the .223 round to be less of a penetrator due to bullet break up than a Shotgun. But my wife says there is no such thing as over penetration...not sure what she means by that...

Keep the shotgun loaded with none in the chamber and safety off. No kids in the house anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Creature View Post
    Tube full of 00Buck, chamber empty, safety off.
    Ditto on my Mossy.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by R.E.Lee View Post
    No as stated a .223 has less penatration than 00.

I actually want the ability to shoot through my interior walls. I know the layout of my house, I know where the occupants are suppose to be.

I like the idea of 30rds of rapid fire controlibilty than 6 rounds of recoil intense pump action.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Quote Originally Posted by cphilip View Post
    I think the recent stats on this show the .223 round to be less of a penetrator due to bullet break up than a Shotgun. But my wife says there is no such thing as over penetration...not sure what she means by that...
    No as stated a .223 has less penatration than 00.
    I stand corrected.

I actually want the ability to shoot through my interior walls. I know the layout of my house, I know where the occupants are suppose to be.

I like the idea of 30rds of rapid fire controlibilty than 6 rounds of recoil intense pump action.
    Thats also something to think about. This apartment will likely be ~1200 SF and everyone I love (Girlfriend and Pitbull) will be in the same room as me at night so only the furniture in other rooms will suffer.

Im still leaning towards another 12gauge instead of using one of my .223s as who doesnt like the excuse to make another trip to the gun store?

Senior Moderator
    Just buy a shotgun and keep them both ready.

I always tell my wife just 1 more gun and I will be finished collecting!

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Just buy a shotgun and keep them both ready.

I always tell my wife just 1 more gun and I will be finished collecting!
    My thoughts..
    Ten Simple Rules of Life as a Gunfighter:
    #2: Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice.
    #10: Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.

VIP Member
    My HD situation is at my house with no nearby neighbors at all. If I lived in an apt. I'd have to re-think my situation due to over-penetration. Common walls shared between two adjoining apartments may only be composed of two half-inch pieces of drywall nailed to studs. Probably no insulation in interior walls either. Bullets will zip right through that "chalk". I noted one test online that mentioned that it took 12 pine boards to stop a .223, drywall took more! I know personally about a guy (it wasn't me) that had a ND in his apartment with a .45 1911, the FMJ zipped through his TV, and 2 1/2 interior walls (in other words a tv set, 5 pieces of drywall, and a 2X4 finally stopped it).

IMO be real careful about the possibility of discharging a firearm in apts/condos. If so, choose your cartridge/caliber/gauge carefully.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

I keep my handgun locked and loaded, but my shottie in the closet has a full tube but an empty chamber.

Remember, most long guns to include shotguns and those beloved AR's can be bump fired. In other words if in the heat of the moment and the dead of sleep you drop the weapon on a loaded chamber, it can fire. The act of loading the round of bird shot into the chamber requires conscious thought. Practiced, it becomes second nature to pull the pump down and up in one swoop as it comes out of its storage place.

I use bird shot (#4 or 6) for defense instead of buck because of the penetration issues. I figure two or three rounds of that stuff should be sufficient to complete the task. If more is needed, I have one more round in the tube and six more on the buttstock, plus the .45 at my side. I think short of an alien invasion, that should be enough to handle most any home encounter.
    "A simple way to take measure of a country is to look at how many want in ... And how many want out." British Prime Minister Tony Blair

tube full, safety off and hammer down on an empty chamber. My sidesaddle is also full and I have an extra shell ready to put in the tube once the first shot is chambered (if I have enough time). You might want to use your google-fu and search "cruiser ready shotgun"

Someone mentioned racking for effect. I only rack to make sure the shotgun has one in the chamber. However, I do fire for effect. The home invader hearing/not hearing chambering the first shot is irrelevant to me.

If the weapon is ready for home defense, there is one in the chamber, I keep several in the safe with loaded mags and empty chambers. But if it is out of the safe for use as a home defender, it is ready to roll mostly this is a tricked out 1100, shortie AR and an M-1 carbine (for the wife).

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar
    My 870 is kept in the safe with the tube and chamber full of 00, safety on. The safe is in the master BR walk-in, and the door is unlocked (but closed) whenever one of us is at home. In the morning the nightstand guns (one in the pipe) go in the safe and the door is locked.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links