Home Defense Pump 12-- Loaded or Unloaded?

This is a discussion on Home Defense Pump 12-- Loaded or Unloaded? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Loaded to the hilt with the Vang safety engaged on my Remington 11-87 Police shotgun....

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Home Defense Pump 12-- Loaded or Unloaded?

Loaded to the hilt with the Vang safety engaged on my Remington 11-87 Police shotgun.
    www.RKBAholsters.com

Check it out for quality reasonably priced leather and kydex Pocket, IWB and OWB Holsters......

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array hsuCowboy98's Avatar
    Patrol ready...hammer down on an empty chamber and the tube full. Its department policy in the vehicles, and I carry it over to home to.

Still can be put into action very fast, though stealth will be sacrificed if the situation arises.

Don't forget that the safety on a vast majority of shotguns is only a trigger cross block, not a hammer block. Therefore in theory if the gun was for some reason jarred it is possible for the hammer to fall w/o the trigger being pulled.
    Fear No Evil.

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    Always loaded.

Mossberg 500A "Breacher" - perfect apartment gun. I don't have a light mounted on it because I can hold the Surefire well while wrapping the same hand through the strap on the fore.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

Quote Originally Posted by R.E.Lee View Post

...The only reason I ask is that I think the pumping sound generated by a pump gun has got to be the most spine-tingling noise a robber could hear...

...Your thoughts?
    The sound of the trigger breaking will be the last noise an intruder hears in my house.

If someone is in my house uninvited the only 'spine-tingling' is coming from the impact of at least one round reduced recoil 00... I am not worried about scaring 'em, just stopping 'em.
    Get the U.N. out of the U.S.
    Get the U.S. out of the U.N.

Quote Originally Posted by SixBravo View Post
    Always loaded.

Mossberg 500A "Breacher" - perfect apartment gun.
    I had thought about a model like that, but whats the recoil/firing like with no stock? I know its silly/stupid to think about that on a house-only gun, but I kinda like buying a gun knowing that I could use it for a bunch of target practice without hating it...

Quote Originally Posted by rhinokrk View Post
    The sound of the trigger breaking will be the last noise an intruder hears in my house.

If someone is in my house uninvited the only 'spine-tingling' is coming from the impact of at least one round reduced recoil 00... I am not worried about scaring 'em, just stopping 'em.
    Thats an excellent point. Ive been thinking about this since some of the first responses came in. Its a very good point. He wont have warned me when he breaks into my apartment, I wont need to warn him...

Thanks to everyone for the posts!
    Ten Simple Rules of Life as a Gunfighter:
    #2: Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice.
    #10: Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.

Quote Originally Posted by R.E.Lee View Post
    I had thought about a model like that, but whats the recoil/firing like with no stock? I know its silly/stupid to think about that on a house-only gun, but I kinda like buying a gun knowing that I could use it for a bunch of target practice without hating it...
    Its not bad at all. But then again I'm a big dude, do some lifting, etc. The shotgun not having a buttstock is a big advantage in maneuverability (but you lose lots of accuracy). The kick is a typical 12 guage, but your arms absorb more of the recoil than your shoulder. Thus, your follow-up shots lose accuracy quickly. But the kick isn't nearly like taking a punch to the shoulder.

The primary concern I have with it is when I'm doing aimed fire. Because I don't have a buttstock, I have to make damned sure I hold the gun out far enough that the recoil doesn't force me to punch myself in the jaw. I've shot skeet with it and its just a blast! Just.. sorta scary on those second shots.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

Administrator
    There are some pretty good ways to carry a shotgun with a proper stock making it just as short as the pistol grip ones... so they are really no advantage other than looking like you belong in some B movie.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Let me add another option, here's how I leave my 870 leaning up against my bed. With the weapon empty, pump the action (cocking) and push the safety on. Then load the tube (in my case, an extended with 00 buckshot). Lay it down. I've practiced hitting the release and racking the slide, while disengaging the safety. Not only gives you one hell of an audible warning, but leaves you ready to fight. Best thing about this method is an unauthorized person (child or intruder) probably won't be able to figure out how to make the weapon work. I've also installed a wonderful Surefire forestock. It's like a laser sight for a shotgun. As the light beam spreads, it almost matches the spread of 00 buck.

Administrator
    Why does everyone want to give the ever mystical pump action audible warning? It makes no sense to me, other than being nonsense repeated over the gun counter year in and out.

I think I'll just shout "ready or not, here I come!" beforehand.
    Last edited by SIXTO; January 18th, 2008 at 12:01 PM. Reason: spellin'
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    . I think I'll just shout "ready or not, here I come!" beforehand.

Sixbravo, Thanks for the report on the stock-less model...
    Ten Simple Rules of Life as a Gunfighter:
    #2: Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice.
    #10: Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.

Why does everyone want to give the every mystical pump audible warning? It makes no sense to me, other than being nonsense repeated over the gun counter year in and out.

That's funny!! How about "Apples, peaches, pumpkin pie, whose not ready, holler I"

Why does everyone want to give the ever mystical pump action audible warning? It makes no sense to me, other than being nonsense repeated over the gun counter year in and out.

Agreed. I don't see much point in it. The jerk in my house made his last mistake.

Sixto: I'm not gonna doubt what you're saying about the stock'd guns having just as much maneurvability. Just kind of curious if you could shoot me a link on some. PM or on this thread would work.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review

It is called "short stocking". Tucking the stock under your arm makes the full-length shotgun more manageable in a close quarters environment (building search, etc.). The shotgun can be both maneuvered and fired from this position.

The pistol grip only has other disadvantages as well - combat loading, one handed operation, etc...

Randy

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by SixBravo View Post
    Agreed. I don't see much point in it. The jerk in my house made his last mistake.

Sixto: I'm not gonna doubt what you're saying about the stock'd guns having just as much maneurvability. Just kind of curious if you could shoot me a link on some. PM or on this thread would work.
    Randy beat me to it. Its rather simple, but works well.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Hmm. Good info. I'm looking to upgrade my stock to one of the sweet Knoxx ones. I'll have to give this stuff a shot. Thanks for the info!
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links