Home Defense Pump 12-- Loaded or Unloaded?

This is a discussion on Home Defense Pump 12-- Loaded or Unloaded? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Im currently deciding on a 12gauge to use for HD in my new apartment. I already have an XD9 that I carry daily and which ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Home Defense Pump 12-- Loaded or Unloaded?

Home Defense Pump 12-- Loaded or Unloaded?

Im currently deciding on a 12gauge to use for HD in my new apartment. I already have an XD9 that I carry daily and which will be in the nightstand loaded with 16+1.

Also in the Apartment will be my Beretta 12gauge trap gun, though because the barrel is so long, I dont think it would make the best HD shotgun.

This brings me to the thread title. Do you all who own pump shotguns for HD leave them fully loaded (1 in chamber, and magazine full) or do you leave the chamber empty with the magazine full?

The only reason I ask is that I think the pumping sound generated by a pump gun has got to be the most spine-tingling noise a robber could hear. Therefore, I almost think it would be a better preventative measure to allow an intruder to be able to hear the action while chambering a round (leave the chamber open, until necessary).

Your thoughts?

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array Natureboypkr's Avatar
    loaded of course, like someone posted on here in another thread, "an uncocked firearm is like an expensive paper weight"
    Mixed Martial Arts Record= 2-0.......Kyokushin Karate Record=5-0

USMC.....helping enemies of America die for their countries since 1775

Quote Originally Posted by R.E.Lee View Post
    I think the pumping sound generated by a pump gun has got to be the most spine-tingling noise a robber could hear. Therefore, I almost think it would be a better preventative measure to allow an intruder to be able to hear the action while chambering a round (leave the chamber open, until necessary).

Your thoughts?
    I think there are situations in which you don't want the "BG" to hear ANYTHING.
    Such as if you come around the corner and he already has a gun in his hand - do you want to rack the pump and see if he beats you to the trigger? I don't.
    Plus, keeping one in the chamber can't hurt from the "deterrent" point of view - you can rack the pump again and make the sound, you'll just loose one shell.

If there are no kids around, I say keep 'er full.

Peace,
    Pete Zaria.
    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.
    - Margaret Mead

"Booger Hook Off the Bang Switch" - unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Natureboypkr View Post
    loaded of course, like someone posted on here in another thread, "an uncocked firearm is like an expensive paper weight"
    Thats true. I ALWAYS keep my XD with one in the pipe.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete Zaria View Post
    I think there are situations in which you don't want the "BG" to hear ANYTHING.
    Such as if you come around the corner and he already has a gun in his hand - do you want to rack the pump and see if he beats you to the trigger? I don't.
    Plus, keeping one in the chamber can't hurt from the "deterrent" point of view - you can rack the pump again and make the sound, you'll just loose one shell.
    Thats an excellent point.

I had thought about something like a Benelli M2 of M4 (My father owns an M4 and Ive fired it quite a bit), but then started to wonder if the pump aspect wasnt going to be an advantage for an HD gun. Im thinking Ill go with an 870 Police model or a Mossy 590..

If there are no kids around, I say keep 'er full.
    Our only child is our female Pitbull. (an excellent first line of defense, I hear )

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by R.E.Lee View Post
    The only reason I ask is that I think the pumping sound generated by a pump gun has got to be the most spine-tingling noise a robber could hear. Therefore, I almost think it would be a better preventative measure to allow an intruder to be able to hear the action while chambering a round (leave the chamber open, until necessary).
    Forget about this.... its nothing more than gun counter commando banter, often repeated because it sounds nice and tough.

I like to keep the tube full and hammer down. Its ready for action no releases to mess with, no safety issues just pump and go.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I like to keep the tube full and hammer down. Its ready for action no releases to mess with, no safety issues just pump and go.
    So are you saying unloaded, pick it up, rack it and showtime? If so, why? Seems counter to all the other advice of having one in the pipe.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by exactlymypoint View Post
    So are you saying unloaded, pick it up, rack it and showtime? If so, why? Seems counter to all the other advice of having one in the pipe.
    No, I'm saying its loaded, but with nothing in the chamber. Why keep one in the chamber? Its not a pistol, its a long gun. If you have time to deploy a long gun, you have time to get a round in the chamber. If you keep it like I suggest, it takes no extra time and you bypass all the safety concerns of keeping in ready to rock as is.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    I don't use a defensive long gun currently,my vote is one in the chamber. As aforementioned, if felt needed "for effect" you can always lose a roung by pumping the action. If/when I get a HD its going to be either a Mossberg 590,wich I could probable sacrafice a round (if 9/10 rounds of 12 gauge aint taking down the BG,...I'm in trouble.)or if I get a Saiga12 to match my .410,well ,...theres no pumping action to sound "badarse"

"To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

VIP Member
    My Benelli M2 is loaded to max with one in the pipe, and lays by my bedside every night. I live way out of town and leo response time is going to be slow, so I'm on my own for a while. Compared to pistols, shotguns have such a low capacity (6 for mine) I'm using every bit of magazine space available. Personally, I'm not racking it and/or wasting a shell for effect on a BG, I'll use my voice if necessary.

BTW the kids are no longer in the house.......grown and gone.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Senior Member Array f8lranger4x4's Avatar
    I always keep mine loaded.

Mine is loaded with one chambered.
    Welcome to Tennessee, the patron state of shootin' stuff.--SHOOTER

My Mossberg is loaded but none in the pipe. I have a handgun that would be my first option and it's ready to go. As I would have plenty of time to grab the shotgun I don't see any reason to have one in the chamber.
    Allen

-"I may get killed with my own gun, but he's gonna have to beat me to death with it, 'cause it's going to be empty." -Clint Smith

Mine's in the safe because of the 8 year old, but it's fully loaded. You give up nothing and gain 1 more round.

All my HD long guns are loaded with the chambers empty. I keep the Kimber cocked and locked at all times and if I have enough time to get a long gun out of the safe, I will have enough time to chamber a round. I keep my guns that way to help avoid a ND
    Now if you have no kids and your only HD gun is a shotgun then by all means make it battle ready.
    CRIME..... LAW DEFINES, POLICE ENFORCE, CITIZENS PREVENT!

FOUR BOXES KEEP US FREE: [1] SOAP [2] BALLOT [3] JURY [4] AMMO!

I keep mine loaded but they are locked up with life jacket shotgun locks. I will have the cycle the pump and the wife will have to release the bolt on her 1100. Noise will be made but the guns will end up pointed at the bedroom door while waiting for the police to arrive.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links