The Trio is complete...

This is a discussion on The Trio is complete... within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; In my quest to fulfill my "Cold war" Removable Mag Semi Auto's collection I stepped off path just a little bit here for a minute. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Trio is complete...

The Trio is complete...

In my quest to fulfill my "Cold war" Removable Mag Semi Auto's collection I stepped off path just a little bit here for a minute. Decided to fill the Trio before moving on. That last one being the Garand that many of you already have. I had just obtained the M14/M1A along the original lines of my intent. Which was to take care of removable magazine Semi Auto's first as those would be the most likely to be banned in the future (Lets hope not but ya gotta be aware and careful). Don't have great pictures of them all yet but these will have to do for now...

Today I received my choice to fill the M14/M1A gap. I chose this SOCOM 16...

And, on the way in the mail tomorrow is the M1 Garand...

And as you know I already had the M1 Carbine...

Now... after I get over this financial set back (gathering Mags and Ammo for these), I will be back on the quest to finish the Cold War collection. Among the strongest candidates are the FAL. As a I already have a AR15, a Uzi and two examples of AK's (Type 3 clone and a AK74). The FAL should have been next but I felt it was time to finish the USGI trio before moving on to that.

The other Girls...

2. Remove Ads

Very nice collection. Enjoy!
    Lex et Libertas — Semper Vigilo, Fortis, Paratus, et Fidelis!

"Not only do the people who put their lives on the line to protect the rest of us deserve better, we all deserve better than to have our own security undermined by those who undermine law enforcement." -Thomas Sowell

TyC
    Great collection! oh btw, i know you from stellaspeed.
    "Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Assistant Administrator
    Love the ''girls'' - can I date them

That SOCOM is real nice - what's the optic?

Do get a FAL if you can - I think out of all my semi's that is my favorite - IMO a true MBR. Also I have a Century L1A1 - not bad but it needed some tweaks to run properly. Definately prefer the FAL tho other still has some grin factor!

Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Quote Originally Posted by TyC View Post
    Great collection! oh btw, i know you from stellaspeed.
    Oh COOL! A scooterist here! Neat! You ever get over to the IS BBS any lately?

P95,

That optic is a crap Red Dot of some sorta Chinese variety. Something I had around. It does work but its not much at all. Not something I want to keep on there. I put it onto see if I could live with the eye relief of a Red Dot or should I just go with a Holographic. I am deciding between a REAL Aimpoint or a EOTech. I am leaning to the EOTech because of the sight position being so forward so I decided to see if it was livable with a red dot type or not. It might just be...

Oh yea... a FAL has to be next. Its been high on my list for a while. It and the M1A are in the same price range. So I decided to fill the M1's out first and do it and the Garand and be done with that. Just have not ran into the right FAL or just missed one or something has been the case. I gotta recover here for a month or so and get the funds back up, but in the mean time I am watching. Let me know if you see one. Budget could stand to stay under a grand. But thank the Lord I will finally have something that shoots the same ammo as something else I have!

Assistant Administrator
    ''Recover'' ... haha ... been there

I'll mention if I see one but mine in fact came up thru shere luck - a cop over in Reading PA put an ad' in to sell his and a Romanian SKS - finished up going to get both from him ... boy was my pocket lighter for a while (long while!). Sometimes it's a waiting game to find what we want, at a bearable price.

I have actually employed a few of these cheapo Chinese red dots and have to say - they can be not bad - matter of luck I think. A Bushnell Holosite might save you a bit compared with Eotech.

People joke about my scope on the FAL - but while I admit sight aquisition is a smidgeon slower ... it does well. I happened to find a spare Leupold and so on it went!
    Chris - P95

Is there any such thing as a "spare Leupold"? I love those things...

Had any luck with the Bushnell Holosights? I have had some decent luck with my little scope they made on my .22. I am leaning to the Holo for this application. Seeing a EOTech 552.A65 for $399. Sort of tempting.

Assistant Administrator
    Had any luck with the Bushnell Holosights?
    Well - not on rifle - just have the one and that lives on my BFR ----- hate the look of it on such a nice revo but as a sight it is superb .... despite my pretty hot loads . 100 yards at steel plate ... ''ping'' ever time

Mine tho takes ''N'' cells ... no biggie cos it was only $169 on offer but from choice I'd go with the version using ''AA'' cells.

Chris - P95

Hmm... that is reasonable for sure. And its holding up good eh?

Assistant Administrator
    And its holding up good eh?
    Yep - probably now on batt set #3 (over approx three years or so), partly cos I left the durned thing on once .... but as for soaking up the punishment from my hot 45-70 loads, no problem - holds setting 100% glad to say
    Chris - P95

Hey look at this one... I think its just a Low Profile of same... but is AAA battery... not a bad price either

Bushnell Holosight XLP

I found one reference to that EOTech makes that thing for Bushnell. Heard anything like that?

Wonder if this Low Profile one will be low enough to co witness with the Rifles iron sights? Or too low and the front sight interfere?

Assistant Administrator
    I have a suspicion there is a link between Eotech and Bushnell ..... not confirmed.

That XLP looks good - and good price too - lower profile than the ''AA'' battery version of mine which is nice. True tho I doubt it would like .454 punishment LOL.

Low it is but IMO even if front sight is a bit ''in the way'' - more than likely the spot will not be dead on that plus your focus should help the front sight to be less apparent. Always remove front sight anyways.
    Chris - P95

Yea.. it specifically says not to use it on the .454. Anything up to that though. The one you got is the only one they recommend for the .454...

I guess I could take a chance on it for that. If it doesn't work out on this gun can always use it on something else. Might give it a go. Thanks for the heads up.

Beautiful collection...Be sure to hang on to them all...History has always been best told through the tools that were used.

Senior Moderator
    Very Nice
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links