SKS v. Saiga AK

SKS v. Saiga AK

This is a discussion on SKS v. Saiga AK within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; In the 7.62x39 cal - which inho is better? My research: - SKS cheaper initially, and to set up. - SKS not designed for magazines, ...

Thread: SKS v. Saiga AK

SKS v. Saiga AK

In the 7.62x39 cal - which inho is better?

My research:

- SKS cheaper initially, and to set up.
    - SKS not designed for magazines, mags in turn are anal pains...

- Saiga AK is approved by local dealer (via phone convo)
    - Saiga is made for detachable mags.
    - Saiga is 2x initial cost, and 4x cost in magazines.
    Some people don't deserve saving.

....the water is almost at a boil

You can mod your Saiga out to take normal AK mags for about 20 bucks. A guy on the Saiga12 forums makes a parts kit to do it. However, when you do this, you have to have a certain number of American made parts so that it is 922r compliant.

Personally, I think that's worth it anyway because the trigger absolutely needs to be changed. It's garbage. Once you get past that, mine shoots 1.5-2 MOA with Wolf garbage ammo. Reliable as any AK. Mangles the crap out of brass though.
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

In the 7.62x39 cal - which inho is better?
    inho?
    In my honest opinion? (IMHO)
    SKS v. Saiga AK
    Personally, I can't even compare an SKS to an AK---make/manufacturer don't make much of a difference in that aspect so long as it's a genuine AK. I've had two SKS rifles in my time, but they are gone. I still have an AK and you won't get it from me alive. Arsenal SLR-95. To reiterate---an SKS is an SKS, and an AK is an AK. If I had to choose who would be allowed to eat my 7.62x39 ammo, the AK would be invited to the dinner table every time, and the SKS would have to search the neighborhood looking for scraps.

The "n" was supposed to be a "y" (In your honest opinion) - Thanks for the post though, Ram

Sammy, link me?

The "n" was supposed to be a "y" (In your honest opinion)
    Well, one never knows. I didn't mean to pick at spelling (Lord knows I'm on way too many forums to even think of that). Just that I don't want to get left out on current shorthand and all. That's why I questioned it. I'm trying to work on my tactfulness replying to posts, try not to offend anyone (although the mood sometimes strikes me to do so). I promise to always give my humble, honest opinion, and if you feel the need to thank me, then by all means---you're welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Mercalf View Post
    Sammy, link me?
    forum.saiga-12.com/ That's the forum. A wealth of information over there for Saiga products. It takes a little work, but it's all easily doable yourself if you're interested in that sort of thing. Imo, probably the best bang for the buck for an AK.

EDIT: Here's a link to the guy from those forums that sells the guide kits so it will take standard AK mags.

dinzagarms
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

Well I have a Yugoslavian AK, a Saiga, 2 Yugoslavian sks's and 1 Russian SKS.
    Out of my 2 AK style weapons the Saiga is the more accurate. They were great buys when I bought mine. I paid $199 for it a few years ago before the AWB sunset. It seems they go for more now and make them a little less attractive than a regular AK. It is a good shooter though. These days I don't shoot my saiga much. My favorite 7.62x39 rifles to shoot and the most accurate ones I own are my Yugoslavian SKSs. I love these things! I've even killed a deer with one. I paid 179 for my first one and 149 for my second. Right now they seem to be going for around 200. Even at that I consider them a great buy. If I was starting from scratch and could only have one or the other I would go with a good Yugo SKS over a Saiga. If you like to tinker with stuff and convert a Saiga to a more traditional AK layout go for it. Me I just opted to buy another AK. AKs can be had pretty reasonable these days.
    "Some people go to bed with Lucifer..........then cry, cry, cry when they don't greet the day with God."

VIP Member
    OK. Color me stupid, but what exactly is a Saiga AK (compared to a regular AK).

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    I can say Saiga makes one AWSOME weapon,I love my Izhmash Saiga 410

"To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

Quote Originally Posted by craze View Post
    My favorite 7.62x39 rifles to shoot and the most accurate ones I own are my Yugoslavian SKSs. I love these things! I've even killed a deer with one. I paid 179 for my first one and 149 for my second. Right now they seem to be going for around 200. Even at that I consider them a great buy. If I was starting from scratch and could only have one or the other I would go with a good Yugo SKS over a Saiga.

I heard that the Saiga's were better from a seperate source Since you have both, and say that the SKS is more accurate and better to shoot, I'm leaning a bit more towards that. I don't like the fact that it doesn't have magazines...but I suppose stripper clips aren't THAT bad

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    Someone responded to your other thread with a Remington bolt action that looks nasty! Check it out....

Remington Model 700 SPS Tactical Premier Dealer Exclusive

If you are going with a 7.62x39, I have a Yugo SKS (the only thing Yugoslavia ever produced that works!) and it is ACCURATE with iron sights. Forget the scope. We both know someone who has one, all tricked-out within your price range. Saiga makes a good gun and you could certainly do worse! Again, it all comes down to what feels right. I would suggest you find a local store that has the Saiga (Pace?) and hold it, shoulder it, sight it and see if it fits you. Remember, a picture doesn't compensate for your long arms! Then drive a bit east and see the SKS with the Dragonuf stock. You did that exercise with your pistol and with your .300 so why deviate now?

Magazines or stipper clips.....it still is a training issue and once you learn how to load efficiently, that debate will end :)
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    OK. Color me stupid, but what exactly is a Saiga AK (compared to a regular AK).
    A Saiga is an AK stretched, with some "proprietary" parts so that the AKMs and sporting Saigas aren't interchangable. Same basic gun. If you look at the link to the conversion kit, you can see the external shifting that needs to be done. I haven't done one, so I can't speak about the "innerds."

VIP Member
    Thanks Rob!

Links