Tactical slings....

This is a discussion on Tactical slings.... within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; i know im risking looking like a mall ninja but here goes... i really want to put some sort of tactical sling on my bushmaster ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tactical slings....

Tactical slings....

i know im risking looking like a mall ninja but here goes...

i really want to put some sort of tactical sling on my bushmaster ORC. i want one that lets the rifle hang in front or to the side of me.

its not like i will be using it in a tactical scenario, but i take random walks through the pasture in search of varmints which raid the feed barn and my arms get tired of holding the rifle in a ready position, and the varmint cong are too quick for me to sling it on my soldier and actually get a shot.

so basically im looking for suggestions for good slings and what, if any, parts will have to be changed out to accommodate them.
    Guns don't kill people, Husbands that come home early kill people.

2. Remove Ads

you want a CQB sling ? try Specter Gear Home Page

check out the various style i am going to put a CQB with a quick release on my AR-15 does it make me a mall ninja i think not its my SHTF rifle

I just got my first AR and I haven't got my sling yet. I've been issued 3 points and 1 points before - neither worked well for me. A 1 point sling lets the gun bang all over your knees and get in your way - not nice. A 3 point will do what you're talking about - they aren't all that awful. The worst part about them is the fact that they cover up important things like the bolt catch/release, selector switch if you're right handed, and mag release and ejection port if you're left handed. The 2 point slings seem to be the solution. There seems to me to be 3 makers putting out a quality 2 point - Gear Sector, Viking Tactics, and Blue Force Gear. When I get my sling, I'll be getting a BFG VCAS. If you wait a month, you can read my review first ;)

Austin
    Last edited by aus71383; January 18th, 2008 at 07:53 PM. Reason: grammar

Quote Originally Posted by aus71383 View Post
    I just got my first AR and I haven't got my sling yet. I've been issued 3 points and 1 points before - neither worked well for me. A 1 point sling lets the gun bang all over your knees and get in your way - not nice. A 3 point will do what you're talking about - they aren't all that awful. The worst part about them is the fact that they cover up important things like the bolt catch/release, selector switch if you're right handed, and mag release and ejection port if you're left handed. The 2 point slings seem to be the solution. There seems to me to be 3 makers putting out a quality 2 point - Gear Sector, Viking Tactics, and Blue Force Gear. When I get my sling, I'll be getting a BFG VCAS. If you wait a month, you can read my review first ;)

Austin
    sounds good, i may just take you up on that.

VIP Member
    Viking Tactics, Inc.
    I have their 3 point for AK and has held well and it is comfortable within the parameters of carrying that anchor.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

I'll echo some thoughts as well as add my own experience, for what's it's worth.

3 Point slings: Perfect for airsofters, incredibly bad for real soldiers. This topic has already been discussed and argued till the horse was hairless from the flog. Dont like em, they get hung up on kit and their hard to get adjusted to cover a variety of manipulations with the weapon. Try going to the weak side for weak side barricade shooting in a moments notice with a three point sling. It cant be done unless you have a lull in shooting due to daily prayer by insurgent force. Stay away from them.

Single point: Not bad, but also suffers from some of the same conundrum as the three point. Better than three point, but the adjustments basicall cause you to have to have it tighter than need should you need to go to the weak side for shooting.

Two Point: Only way I'll ever go again in this lifetime. Assuming you have decent mounts and not a full swivel mount up front the two point adjustable like the Boonie Hacker or Blue force Gear "Vickers Combat Assault Sling" is the only thing going that has served me well. Just make sure your front sling mount is not a 360 degree swivel. You can get a rail mounted sling that is "limited travel" or "fixed" from just about any mounting manufactueres.

The adjustable part of the sling is most advantagious point to reference too. It can be tightened or loosened while worn over the torso. This is critical should you need to unsling the weapon or loosen it in a moments notice for weak side shooting from barricades or around the corner on your weak side of a building or other type structure.

Blue Force Gear "Vickers Combat Assault Sling" $48 most places and well worth every penny. Also had a quick relase buckle for emergency's Nice feature and the craftmanship is as good as any of the other high speed names like Viking Tactics.

I wouldn't rec' any other sling at the moment.
    Perhaps your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others.

Lead Moderator
    Unless you are planning an invasion ,I think a 3 pt. sling would be handy and comfortable when you take those walks.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

ok, so the single point is out officially.

i think a 2 point may be the way to go, but since i have plain jane fore-end will the side-sling swivel have to be clamped on the barrel or gas block? if so will this adversely affect the gun's performance in any way?

IMO a rifle without a sling is like a handgun with out a holster. For home defense it is optional. But if you go in the world the rifle should have one.

An instructor I have trained with, Marine, and SWAT, gave me this advise. If you plan on doing vehicle ops then a one point is the way to go. It also allows you to switch to weak side. For most other situations a three point gives you good control of the rifle. He likes the Giles Tactical Sling, 3 point. - Wilderness Tactical Products, LLC

Two other SWAT instructors give the nod to the one or 3 point slings as well.

For a 2 point check out Viking Tactics, Inc.

I think slings are some thing you have to try out. Some work better than other on different people. Most are not all that expensive so if one dose not work you are not out all that much cash. And you could always sell them.
    Aaron

If you don't protect your self, who will?

Senior Member Array Knuckledrager's Avatar
    I second Skygod's motion. Just changed from a single point sling mounted on my armor to the VCAS from blue force. The single only had one positive quality, namely easy transitions from strong to weak side shooting positions. The biggest downside is the fact that during transitions from longarm to sidearm the longarm almost always hit me in the package. Ouch!

The VCAS allows for strong/weak side transitions but lest the longarm hang to the side during transitions to the sidearm. Here is the link.

::BLUEFORCEGEARâ„¢::

Also here is an article written by Larry Vickers. Inventor of that sling.

Carbine Slings
    Last edited by Knuckledrager; January 19th, 2008 at 05:43 PM.
    "The liberty of the individual is no gift of civilization. It was greatest before there was any civilization." Sigmund Freud

I tried a cheap sling for my AR with poorly written instructions. I got it strapped on the rifle and then put it on. I did something wrong cause it slipped and got tighter around me ,and there I was with an AR strapped to my chest and couldn't get if off.

It's now in a box. LOL!!!

I went with the Vickers sling from Blueforce gear. The quick length adjust works great.
    كافر(Infidel)
    He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.
    Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil, Aphorism 146
    German philosopher (1844 - 1900)

Anyone try the BlackHawk V-Tac Sling MKI on their M-4? I'm seriously thinking about this one, and it seems to have good reviews. (Also under $30!) I just can't seem to find something that clearly states it would mount to the CAR-15. I don't want to pay extra for the sling attachment in the rear. Just need it to strap to the collapsible butt-stock.

as an old 3time volunteered sargeant once told me match your gear to your mission. out in the woods like your saying i'd go with a 3point or the 2point 550 sling from rangers digest 1. but thats just me and your kit should always be comfortable.
    "Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result."
    -Winston Churchill
    Every well-bred petty crook knows: the small concealable weapons always go to the far left of the place setting.
    -Inara, firefly

does anyone know of a good maker of a side sling swivel that can be mounted on the gas block?
    i think this will be my only option to mount a two point sling as i do not have a railed fore grip.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links