pic of my kel tec su-16c

pic of my kel tec su-16c

This is a discussion on pic of my kel tec su-16c within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Here are a couple of pics of my kel tec that I bought used. I've had it about 2 months and have only put 80 ...

pic of my kel tec su-16c

Here are a couple of pics of my kel tec that I bought used. I've had it about 2 months and have only put 80 rounds through it. So far, so good. I added the high mount rings, cheap 3-9x32 scope, and the led light setup. Almost no recoil which is great. Now just need to save up for a AR.
    Attached Images

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    I've been considering buying an SU-16B. I'm glad you like yours!

its black and scary!
    Wo die Notwehr aufhört, fängt der Mord an
    (Murder begins where self-defense ends)
    Georg Büchner

Great little rifles. Unbelievably light and shoot very well for what it is.
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    very nice! what cal is that,...

"To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghettokracker71 View Post
    very nice! what cal is that,...
    Su16's are chambered in .223. They can handle 5.56 though.
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

OH,gotcha,. On keltecs site it says 5.56 NATO ,then you click the link it says .223,I was ike uhh...whats the deal

"To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghettokracker71 View Post
    OH,gotcha,. On keltecs site it says 5.56 NATO ,then you click the link it says .223,I was ike uhh...whats the deal
    Just out of curiosity, which does it say stamped on your SU-16 rifle, "5.56mm" or ".223"? If they are really chambered in .223 Remington, it's not a safe thing to put 5.56x45 in them. .223 in a 5.56mm chamber, no problem other than a potential slight loss of accuracy.

Very nice. I have always liked the Kel-Tec rifles. I'm thinking about getting a
    Sub2000 with the Glock magazines myself!
    “They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security” Benjamin Franklin
    I'm not pro gun, I'm pro rights. What are you?

NRA
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote Originally Posted by xsquidgator View Post
    Just out of curiosity, which does it say stamped on your SU-16 rifle, "5.56mm" or ".223"? If they are really chambered in .223 Remington, it's not a safe thing to put 5.56x45 in them. .223 in a 5.56mm chamber, no problem other than a potential slight loss of accuracy.

it says .223

Lol,I keep looking at keltecs site no thanks to this thread,..."dang I want one"

Kel-tec has stated that shooting 5.56 in them is fine. They use 5.56/.223 interchangeably on their site.

Quote Originally Posted by SammyIamToday View Post
    Kel-tec has stated that shooting 5.56 in them is fine. They use 5.56/.223 interchangeably on their site.
    I'll have to check, but I believe 5.56x45 chambers have about an extra 0.080" leade in them, and that the 556 brass web/wall is thicker so that there's less volume in a 556 case. 223 and 556 cases are identical in terms of outside dimensions IIRC. My understanding as a reloader was that the same charge in a 556 case could result in higher pressure than the same charge in a 223Rem case, due to the different volumes. Again IIRC, 556 chambers are rated for the extra pressure, but 223 chambers are not.

I'll have to check, but I believe 5.56x45 chambers have about an extra 0.080" leade in them, and that the 556 brass web/wall is thicker so that there's less volume in a 556 case. 223 and 556 cases are identical in terms of outside dimensions IIRC. My understanding as a reloader was that the same charge in a 556 case could result in higher pressure than the same charge in a 223Rem case, due to the different volumes. Again IIRC, 556 chambers are rated for the extra pressure, but 223 chambers are not.
    Right, I agree that they are a different round. However, what I'm saying is that Kel-tec has said they use the term interchangeably on their site. Perhaps a bad practice, but the SU16 can easily handle 5.56. I know this from personal experience.

Links