Ar's in NY

This is a discussion on Ar's in NY within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I was just told that I can not order 30round mags for my olympic arms plinker + because the gun is post ban and the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ar's in NY

Ar's in NY

I was just told that I can not order 30round mags for my olympic arms plinker + because the gun is post ban and the mags would have to be pre ban. Is this correct?

2. Remove Ads

True.

You can not posses any mag with more than 10 round capacity if it was manufactured after 9/1994.

You can have a mag with 10+ capacity if it was manufactured beofre that date.

From the NYS penal code article 265.00 definitions

"Large capacity ammunition feeding device" means a magazine, belt, drum, feed strip, or similar device, manufactured after September thirteenth, nineteen hundred ninety-four, that has a capacity of, or that can be readily restored or converted to accept, more than ten rounds of ammunition; provided, however, that such term does not include an attached tubular device designed to accept, and capable of operating only with, .22 caliber rimfire ammunition.
    Then in 265.02 Criminal possession of a weapon in the third degree

(5) (i) Such person possesses three or more firearms; or (ii) such person possesses a firearm and has been previously convicted of a felony or a class A misdemeanor defined in this chapter within the five years immediately preceding the commission of the offense and such possession did not take place in the person's home or place of business; or (6) Such person knowingly possesses any disguised gun; or (7) Such person possesses an assault weapon; or (8) Such person possesses a large capacity ammunition feeding device. Criminal possession of a weapon in the third degree is a class D felony.
    You can either find yourself some mil surplus 30 round mags from before 1994, the gun show always has some for $20 each or you can order some 10 round mags. C-Products 10 round mags were recommended to me and they're $17 I think.

Senior Moderator
    Now THAT is compleltely and totally pointless...ecpecially since the original federal restrictions went away.

Ridiculous...simply ridiculous.

I feel truly sorry for you Yankees.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

It's ok, this Yankee is moving to Florida in may. Can't wait to away from these laws. My gf lives in Florida and I just ordered her OC spray and had it shiped there and the order got cancelled cause my billing address was NY.

Senior Moderator
    When you get to Florida, you wont know how to act. No permission to buy,no registration and you can even buy evil looking black rifles with 100 magazines that make the politicians up there uncontrollably lose their water and not be able to sleep at night.

You will then understand what "normal" is for the rest of the country.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Senior Member Array Shadowsbane's Avatar
    This may be a dumb question but how exactly can they tell when a magazine was made? I have never seen a serial number or other identifying mark (besides manufacturer) on one.
    Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men.

www.Lonelymountainleather.com

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowsbane View Post
    This may be a dumb question but how exactly can they tell when a magazine was made? I have never seen a serial number or other identifying mark (besides manufacturer) on one.
    Who knows but I wouldn't bet my freedom on their not being able to do so!

This has come up with Glock mags. The older ones did not have a steel liner in them (which caused them to swell and not drop if rounds were in them and the release was pushed, a European thing). The newer ones do. That is a quick way to make a call on pre or post ban Glock mags with no other marks. When I told some Glock people this in NY they were Seems those newly made mags with no marks CAN be told apart.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowsbane View Post
    You can't unless it's for a gun that was not made before 1994 or construction changed on them at some point like the glock mags posted above.

Quote Originally Posted by puzzleclover View Post
    Even if there's a change, if the mag tube remains unaffected, there's no way to tell. People can easily change out base plates, springs and followers. I know Glock's had a few follower changes.
    Yep. The law is pretty much unenforceable.

Not that I'd risk a felony trying to get around it but like you said, if I go to the gun show, find some mil surplus 30 round AR mags with the manufacturer stamped on the floor plate, how am I or any LEO supposed to know when it was made? No way to know for sure. I ask the vendor and they always say they are pre-ban because they know why I'm asking.

Now that most states don't have a ban you can find pre ban mags on auction for a reasonable price. I recently purchased 17 30rd ar mags for $12 each shipped.
    Bleeding-heart reporter: “Do you feel that violence begets violence?”
    Jeff Cooper: “It is my earnest endeavor to see that it does. I would like very much to ensure - and in some cases I have - that any man who offers violence to his fellow citizen begets a whole lot more than he can enjoy."

I saw a bunch of the pre ban mags, but what I was told was.......You can not have a pre ban mag in a POST ban gun. So basically he told me that even if I got pre ban mags, i could not be in possesion of them because my rifle is a new Oly Arms. He said the same happened to him with a glock. The store owner wouldnt sell him pre ban Hi cap mags unless he saw the gun to be sure it was pre ban also. Is that true? It goes against pretty much everything i have read on here.

I have never heard that. There is a ban on new hi cap mags. I have never heard it tied back the the firearm. (Although, a pre ban firearm can have other features that a post ban can't. But that's another story.)
    Bleeding-heart reporter: “Do you feel that violence begets violence?”
    Jeff Cooper: “It is my earnest endeavor to see that it does. I would like very much to ensure - and in some cases I have - that any man who offers violence to his fellow citizen begets a whole lot more than he can enjoy."

Quote Originally Posted by lopadrino79 View Post
    I saw a bunch of the pre ban mags, but what I was told was.......You can not have a pre ban mag in a POST ban gun. So basically he told me that even if I got pre ban mags, i could not be in possesion of them because my rifle is a new Oly Arms. He said the same happened to him with a glock. The store owner wouldnt sell him pre ban Hi cap mags unless he saw the gun to be sure it was pre ban also. Is that true? It goes against pretty much everything i have read on here.
    I heard that before too, and believed it at first. But if you go read the laws it says noting whatsoever about that. Go take a look through the penal laws. i posted the link above.

Ok, thanks.

You can use preban mags. If it's a postban rifle, it will count as one item (must be less than 3 on postban IIRC) toward making it an evil "assault rifle." I'll look them up if you like, but it's in the penal code. If you were to put say a flash suppressor, bayo lug, and full capacity mag on it, it would be illegal, whereas that on a preban would be legal.
    Make sense? Yeah, right!

edit: Just re-read the original post and I misread it. They were correct, you can't legally order new full capacity magazines for it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links