New Beretta CX4 Storm

New Beretta CX4 Storm

This is a discussion on New Beretta CX4 Storm within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I just picked up my new Beretta CX4 Storm in .40 S&W this afternoon. I haven't shot it yet but it sure is a beauty. ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Beretta CX4 Storm

New Beretta CX4 Storm

I just picked up my new Beretta CX4 Storm in .40 S&W this afternoon. I haven't shot it yet but it sure is a beauty. Anyone else have any experience with these carbines? Just from handling it and reading about it online, I think I really will like it. I plan on adding the top rail and getting some sort of red dot for it. I'm torn between an EOTech, Aimpoint, or going a bit cheaper with a Burris XTS-135. I can't wait to get it to the range this Saturday.

"I play for keeps."

They have a 9mm for rent at my local range. I like it well enough. I'm not a fan of the space age design but it's a good gun in all other aspects (including all the actually important ones).

Edit - Oh, and congrats on the addition to the family! :)
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Distinguished Member Array USPnTX's Avatar
    I bought one about six months ago and they are a blast to shoot. I put an EoTech on mine and have been really pleased with it. I just need to find someone that can do something about the trigger (its awful). Congrats on your new purchase -- good shooting!!
    "Do not fear those who disagree with you; fear those that do and are too cowardly to admit it" - Napoleon

Make sure and give us a range report when you get around to it. I think it'll be a lot of fun shooting it!

Nice purchase!!

Wayne

VIP Member
    I've had my 9mm CX4 for about a year. It is a blast to shoot and is very accurate. It's size makes it nice for small places. I put a TruGlo 2X red dot on mine. My eyes are getting where I need the extra magnification at distances over 25 yards.

Let us know what you think of it after the trip to the range.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

nice piece,,,congrats,,,enjoy

I've had my 9mm Cx4 for about 6 months and it is one fun carbine to shoot. Take lots of ammo when you go to the range.

I mounted a 2x30MM Truglo Extreme Dual Color/Multi-Reticle scope on mine. You might want to take a look at these. It's the model #TG8030MB2.
    Welcome to Tennessee, the patron state of shootin' stuff.--SHOOTER

Check this thread out: http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ighlight=Storm

I was originally going for one myself, and recieved great advice on it.

As far as you're red dot is concerned, if you can, here's a link to a "don't miss" opportunity: Red Dot Sight 1X30 B Style Sunshade & Weaver Rings - CLEARANCE CENTER by Combathunting.com

If you'll notice (aside from the 5 year warranty) - this red dot feeds off of the watch-style battery. MANY of them now take 3v Lithium batteries which you want to avoid at all costs. A few friends of mine say that the battery life on them sucks (drains when not on), and that they're not always easy to get. Plus, they usually run about 2/10 bucks, compared to a dollar per battery for the CR 2032 watch batteries.

My friend has a CR 2032 in his red dot on his STORM, and says that it hasn't faded or needed replacing in the 3 years he's had his storm.

Goodluck with your new toy and have fun
    Some people don't deserve saving.

....the water is almost at a boil

Distinguished Member Array morintp's Avatar
    Nice. You're going to have to buy that .40 S&W by the case now.

Heh...I've already been looking at it by the case. It's my third .40 now so sooner or later I was going to have to buy it in bulk anyway. I'm looking at the Speer Lawman Ammo on Ammoman.com for $249/1000. Anyone know any better deals?
    "I play for keeps."

im waiting for a full report, as i am highly considering getting one
    Wo die Notwehr aufhört, fängt der Mord an
    (Murder begins where self-defense ends)
    Georg Büchner

I'll be going to the range on Saturday morning so I'll review it a bit on Saturday night or Sunday. I can't wait to try this thing out...
    "I play for keeps."

As I promised...I'll give a bit of a review of my new CX4 Storm.

The fit and finish of the gun, for the price, is excellent. It feels wonderful in my hands and really feels solid all the way through even though it's completely a polymer framed rifle. It balances really well in my hands and the fit to my body is certainly acceptable. The bolt is very stiff but after field stripping the gun and cleaning out the old oil and putting in some Rem Oil I could already tell a difference. Disassembly is very easy and rather painless. Reassembly was smooth and was actually a bit easier than disassembly.

I've currently got two pistols in .40 S&W(Steyr M40-A1 and XD-SC) so I was used to the recoil and ballistics of the round. Loading the magazines was no problem and it was nearly effortless to get the last round in even though they were brand new mags. I took 200 rounds of WWB and put about 100 through my CX4. The first mag I shot was at 50 feet and it was 9/10 ring every time. I was very impressed at that since I was standing(no benchrest or anything of the nature) and I'm typically pretty shaky anyway. The sights took a bit of getting used to for me but that's because I've always primarily been a pistol shooter and the few times I've used a rifle they've been scoped or had Aimpoints. The trigger, while it certainly isn't as nice as the trigger on my buddy's Rock River AR or some of my pistols it certainly wasn't the worst trigger I've ever pulled. It just took some getting used to since it's a longer trigger pull that most of my pistols have. By the end of my range session I was doing much better and in the 10 ring at 50 feet with every pull. I then moved the target to 25 yards and was 9/10 ring again. I brought it home, field stripped and cleaned it and reassembled. It wasn't terribly dirty after 100 rounds but I always clean my guns after each session at the range.

Reflecting upon my session at the range I've come to a few conclusions. I'm going to have to put the top rail and a red dot or Burris electro-dot scope on it. The sights really are just fine, I just prefer something I can acquire a bit faster and not have to try so hard to align (again, I'm not at all used to peep hole sights and I'm not sure I ever will be). I'm going to purchase some Mec-Gar 15 round mags for it to increase my capacity a bit and so it extends out of the magazine well a bit farther so it's easier to grab if need be. Mostly I'm going to buy those just to increase my overall capacity because 11 rounds go rather quickly in this gun. Overall, I'm extremely pleased and I'll really love this gun once I've got a red dot or something similar put on. I highly recommend this gun if you're looking for a pistol caliber carbine. A lot of my buddies tried comparing it to an AR and while I can see why, really, they're not in the same league. You've got to compare apples to apples. A $1200 Rock River AR(or Colt, FN, whoever) vs. a $550 CX4 just isn't a fair fight. I've got a lot of respect for the AR but the CX4 suits my needs a lot better and is more practical for me.

If anyone has any experience with optics for the CX4 and wouldn't mind talking a bit about it, please share. I'm still torn. I'm leaning towards a Burris Electro-Dot 2x-7x scope but a red dot is certainly still in comparison.

Have a good one.
    "I play for keeps."

Assistant Administrator
    My Storm (in 9mm) has successfully used a fairly low priced Simmons red dot for the three or more years I have had it - it seems very adequate and of course recoil effects on it are very modest. The pic shows the first red dot used which was a real cheapie and hard to zero - which was soon changed to the Simmons.

My two main observations on this carbine are - the ''space-age'' look becomes of little importance when it is picked up and shot - the ergonomics and ''feel'' are excellent - IMO some very good design.

Second thing is, a very poor trigger - something I keep meaning to sort out - that said you can get used to it and the overall performance is enough to make that almost bearable!

Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

im highly considering getting one.
    can the trigger thing be fixed?
    Wo die Notwehr aufhört, fängt der Mord an
    (Murder begins where self-defense ends)
    Georg Büchner

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links