I think I know why they're called Century Arms...

This is a discussion on I think I know why they're called Century Arms... within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; ...cause it took about a century for my WASR-10 AK47 to show up!!! (Ok, bad pun for the week has been taken care of.) But ...

...cause it took about a century for my WASR-10 AK47 to show up!!! (Ok, bad pun for the week has been taken care of.)

But I digress... I'm now the proud owner of the AK I posted some questions about awhile back. Pretty run of the mill for what it is, fairly crummy wooden stocks, a few marks in the metal, etc, but didn't have the nefarious canted sight I was warned about, and has the Tapco trigger that should theoretically resolve the trigger slap issue as well. Haven't been able to take it out yet, will do so this weekend, but the price was very right, and it's everything I hoped it could be! I'm really happy I was finally able to add some type of semi-auto rifle that can function as my SHTF weapon/Zombie killer to my arsenal. I'd post a picture, but it pretty much looks like an AK. It's nothing special... yet.....

Which brings me to my next question(s)....

I've started shopping for accessories, and would love some opinions/advice, I'm new to the world of AK's here, and battle rifles in general.

The vision I have in my head, anyway, is to convert over to black synthetic or metal stocks, get a better muzzle brake/flash suppressor, put some type of no/low magnification optic on top, I'm thinking maybe a red dot style, and attach some type of tac light, should the SHTF after dark. (Of course, when does that ever happen??) The final caveat to all this, is that I don't want to end up spending 3x what I paid for the dang rifle in the first place to make all this happen. Still need some money left over to buy a bunch of mags and a couple thousand rounds for it.

I think I've found what I want to do for a stock; it's a telescoping model, which I'd like, because as is the stock is a little short for me, and a little long for my gf (who is totally stoked to go try it out, btw!) This is what I'm thinking, anybody heard anything or have any thoughts that would make me reconsider?

AKS-160 - AK T6 Collapsible Stock Black, Removable Pivoting Sling Swivel and Alternate Web Sling Slot - Manufactured by: TAPCO

For a flash suppressor/muzzle brake, my initial thought was to go for something like this,

FLASH SUPPRESSOR Avtomat Kalashnikova47 BIRDCAGEstyle - eBay (item 190193285806 end time Jan-30-08 1955 PST)

but admittedly, it's first appeal to me was "Hey, that looks cool!" and second was "Hey, that's pretty inexpensive!" I really don't know what design is best, what advantages are gained from one style over the other, so... Suggestions? Comments? Gentle criticisms?

I'm also thinking this is the route I might go for an optic...

36984 - 30mm Red Dot Quick-Acquisition Sight, 5 MOA Reticle, Black, Warranty - Manufactured by: Truglo

I fully realize it's not an EOTech or anything terribly fancy, and not what I'd want if I were going to Iraq with it or something, but I just can't justify spending hundreds of dollars on something that's going to spend 98.3 percent of it's life sitting in my closet. Truglo is normally a decent brand for other products, and much like my rifle, the reviews I've read say it's decent for what it is, and the price is right. However, if anybody has a different opinion on that product, or another suggestion in a similar price range, I'd certainly consider other options!

The rest gets a little more complicated, I haven't decided entirely what I want to do. Basically, I need a fore grip, and something to mount the optic and light on. Couple routes I've considered... My rifle has the side-scope mount, so I could use something like this,

AK-47 Side Rail Mount, Quick Detach New UTG.

I'm thinking the quick release model would be good, because reviews I've read state that you cannot use the iron sight with it, so if my optic goes Ker-plooey I could rip the whole mount off quick-like and go back to iron sights. However, I don't think the weaver rail on the side of that mount will work very well for putting my light on, as it's very far back on the rifle, and would be largely obscured by my support hand, so I'd need some type of rail for the front, too, maybe one of these..?

Deluxe Tri-Rail Barrel Mount 2 Slot - AK-47 MAC MAADI by Combathunting.com

If I go this route, I'd probably end up using one of these for a front grip.

AKS-030 - AK-47 Galil Style Handguard Improve Barrel Ventilation, No Gunsmithing - Manufactured by: TAPCO

The only problem with all that, is that I have to buy all of it! Grip, scope mount and tri-rail. The other option I'm coming up with, that I'm leaning towards, is just getting this...

AKS-034 - AK-47 Front Handguard Set Four Rails Great Rail System ! Easy Install w/No Tools - Manufactured by: Cheaper Than Dirt

or

AKS-101 - UTG AK Metal Quad Rail System Aluminum Handguard with Rubber Rail Covers - Manufactured by: Leapers

It would replace my front grip, allow me to mount my optic on top and light on the side all with one unit. My only real concerns with doing this are that I don't know if a 30mm Red-dot will work mounted that far forward, and I don't know if I'd be able to co-witness iron sights through the optic in that position, or if there is a way to set up a quick-release for the optic on the rail like that..? If neither of those are issues, I think that's the route I'd like to go.

So......... I realize this is a great big post, and thanks to anybody who even made it all the way through without getting bored first! What do all y'all think? I'd really appreciate any input anybody has to offer. Once I get my new baby all Tacticool, then I'll throw some pics up..!
    .40 is fine.

Seems to me you've got things pretty much figured out on your own. My Bulgarian SLR-95 doesn't have any extras on it (yet). It's my CQC/brush-cutter so-to-speak. My Bushy M4 gets all the optics/add-ons attention. Since you're concerned about saving a buck like me or the next guy, I'll tell you that I've had a BSA 42 red dot mounted on the AR for quite some time and it's sturdy and reliable. Mine has the dial, but they make a push-button for the dot intensity setting also. Might be worth a look for you. I like to pick up a copy of Shotgun News now and then just to gawk at all the new hardware coming out, and trying to find good deals. Can't remember buying anything from Tapco, but I've seen some of their advertised stuff. Good luck with your new AK and getting it just right for you!

I'll have to check out those BSA sights as well, thanks..!
    .40 is fine.

Check this site out! I think I'm going to get the quad rail for my AR here. They have alot of stuff for the AK! Reasonable too!
    AK-47 Parts and Accessories

Senior Member Array flagflyfish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Griblik View Post
    I'll have to check out those BSA sights as well, thanks..!
    I don't think that the BSA sights will handle the recoil of the rifle for very long, JMO YMMV I've had BSA reddot sights on a .22 rifle and they worked fine, but have destroyed then on heavier caliber guns. Check these out: C-MORE Systems - Railway
    I have 2 of the Railway sights /with the click switch, on 2 different rifles, they are tough as nails!
    Tapco makes some great products, as does UTG, I would go with them anyday!! look at my Mini-14 makeover thread and you can see the quality of both manufacturer's products.
    "These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier
    and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the
    service of his country; but he that stands it now, deserves the
    love and thanks of man and woman."

-- Thomas Paine (The American Crisis, No. 1, 19 December 1776)

Quote Originally Posted by flagflyfish View Post
    Check these out: C-MORE Systems - Railway
    I have 2 of the Railway sights /with the click switch, on 2 different rifles, they are tough as nails!
    Tapco makes some great products, as does UTG, I would go with them anyday!! look at my Mini-14 makeover thread and you can see the quality of both manufacturer's products.
    Thanks, will do. That's a sharp looking Mini, btw..!
    .40 is fine.

It would replace my front grip, allow me to mount my optic on top and light on the side all with one unit. My only real concerns with doing this are that I don't know if a 30mm Red-dot will work mounted that far forward, and I don't know if I'd be able to co-witness iron sights through the optic in that position, or if there is a way to set up a quick-release for the optic on the rail like that..? If neither of those are issues, I think that's the route I'd like to go.
    If you want to co-witness, your best bet is an Ultimak scout rail. It sits lower than most of the others. Something to consider, AK's get HOT...a cheap upper forend and a cheap optic may not last very long. I've heard really good things about the Burris "Fast fire" optic. Not as cheap as the one you listed but still significantly less than an EOTech or Aimpoint.

As far as mounting a light...unless you're dead-set on having a vertical foregrip, just screw a piece of rail onto the lower handguard and attach your light, much cheaper that way (my camera died or I'd post a pic of mine).
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Quote Originally Posted by raevan View Post
    I'd probably go with K-Var or even Tapco over those...here's a thread where a guy had them melt on him during a class.
    Warrior Talk Forums
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Senior Member Array flagflyfish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KenpoTex View Post
    I'd probably go with K-Var or even Tapco over those...here's a thread where a guy had them melt on him during a class.
    Warrior Talk Forums
    I agree 100%
    I purchased a light mount from CAA, What a P.O.S.!! It was loose on the rail, wouldn't hold the flaslight steady.. They got my $30.00 but they won't get anymore!
    "These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier
    and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the
    service of his country; but he that stands it now, deserves the
    love and thanks of man and woman."

-- Thomas Paine (The American Crisis, No. 1, 19 December 1776)

i've never had a problem with CAA. i've used their mounts and rails in iraq and 15months of abuse didn't even phase them.
    "Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result."
    -Winston Churchill
    Every well-bred petty crook knows: the small concealable weapons always go to the far left of the place setting.
    -Inara, firefly

look, Century Arms in Georgia vermont is in need of gunsmiths, matter of fact I just applied their to be one. It'll take a while for their orders to be filled but in the mean time you CAN build your own from a stamped receiver if you feel that you could do it faster....
    I am sworn to protect the Constitution of the U.S.A. from all threats both foreign and domestic.

Couple of thoughts:

If you want a collapsable/folding stock, don't M4-gerize your AK. The collapsable stocks aren't terribly durable. ACE or a Romy side-folder are more abuse-tolerant.

A birdcage FH is ...a birdcage. A Phantom FH is money well spent; about as efficient as Vortex, but not an open-prong design.

If you do a synthetic fore-end, I've found ceramic heat-sinks( MidwayUSA - M16 Clinic Ceramic Handguard Heat Sinks AR-15 Standard Length ) cut to fit, and epoxied inside your fore end to be helpful.

AKs, with Russian/Chinese ammo aren't the most accurate things out there. Not as bad as detractors would have you believe, but... If you hang stuff on the barrel, it will 1) conduct heat to the mounted accessory, and 2) fugger with your POI quite a bit past 100 yards.

They are a ton of fun!

Lots of good info and ideas, thanks for all the links. I guess one of the biggest things I'm still concerned about is whether it will work ok for some type of optic to be mounted on the forward grip? Will that be too far forward to be effectively used?

Rob, as far as your thoughts on my M4-gery attempts, my biggest reason for wanting a telescoping stock is finding something that will fit both myself and my smaller framed girlfriend. (Plus I think the side folders are just goofy looking.) In your experience, are the telescoping stocks so flimsy as to just not be an option, or are there some models that may be more reliable then others? If they're just not gonna do it, I'd sooner just go with a fixed synthetic stock then a side folder.

Again, thanks everybody for your input, keep the advice coming, I'm learning lots as we go..!
    .40 is fine.

You really oughta check the AK-specific forums at Warrior Talk Forums and GetOffTheX

tons of good info regarding parts and accessories.

Matt K.

Links