Anyone trap shoot? need some advice

This is a discussion on Anyone trap shoot? need some advice within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Well I have been a long time lurker and finaly need your help! A new range opened near my house that offers trap shooting. I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Well I have been a long time lurker and finaly need your help!
    A new range opened near my house that offers trap shooting. I normaly only shoot handguns, so this is a new sport for me and to shotguns all together. So im looking to get some anwsers to the following:

1. What type or model of shotgun should I look into? pump or single action? any other gear needed?
    2. What kind of ammo is effective for clays?
    3. Is this sport hard to get into if you never hunted/ used rifes before?
    4. Any etiquette that I need to follow?

Thanks for the help!

I used to shoot a lot of skeet but never got into trap shooting. The best way to learn about it is to just show up at the range while guys are shooting. You might bring a couple of boxes of 12 ga #8 shot. If they are worth being around you will learn everything you need from those at the range. They can get a feel for your size and ability and advise you on what you need. Most often they will offer to let you shoot one of their guns. Most trap and skeet shooters love to get new people into the sport. You can spend from not too much to many thousands of dollars depending on how interested you get into trap shooting. But don't worry you can shoot just as well with a $400 trap gun as you can with an $8000 gun. Just be prepaired to have fun and bring your own eye protection and ear muffs or plugs.
    Life member NRA since 1983
    I carry a Kimber Ultra Carry II in a Crossbreed SuperTuck. My wife carries a Walther PPS .40 w/Crossbreed holster.

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Quote Originally Posted by MadDog View Post
    A new range opened near my house that offers trap shooting. I only normaly shoot handgun, so this is a new sport for me and to shotguns all together. So im looking to get some anwsers to the following:

1. What type or model of shotgun should I look into? pump or single action? any other gear needed?

Thanks for the help!
    MadDog,
    WELCOME, to the besttest (not really a word) Funnest (definitly not a word) type of shooting. Blowing up orange discs in mid air "INSTANT GRATIFICATION"

I shoot Skeet/5-Stand/Trap In that order occording to FUNNESS hehehehe

Trap I prefer 8's I generally try to spot shoot right out of the house. 7.5's if there is no 8's. Any wind 71/2's

Skeet 9's 1 1/8 ounce load all the time

I would say start with a 12 gauge. This simple allows you put more lead in the air then lets say a 20 gauge making it more likely to hit the target.

For starting Trap shooter I would Say start with a Modified choke. Most trap games are single target games unless your shooting Wabble or COMBAT Trap (lots of fun hehehehehe)

AFter you build up little confidence you may want a Full choke to watch you turn orange clay into ORANGE Powder.

Trap I shoot a Beretta 391 Urilka with a Modified choke. However, pump guns work fine for Trap.

Skeet I shoot a Citori Grade 1 O/U 28 inch barrel with Skeet and Skeet Chokes 12 Gauge. I would not shoot a Pump unless your only shooting the game single targets and not doing any doubles.

5 Stand depends.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

I shoot trap and skeet a fair bit.

I shoot with a Mossberg 500 pump action, setup with a long (28") barrel and modified choke most of the time. It works great for me. A reliable pump with a long-ish barrel will do fine, a lot of people like over/unders or side-by-side shotguns for shooting trap, and that's perfectly acceptable too.

I usually use # 7 1/2 shot, but my advice is, call the trap range and ask them what they'll let you use. Some ranges have rules about size and type of shot.

I don't think its hard to get into... Like any shooting sport, safety is #1. Shooting skeet and trap makes it pretty easy to accidentally wave the gun past your buddies or etc... so muzzle control is that much more important when you're participating in a shooting sport, in my opinion.
    Lead your target. Not by a lot, but maybe try to shoot 8-10" "in front" of the clay. Also, the earlier you get them, the easier they are to hit. ;-)

Etiquette.... Hang out at the range and watch a few rounds played. There's some lingo and etc... involved, but it's all pretty simple and you'll pick it up quickly.

We also have a tradition around here, the first time you shoot a perfect round (25 out of 25), your buddies get to put your hat in the skeet thrower machine and shoot at it.
    I hope you have a holy hat soon :)

Peace,
    Pete Zaria.
    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.
    - Margaret Mead

"Booger Hook Off the Bang Switch" - unknown

It's a great sport! Welcome! Shot way too many competitions myself. ha!
    1. You'll find that you can spend $8000 fast on nice shotguns like Ljutic and Krieghoffs. I've shot a lot of rounds of 25 with my Remington 1100 traps though. A semi-auto has less recoil than a break open or a pump. Look at the 1100's and the Beretta 391's. Get a true trap gun. There is a difference in the stock on a trap gun. You can get adjustable ribs and butt plates but in my opinion this just gives you more reasons to blame the gun when you miss. I like to set my gun up and leave it. This makes you focus on your follow through and then you only get to blame yourself for the miss. I know guys that adjust on their gun after almost every round. Don't get that logic at all.

2. You want light target loads in about 7 1/2 shot. I like Winchester AA hulls or Remington STS. If you reload they last a long time. (Reloading will save you a ton in this sport). A single stage MEC is all you need. Mine has lasted forever. Get you a trap vest to hold your shells and your hulls as well. Most people use a light full or full extended choke tube. I like Briley myself.

3. This is a great sport for people to start in. Trap shooters love to teach and welcome new people. The basics to remember is just to keep your head down on the stock and follow through. Keep that gun swinging. Especially when you're on the #1 post and you get a hard left thrown out. Or on post #5 and you get a hard right bird.

4. As far as etiqutte. The one thing to remember is that there are shooters on the right side of you so don't let your hulls shoot out. If you shoot a semi-auto you have to use a shell catcher. It simply clips on the receiver and keeps the used shell in the gun. For some reason people don't like shells flying in their face when it's their turn to shoot. ha! Also, same as any other gun sport. Keep that action open when not shooting.

5. GO FOR IT! It's one of the best shooting sports out there in my opinion. I love it. Bunch of laid back guys that love to do the same thing that you do... shoot guns. What's not to like? Feel free to shoot me a PM anytime if you have a question. Help you any way that I can.
    Allen

-"I may get killed with my own gun, but he's gonna have to beat me to death with it, 'cause it's going to be empty." -Clint Smith

I shoot trap off and on during the year more as a way to keep hand eye coordination sharp for bird season. I use either an 870 or 11-87 12 gauge. Those work well for me.

Usually, the range will dictate to a certain extent what size shot is allowed, some will say something like no shot larger than 7 1/2, for example.

Most trapshooters are really great about offering up tips and such, go to the range and talk to folks. I think you'll find that you enjoy it.
    Reader, suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But, I repeat myself. ...Mark Twain: Manuscript note, c.1882.
    NRA Life Member & JPFO Member.
    Sig & CZ-aholic, a Ruger SP101 3" & Wiley Clapp GP100

By the way I shoot skeet with a Browning Superposed 12 ga and a Remington 1100. The Remington 1100 has a much easier kick if your going to shoot a lot of rounds. I picked up an 11-87 for turkey hunting and for it's ability to handle 3 inch shells. It would probably work great on trap also except it does not have the traditional trap stock.
    Life member NRA since 1983
    I carry a Kimber Ultra Carry II in a Crossbreed SuperTuck. My wife carries a Walther PPS .40 w/Crossbreed holster.

Nice, welcome to the club.

Any gun will do. I usually shoot a fine O/U but have done it with my $85 sears 12ga pump.

Ammo, get some trap loads. Low brass, 1oz #8 to 1 1/8oz #7. Nothing too special here. If you shoot a few hundred rounds, you can get a preference.
    #9 if you get right on them, #7 1/2 if you take your sweet time and get the birds just before they hit the ground. A heavier shot charge is more pellets (better chance of hitting the bird) but also has more recoil.

Etiquette- show up and hang around for a while before even getting your gun out of the car. Many clubs have different rules/standards. Some are really uptight (and safe, IMHO) and some are so lax I refuse to go back. It never hurts to ask a RO about gun handling rules, safe muzzle directions, if you can walk with the gun loaded, when to have the action open, etc.

The hardest part of the sport is missing. When you miss, you have no idea if your shot goes high or low, ahead or behind etc. You WILL need to lead ahead of the bird. How much- that's pretty tough to describe, especially since a straight away or hard side shot require different lead.

Having never shot rifles before, you wont be too bothered by the sights - or lack of sights !
    When starting out, the club sure should allow you to call for a bird with the gun already mounted to your shoulder, and your cheek stuck on the stock. That will make it a lot easier for you to get started. If the club allows, see if you can stand on the line with an unloaded, shouldered gun. Just start following birds as they come out - get a feel for the rhythym of their flight.

Administrator
    The shotgun sports are a lot of fun. I suggest you go to the local club and hang out for a few afternoons. Most everybody at the clubs I frequent are more than happy to help new guys get started.

Nothing does everything well, but the closest you will come to that is a quality o/u... but they are expensive. Dont buy cheap off brand shotguns... you will just end up buying another soon.
    A good solid pump gun like an 870 will do the trick well too. I prefer auto's, the Beretta 391 in particular.

Ammo.... doesnt need to be anything special. I like the walmart target load value packs just fine.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array fotomaker57's Avatar
    You will enjoy the trap shooting. I have shot trap and skeet off and on since the early 70's. Tried sporting clays last year and could become hooked if I allowed myself too.
    Mike
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by MadDog View Post
    A new range opened near my house that offers trap shooting. I normaly only shoot handguns, so this is a new sport for me and to shotguns all together. So im looking to get some anwsers to the following:

Thanks for the help!
    1. over and unders seem to be the favorite. i use a remington semi-auto.
    2. whatever's cheapest in #7-8
    3. not hard at all. you'll want a shooting buddy to push the button for you, if your range doesn't have the voice activated fancy stuff. it's also good to have an experienced person show you the ropes. some folks are naturals, some need to be taught the distances to lead from each angle, and the proper way to hold/get cheek weld, sight, etc.
    4. etiquette is usually the same as any other range. keep weapon pointed up and down range at all times. don't fully load autos...just 1 or 2 at a time (depending on if you are shooting singles or doubles (skeet)). pick up your used shells, etc.
    War is not the ugliest of things. Worse is the decayed state of moral feeling which thinks nothing is worth a war. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which he cares for more than his personal safety, is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free. -J.S. Mill

Distinguished Member Array coffeecup's Avatar
    I started trap shooting back in about 1960 and have been a ATA member since 1980. Have owned just about every model trap gun ever made. It can be a VERY expensive sport!!!!! Or you can do it for a MODERATE sum. It depends on how deeply you wish to get involved. Premium trap loads are now priced at around $6 a box or more in some places or you can make the investment to reload for about 3/4 that sum, depending on the price of shot.

I would hesitate to recomend an outo loader for a beginner because trap is mostly a game of "one target at a time". True, doubles are available, but not as many folks shoot them. Fun?, yes, but arent really for the beginner.

You will get as many suggestions on which gun to buy as there are shooters. My advice is to bite the bullet and spend as much as you can afford and buy a QUALITY, single shot trap gun right out of the chute. You will save a BUNCH over trading and buying different models and makes. Have the gun "fitted" to you by someone that knows his business.

Go to the range and watch how the shooters go about the game!!!, before giving it a try. SAFETY is foremost at all times!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Talk to the other shooters and explain how you are new at this and would like some help on making choices and ask for instruction. I have never know a trap shooter that wouldnt be happy to help a newby get started. BEWARE!!! if you ask 20 guys--you will get 20 different answers.

WEBSITE!! Trapshooters.com go ther and log on to the forum, ask questions and someone will give advice---probably several someones. Separate the wheat from the chaf---lots of B.S. on there, but lots of good advice too.

Welome to a Great Sport!

I love trap shooting, and go 2-3 times a week. Here is my 2 cents worth:

*** You can spend anywhere from several hundred to many thousands of dollars on a good trap gun. If you are going to be shooting singles, then something like the Rem 870 pump is ok, but the break-action (more expensive) guns like the Browning BT99 might be a better choice.

My (current) trap gun is a Remington 1100 Semi, which works for both singles and doubles, and can be had for around $1000 new. Get the best 12 gauge you can afford! Make sure though, it's a "trap" gun.

You will also need either a vest or belt bag to hold your box of ammo, and spent shells. Gander Mtn or Cabela's has them relatively inexpensively.

*** Most trap shooters around here reload their own shells, but off the shelf, we use either 7 1/2 or 8 shot. Prices have gone up lately, but Estate makes decent shells for trap. Even the Wal-Mart Winchester shells are ok.

*** Give it a few times, and you'll get the idea!

Trap Shooting Rule #1: "It's always easy to hit a clay."
    Trap Shooting Rule #2: "It's always easy to miss a clay."
    Trap Shooting Rule #3: "Refer to Rules 1 and 2"

All kidding aside, you might want to get a tutor, but try and find someome that is ATA rated, and has consistant high scores. I found my tutor to be extremely helpful!

*** Stand around and watch the group for a while, and you'll get the idea. Be respectful of the person(s) next to you, and don't engage in idle chatter during the squad. Safety ALWAYS comes first. Make sure your gun is emtpy (action open) walking to and from the line. Of course, the four rules of gun safety apply here too. Here's a link to a page that has rules and etiquette:

Skeet and Trap Shooting

Most importantly! Have fun!!!! You may also send me a message if you have more questions. And I will try my best to help you out!
    Last edited by JonInNY; January 26th, 2008 at 01:41 PM.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    Starting out trap shooting use a shotgun that you have don't get caught up in
    spending thounds of dollars for high end gun unless you plan on shooting alot .
    Where I shot there are a lot of remington 1100,870,11-87, good value with
    little problems when you shoot hundreds of rounds.Another thing,registered trap shoots you only use 12 gauge period.The older guys own the expensive stuff that costs the bucks.I found an old remington 3200 that works just fine.
    Shooting clays whether trap,skeet or sporting clays will stay with you for life.

Get a break action double barrel over and under. Get a shell holder and a empty holder that fits on your belt. Always bring three extra shells when you shoot in case. If you buy an Auto like a Remington 11-87 get a shell catcher. I've seen many trap shooters with copious amounts of chokes but I'd not worry too much about that honestly. Get a good set of ear plugs because ear muffs get old after about 6+ rounds of 100 clays and they can scratch your stock.

To be honest go to WalMart and get a box of 100 Federal shells with "3 drams" of powder and 1.5 ounces of shot with number 8 shot. That is the easiest way to get into trap, later on you can start reloading (when I recommend MEC equipment).

Its not a hard sport at all, it is a sport of kings, leisure and good times with the people at the gun range.

Don't flash your money, don't have an attitude, don't cuss, don't let your empty shells hit the guy to the right of you, help some people picking up their shells, don't start out on the handicap shoots just start on the 25, be willing to learn and do not be hard on yourself if you start out shooting 12 out of 25. Just enjoy the shooting, experience and you'll run into a lot (A LOT) of advice at the range ;)

good luck, good shooting and good fun!
    I am sworn to protect the Constitution of the U.S.A. from all threats both foreign and domestic.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links